I guess that originally KiXtart had only commands, with support for functions coming later. This would have meant that early documentation dealt with operators, variables and everything else. Everything else was lumped under the title "commands".

The documentation is dodgy in places. I don't think that there are any real errors left, but it does need a bit of an overhaul to update examples, fix ommissions and add clarification to some of the entries.

Things like "dim", "do until", "for next", "if endif" are clearly not commands - they are language control structures.

Things like "display", "cls" and so-on are clearly commands.

Things like ":" (label) are normally also differentiated for syntax highlighting.

Other language control statements like "BREAK" and "DEBUG" are a little harder to categorise. They are definately not control structures, but they don't really fit into the command category either.

For syntax highlighting (and indenting etc) purposes it is not appropriate for language control constructs to be categorised with the rest of the command set.

Fortunately, the distinctions are obvious. You can therefore run through the commands section of the manual and decide which category the commands best fit into. A number of us support syntax files for other editors, and that's what we did

I "maintain" the VIM syntax file, which is a little out of date now. You are welcome to download the editor, or I can mail it to you if you'd like to just look at the syntax file itself.

If you'd like to look at the syntax files for other languages, either search for them on the board or ask.

I recommend that you start a new thread in the General forum, as this thread is not really appropriate for the suggestions forum.

Quote:

Also, if you are willing please note if you’ve coded in another language

Loads. Other than KiXtart highlights are: DataBasic, A*L*L (Pick), Informix 4GL, C, Forth, various JCLs, AWK, Ksh, Bash, HTML, PHP, PERL (briefly and never again I hope), Java, JScript, Assembler, Machine Code (definately not my favorite!), VB, VBA, VBScript and a load more.

Or did you mean "spoken" language?