Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#43492 - 2003-07-29 04:58 AM ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: USA
Hey guys,

I have been trying to determine the best way to deploy service packs and hot fix (patches) throughout my domain. I really dont want to run all this stuff at logon so I would like to schedule it to 1am like in Jens Beautiful KSMS script. (too much for me though)

Like NTDOCS http://www.kixtart.org/board/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004424 (Beautiful servicepackupdate.kix script) I would like to implement this script, but not at login process.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to use the jt.exe in NTDOCs script so I can use admin priveledges for updates at 1am? I got confused in the running scripts as admin threads....

Help?

Thanks.

--Rob [Wink]

[ 29. July 2003, 05:13: Message edited by: rbardo ]

#43493 - 2003-07-29 05:26 AM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

I found this from Jens write-up ( http://kixtart.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003208 ) but am confused on how to use it. I dont understand how the username and password wil lnot be seen if its right there in the script? this brings up a relative question, using KiXscripts editor, it lets me package a script in an .exe file. Could I not just package a script in an .exe and it will take care of the visible username password issue?

Thanks guys,

Rob

[ 29. July 2003, 05:29: Message edited by: rbardo ]

#43494 - 2003-07-29 05:51 AM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

I found the scheduletask() UDF I think I understand this one..

But still the big question.. With this UDF, I would define the username and password in the script. What stops any user from opening the script with a text editor and getting the username and password?

Cant I just package it as an .EXE file??
Also, how does JT.exe need to be installed on clients? (just dump in %windir%)?

Thanks,

Rob [Roll Eyes]

[ 29. July 2003, 07:02: Message edited by: rbardo ]

#43495 - 2003-07-29 01:32 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
We do automated maintenance on hundreds of servers using the following concept:

Once, from a central system, running with Domain Admin rights, we use the tsControl UDF to schedule tasks on all of the remote systems. The task is scheduled using a domain-admin account. Thus, when the task runs, it inherits the admin rights, and doesn't require the admin password to be stored anywhere.

Our "deploy" tool is a GUI that prompts for task information - product, install args, time/date to execute, and a file that lists all of the systems we should deploy to, one system name per line. A task is defined in memory and then pushed to each listed server.

I'll post the deploy script when I get to work. It's a KixForms based script, and while it works with the SWDIST directory structure and INSTALL.KIX (posted earlier) script, it can easily be modified to run any script copied to the target server.

Glenn

PS - tsControl also includes a KixForms GUI to manage tasks on any local or remote system. Search for tsControl and you can download a ZIP with the UDF, sample files, documentation, and the tsAdm GUI tool. It's also available from KixForms.org

#43496 - 2003-07-29 02:32 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
JT.EXE does not need to be installed on any computer except the one that it is run from. Just copy it into your KiXtart scripts diredctory for starters.

I consider admin scripts to be secure as they will only be installed into a foder that an administrator has access to, thus the username/password can be contained in these admin scripts. Alternatively, run the script

Regular users should not have access (not even read) to admin scripts.

[ 29. July 2003, 14:35: Message edited by: sealeopard ]

#43497 - 2003-07-29 07:16 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

So, I can simply keep jt.exe in the netlogon folder and run the script against it from the user logon script and it will assign a task to the user's system?

So this is not really a service or anything??

I think im gettin confused on how it works in comparison to the sysstem task scheduler running as a service..

help?> [Confused]

ps. I look forward to the code Glenn..

#43498 - 2003-07-29 07:28 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
You should not run this as a logon scrippt but rather as an admin script! JT.EXE simply submits a task to the Task Scheduler service that runs on each local computer.

#43499 - 2003-07-29 07:31 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

JT is a command-line interface for the Task Scheudler service. It is used to schedule tasks on local and remote computers.

It also should not be used in login scripts if you provide administrative accounts/passwords to JT as this would expose the account.

You want to use task scheduling through administrative scripts that only the appropriate administrators have access to. This is also the basis of KSMS. Whether you use Glenn's or my UDFs doesn't matter as long as you keep the scheduling scripts secure.

#43500 - 2003-07-29 08:34 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

Think I got it now...

I will copy jt.exe to all system %windrv%
Put my admin scripts packaged in an .exe on a hidden share accessable to only admins and then call the admin .exe from the logon script.

so how does the logon script get access to the hidden share that is locked down to only admins??

Sorry guys, I think Im picking up little by little... [Roll Eyes]

#43501 - 2003-07-29 08:38 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

[Confused]

You just need a single admin script that schedules the update on every computer from a central admin computer. There's no need for a login script to do this. The JT.EXE can be accessible throught the shared folder, it doesn't need to be on every machine.

#43502 - 2003-07-29 09:07 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

wait a minute...

so jt.exe can remotely schedule a task on a remote client machine, given the admin is the scheduler? At that point the admin sets the params of which the task should be carried out by the client node? ie: call a script from a specified location..

I need to look at teh specifics on this jt.exe to fully understand it.. Gonna look for help on it now.

-_Rob [Eek!]

#43503 - 2003-07-29 10:13 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Read the FAQ Forum under Installing an Application as an Admin

#43504 - 2003-07-29 11:57 PM Re: ServicepackUpdate.kix (revisit for jt.exe)
rbardo Offline
Fresh Scripter

Thanks guys!!

and

Thanks Glenno!!!

That is one bad mamma jamma and it works really well!!!!!!

woohoo!

[Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 128 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
SERoyalty, mytar, Gabriel, Alex_Evos, Dansen
17869 Registered Users

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org