Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#98081 - 2002-03-27 02:38 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
yes yes, but what if that kix process opens new process. isn't the std I/0 also in new process correct?
I know that you need pipe to kix, as many others too.
but it's not gonna happen in near future...

download KiXnet

#98082 - 2002-03-28 04:22 AM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear Richard,

Great update. It was already hard to catch temporary file, but now it only
becomes harder to do it.
Possible that Ruud can his current point of view about pipe to kix.
greetings.

btw: this week we will also update our site with it.
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#98083 - 2002-07-25 06:42 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Anonymous
Unregistered

EEP!! I've just redone my scripts and am using KixCrypt to protect the account credentials that I use for SU.EXE from being visible to the users. I thought it was working fine, until now...
Doing a search of my users personal drives, I have now found no less than two dozen of the temporary (randomly named) .kix files that were not deleted after login. These are being left right in the root of my users' personal drives. I'm worse off now that I was before. Now the sensitive password is not only visible to the user, but being presented to them right in their personal drives.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

#98084 - 2002-07-25 06:59 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
using after logon some sort of deletion stuff which deletes all files ending .kix

also, using my script encryption script does not use any temporary files but only place where the script is decrypted is the memory during execution...

anyway, righard may have something info for you on this...

download KiXnet

#98085 - 2002-07-26 09:07 AM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
EEP! indeed.

Jim, can you confirm that you are using version 2.12b?

I've not come across this one before (natch) so any details you can give would help.

KiXcrypt should not output to a file that it cannot delete or overwrite, so the files *should* be deleted, or nulled. KiXtart files contain there own sematics for deleting the file (unless you specify the "-k" switch), so the file is deleted in at least two diffetent places.

Can you confirm that the temporary files contain the script (rather than created empty)?

If you are calling the encrypted script from a batch file you may want to change directory before running it to a known safe directory (%TEMP% or similar) - the temporary file is created in the current working directory, and if you have locked down access to the users root drive there might be some permissions weirdness going on (raised permissions during logon?)

The only way I can think to cause the files to be left behind is if the "-k" flag has been used to defeat the KiXtart script delete semantics, and the KiXcrypt script abends or is killed.

If changing the directory doesn't help, please answer the questions above and include details of your environment.

#98086 - 2002-07-26 11:07 AM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Anyone else can verify that clicking page 2 of this topic tries you to connect to a site called nexusglobe.com prompting for a password [Confused] ??!!??

whats going on here then ...

#98087 - 2002-07-26 11:10 AM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Administrator

"Masken" included a graphic link in his post (first on this page) to a site which requires a login to access.

Perhaps a kindly moderator could remove the offending link...

#98088 - 2002-07-26 03:54 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Done!

My first Moderator action [Smile]

#98089 - 2002-12-19 12:18 AM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Administrator

Get the small (15 Kb) executable kixcrypt.exe from here.
Get the small (15 Kb) console-less executable wkixcrpt.exe from here.

18 December 2002 Version 2.14b released
Actually, it was released a few days ago, but the board has been down [Frown] It's amazing how much a part of my daily life monitoring the KiXtart BB has become!
Changes
  • A bug in memory allocation causing a failure on Windows XP has been solved. Note, I could not replicate the failure, but testing at the site where the failure occurred suggests it has been resolved. Let me know if it hasn't. Many thanks to ElegantSol for his help in resolving this.
  • The first "cannot find self" error message is no longer displayed. It wasn't particularly useful and would appear on systems which don't expand the command line to include the command extension, such as most NT+ systems.
  • In DEBUG mode non-ASCII characters present on the command line are reported, with their values.
  • Well, you asked for it, now you've got it. Oe of the most popular requests has been for a method of setting the directory that the temporary file is created in. There is now a "-t path" option when you decrypt which will create the temporary file in "path"
Additional Info
The API which retrieves the command line parameters cannot handle 8-bit characters. If you supply an 8-bit character the actual value I get is undetermined.
This restriction has been in place in all version of KiXcrypt, but I have only recently received an email on the subject.
In practice this means that you must stick to 7-bit ASCII characters on the command line. Note, non-printable characters such as the BEL (control-G) or the escape character are fine, so long as you work out a way of passing them on a command line.
7-bit ASCII characters are characters with a decimal value below 128.
The only exception is NULL (Chr(0)), which is an end-of-string terminator. You may have trouble typing CR and LF characters, and the DOS end-of-file mark (control-Z) may cause some oddities as well.

#98090 - 2002-12-18 02:18 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
ElegantSol Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Cranbury, NJ, USA
Thanks Richard!

I think it would be appropriate for you to be the one to close my original thread in the Starters forum by pointing to this resolution!

Again great job! [Cool]

Steve

#98091 - 2002-12-18 03:29 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Jose Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Loc: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Couple of days ago (before kaos) I downloaded the 1.3 free demo.
First time I used, Its exelent.
I am going foward Exe Package Creator on new release.
I also noticed that when you open a file throught the last four on the file list it doesnt execute and debug. Not the same when you do file open.
Is .exe supposed to execute on netlogon? Or throught application as an independent software? ----- Pardon my ignorance. [Razz]

#98092 - 2002-12-18 04:04 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
masken Offline
MM club member

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
quote:
"Masken" included a graphic link in his post (first on this page) to a site which requires a login to access.
[Embarrassed]

Sorry about that, thanks for editing it out! [Smile]

hmm.. been away from KiX scripting for too long... [Wink]

But if anyone could please give an explanation on how to use this for a 3.63 loginscript where users have the SU service installed, I'd be really grateful...

1. Make a batchfile that calls the application that needs elevated privilegues with the help of SU. For example:
echo mypassword | su username "C:\temp\setup.exe /q"

2. Encrypt this file with KiXCrypt

3. Call the encrypted *.exe from within the loginscript?

[Confused]

I need a vacation [Wink]

#98093 - 2003-01-17 02:51 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Administrator

Major feature release - include support files in encrypted package.

Apologies for the long line.

Get the small (20 Kb) executable kixcrypt.exe from here.
Get the small (20 Kb) console-less executable wkixcrpt.exe from here.

17 January 2003 Version 2.16b released
Phew, less than a month and another feature release. This release adds the second most requested feature - multiple file inclusion. This means that you can now bundle the KiXtart interpreter, ini files, registry dumps, additional scripts or whatever you fancy with the main script.
Changes
  • Bug fix: A variable scope error meant that files created in a temporary directory using the "-t" feature would not be deleted in some cases.
  • New feature: You may include any number of arbitrary files by using the "-f filename" option. You may repeat the "-f" option as many times as you like, up to a limit of 255 files.
  • New feature: Three environment variables are created when the script is decrypted. These are detailed below.
Additional Info
The "-f" option allows you to include arbitrary support files in the package. Note the following features and restrictions:
  • Support files will be unpacked into the same directory as the primary script file.
  • Path information is not kept - all unpacked files will be created in the same directory.
  • Support files are encrypted in the crypted.exe
  • Support files will be created with their original name. Only the primary script file will have a random name.
  • The primary script file is always the last file to be unpacked and the first to be deleted, to reduce the time it is visible in the file system.
  • Support files are not deleted until the primary file has finished executing, so may be visible in the file system for some time.
  • If there is already a file present with the name of the support file being unpacked the process will abort and remove all files unpacked so far. There is no option to overwrite existing files.
It is possible for the process decrypting the file to create them in a directory specified by the "-t" option.
This means that your own scripts may not know where to find the support files.
To get around this, the following environment variables are provided:
KIXCRYPTVER The version of KiXcrypt.
KIXCRYPTDIR The temporary directory that KiXcrypt is unpacking the files in.
KIXCRYPTFILE The full path name of the script being executed.
Note: Some of these values are now also provided by KiXtart macros in recent releases.
Example
The following example creates an encrypted version of the file "update.kix". There are two support files, "control.ini" and "update.gif" which are packaged with it.
code:
kixcrypt.exe update.kix -f control.ini -f splash.gif

When the crypted.exe is run, it will unpack the three files into the current directory (or the directory defined by "-t"). The files "control.ini" and "splash.gif" will be created with their originbal names. The primary script file "update.kix" will be created with a random file name.

Here is a more complicated example:
code:
kixcrypt.exe update.kix -f control.ini -f spash.gif -f c:\winnt\kix32.exe "%%%%KIXCRYPTDIR%%%%\kix32.exe ^s"

This example will add the KiXtart executable to the file. The path will be lost, so the executable will be unpacked in the same directory as the primary script.
To be sure that your are running your version of kix32.exe, the command is defined at the end of the line - the "^s" will be replaced with the primary scripts random file name.
You must use the four "%%%%" characters to represent a single "%" in the final command line.
If you now execute the encrypted file with the command:
code:
crypted.exe -t c:\temp

The four files will be unpacked into the c:\temp directory (assuming no file already exists with the same name).
Assuming the primary script is created with the random file name "WSSHGSMO.kix" the command which will be executed is:
quote:
%KIXCRYPTDIR%\kix32.exe c:\temp\WSSHGSMO.kix

#98094 - 2003-01-17 04:13 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Richard - how about you build us a windows GUI wrapper (not talking Kixforms here) that presents a listbox and a browser dialog and one cound then select the files to be included in the package - maybe allow us to set a few options - then have the proggy generate the exe for us ? Kinda like winzip or some other package builders - just a thought.
#98095 - 2003-01-17 04:31 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Great Idea!

OH OH OH, and maybe a Help button. [Wink]

#98096 - 2003-01-17 05:08 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Administrator

Hmmm. Not a bad idea.

I should be able to cobble a simple GUI front-end together using JavaScript. It's just about time to leave for the weekend, so I'll have a butchers next week.

Not too sure about the help button though, takes all the fun out of trial and error [Wink]

#98097 - 2003-01-17 05:13 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Java-Script ???

Java-Script ???

Wad-up-wid-dat ?

- Shawn "Trail and Error" Tassie

#98098 - 2003-01-17 07:36 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
MightyR1 Offline
MM club member

Loc: The Netherlands
Richard,

could you update the "kixcrypt -?" info?

It doesn't mention the -t, -f and the ^s...

Maybe add the same info in a readme.txt with version history???

TIA

- We'll either find a way or make one...
- Knowledge is power; knowing how to find it is more powerful...
- Problems don't exist; they are challenges...

#98099 - 2003-01-17 08:25 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
MightyR1 Offline
MM club member

Loc: The Netherlands
I've got 2 files:

[tst.vbs]
wscript.echo "Hello World"

[x.kix]
run "wscript tst.vbs //nologo"

I made a crypted.exe with this command:

wkixcrypt.exe -c -m "" x.kix "wkix32.exe -i ^s"

I still get a console flashing by...

What am I doing wrong???

- We'll either find a way or make one...
- Knowledge is power; knowing how to find it is more powerful...
- Problems don't exist; they are challenges...

#98100 - 2003-01-17 10:18 PM Re: UTILITY: KiXcrypt 2.16b - KiXtart encryption
ShaneEP Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
nevermind...Does the same thing for me too.

[ 17. January 2003, 22:22: Message edited by: CitrixMan ]

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.077 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org