Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#93201 - 2003-10-30 12:30 AM NT Telnet-style object
Gaven Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Washinton DC, USA
Is anybody aware of any COM objects in NT4 that can be used like telnet to connect to remote services such as http or smtp? Basically something that can open a VT100 or ANSI connection to a specified host and then send/receive information.
#93202 - 2003-10-30 01:57 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
yep
#93203 - 2003-10-30 01:59 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
nope

#93204 - 2003-10-30 04:45 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
yep. Internet Explorer [Smile]

#93205 - 2003-10-30 05:47 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Gaven Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

I would argue this is the worst forum on the internet. I ask if anybody knows of a COM Object to do what I want and I get:

"yep"
"nope"
and "yep. Internet Explorer"

Incase everybody is on a mental vacation this week, the only answer that makes sense is Les's "nope". What are you talking about Jens? Is there a IE Object that the rest of us don't know about or are you just a nit-wit who likes to hear himself type?

#93206 - 2003-10-30 09:54 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Breaker Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Yorkshire, England
I looked for something similar a while ago - didn't find anything appropriate, and ended up writing a Perl script using Net::Telnet to talk to my firewall.

It depends exactly what you want to do - if you just want to talk http to a host then the iexplore.exe should do the job. Look at MSDN for the documentation.

"Worst forum on the net"? A bit harsh for one occasion when the answers were perhaps a little less informative than you'd like. I'll let the others defend themselves from the personal abuse, but I'm happy to stand up for the usual quality of information provided by this board.

[Wink]

[ 30. October 2003, 09:56: Message edited by: Breaker ]

#93207 - 2003-10-30 10:02 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Gaven Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Breaker, my main goal is to communicate with SMTP servers with something better then a command line utility. I do appreciate your input, it was clearly the only response worth posting. As for my comments, I have a bit of a history with Jens regarding my opinion of this forum and his moderation of it.
#93208 - 2003-10-30 10:46 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
Gaven,

Your language is immoderate and unhelpful. You managed to alienate yourself on this forum last time you started a rant, which accounts for your very low rating.

Try to be less urgent, and avoid personal attacks - it won't get you the information you need.

If a response does not contain enough information, ask for more. If it is irrelevant or unhelpful, ignore it.

As for your specific query, yes, there are quite a few com automation objects available which will allow you to create network connections.

Most (all?) are commercial, although Catalyst used to provide a cut-down version for personal use IIRC.

Some versions of the MS development tools also provide a socket com / ActiveX API.

Another alternative is to use terminal emulators which include scripting interfaces.

There is not however a standard facility available with the vanilla OS - the socket library and API is there and you can program it with low level languages like 'C' but there are no scriptable objects.

The reason no-one has taken this too far is that there is a greater problem using KiXtart to control these connections. This is that KiXtart has no native binary data types, so unless you can be certain that the data is going to be entirely printable ASCII you are stuffed.

If you want to communicate with SMTP servers use something like blat and wrap up the interface in a UDF. This is a very powerful little tool and you will not be able to replicate it's features in KiXtart.

If you are determined to go down the programmable sockets route, perform a search on all the forums. This query comes up quite regularly and there is a lot of information on the board.

#93209 - 2003-10-30 10:59 AM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Breaker Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

A quick Google on search term "freeware smtp object" returns a few components like this:

http://www.ostrosoft.com/smtp_component.asp

Most of these are purely for sending mail, and some will obviously have more properties and methods than others. Depends whether you want to send mail or query for some other response (what else can you do?)

Perhaps I've misinterpreted your requirements (and this is why you should be specific when posting to any forum, not just this one), but I suspect that since such objects as you appear to have requested can be found on Google in a matter of moments, the elder statesmen of the board felt that your search should be more... how can I put it? Self-motivated?

Not that I'm defending their somewhat curt response either. I share your feeling that such responses were probably not worth the time it took to type them without some clarification, but also can't condone your slightly snappy response, your previous with Jens notwithstanding.

Have searched Google also for "telnet objects" but the returns thus far (have only looked at two of them) seem to be either clients or servers and are not actually COM-able.

Hope you find what you need - failing that consider Perl if this is purely for your own use, and won't become too complicated in distribution.

Breaker

#93210 - 2003-10-30 02:49 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Not sure this will help do what you want... and it's not free, but...

http://www.dynu.com/dynutcpsocket.asp

#93211 - 2003-10-30 03:32 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
quote:
I would argue this is the worst forum on the internet
Many ppl still remember your last rant HERE and are once again rating you with their keyboards.

Was it Clint Eastwood that said "Don't leave angry, just leave"?

#93212 - 2003-10-30 03:58 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
-Stitch Jones from Heartbreak Ridge

#93213 - 2003-10-30 04:10 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Your words:
quote:
telnet to connect to remote services such as http or smtp
IE COM automation can be used to connect to remote HTTP service to e.g. pull webpages off the web server or fill out forms, or display pages. There are a couple of UDFs in the UDF Forum and a couple of recent threads. You don't seem to have searched the board first.

There are also well-documented ways to connect to SMTP servers for sending email. This is explained in the FAQ Forum and there are UDFs, too.

And based on the very limited info you provided, which runs counter to ABC's of KiXtart board etiquette and message to new forum users , Section F, you got the answers the same way you posed the question.

Communications is a give-and-take function. Give enough information in a nice way and take away even more information in the same nice way.

And now go search the BBS.

[ 30. October 2003, 16:23: Message edited by: sealeopard ]

#93214 - 2003-10-30 04:19 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object

Jens, the fact that you still attempt to assist this jackass amazes me.

I'd have closed or deleted this topic the first time his attitude re-surfaced. [Confused]

#93215 - 2003-10-30 04:25 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

I just take issues with the KiXtart BBS being bad. If one knows how to navigate around this BBs, then all the info is alreayd here. Thus, I show that the BBS is good but users might need to learn how to use it effectively.

[ 30. October 2003, 16:45: Message edited by: sealeopard ]

#93216 - 2003-10-30 04:42 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object

There have always been members here that didn't get what they wanted, thought that Les was being too 'french' to them, or had issues with language, or put off when told to STFB or RTFM, or just pissed that the answer wasn't handed to them on a silver platter.

However I draw the line at his obnoxious personal attacks and blaming of the board for the responses to his diatribes.

People like him will never be statisfied with any amount of effort or assistance on anyone's part, no one is right but him, and nothing can be done to change his opinion of anything.

He will not acknowledge any shortcomings on his part, he will not appreciate any assistance you (or anyone) provides, and I have no concern for his opinion of anything.

The moderators here have thousands of posts each which denote our efforts to help others, and the boards statistics prove that.

#93217 - 2003-10-30 05:21 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Tigard, OR
Gaven,

The name calling has to stop. This will tick off anybody! With the curt responses that were done in response to your initial question - you have upset people.

Things to remember here:
(1) We are volunteers - we have regular jobs to do too. We do this because we believe in KiXtart and what it has to offer.
(2) We as Moderators and other regulars answer hundreds if not thousands of posts and most people are happy with them.
(3) If you cannot play nice - KINDLY FIND THE DOOR AND LEAVE!
(4) If you ask a question and you don't like the answer - try a different method. Be patient with your responder. It is actually better than most boards where you would not get a response.

Kent

#93218 - 2003-10-30 05:28 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

And to be honest, all three initial anwsers are correct with regards to the specific question asked:
quote:
Is anybody aware of ...?
This type of question should lead to an either 'YES' or 'NO answer as one is either aware of or not aware of something.

Oh, and please prove that the COM-automation part of Internet Explorer is NOT capable of interfacing with an HTTP Server to e.g. send/receive information (for example send a request to retrieve a HTML page).

#93219 - 2003-10-30 09:19 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
if not xmlhttp is considered to be part of IE com.

download KiXnet

#93220 - 2003-10-30 11:07 PM Re: NT Telnet-style object
Breaker Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Just looked back to see what was going on with this thread...

Nice to see everyone has simmered down a little from Gaven's last foray - I'd forgotten that.

Also noticed I've finally managed my second century of posts - hah! Only ten and a half thousand to go and Lonk is in my sights!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

By the way, Gaven, if you cobble together any working code, please post it - 'twould be interesting to see. However, I suspect that Richard will be proved right in that, for once, perhaps Kix should not be the tool of choice.

Evenin', all.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Shawn, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.16 seconds in which 0.129 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org