Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#86881 - 2002-07-18 11:46 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Jim,

You could do pretty much the same with Kixforms - only thing not supported are combobox, flat button & transparent image. Forms has a clickable image control, in fact, Bryce used one to great effect in one of his most recent scripts. But I wouldn't be too modest here Jim, most of what you did here, is more a testament to your scripting flare and ability, than the tools used.

#86882 - 2002-07-19 12:22 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Loc: PA, USA
Lonkero,

You rock! I'll certainly take you up that offer. It'll be interesting to see where the script goes when it's opened to the public!

Shawn,

That was it! The combobox was what I needed as it's intergral to this script. The combo saves a history of the hostname or IP that is entered in the name box. They are 'linked' so to speak to overcome the readonly issue of KixGUI. Info is entered in the textbox and stored in the reg which the combo uses to populate itself. Selecting an item from the combo populates the textbox which is what the script reads from to perform the desired action. Anyhow, I belive that when I went to rewrite into Kixforms that was what I needed.

Thanks for nice comment! The ultimate BB people need to include a ::BLUSH:: tag. BTW, if you do search on my member number, you'll most likely find a topic associated with every facet of this script, including the one above. We really have a wonderfully helpful community here; by far the most receptive, active and helpful I've ever seen.

The one thing that would be really nice is the support for columns in the combo and list boxes. I found that after the history gets populated with hostnames, they all start to look alike. So I tacked on a optional description to allow the user to make note. It cheesy though. The hostname is a reg data entry and the value being the description. They get combined in the combobox like this "HOSTNAME :: This is Jim's
box." Then I do a Split() on "::" to seperate them again. Ducttape solution no doubt. [Smile]

...the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

#86883 - 2002-07-19 12:35 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
reg data...

jim, my invecha had one problem, it was based around full registry data.

what it actually did was add some 1M to reg-size on just one c-class subnet.

and I didn't use it for anything else but clientname ip,mac,winver,officever...

about the space... I think 100MB bandwith is enough, cause that was all our university can offer to homenets.

have to think and talk about this later on this week. now I'm going bed (time is just 01:40) as I have pdc which scsi-drives has to be ghosted and...
yeah by me.

so, busy day tomorrow means, going bed this early.

fellows, try to survive!

download KiXnet

#86884 - 2002-07-19 12:41 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Well, I'll make an extra concerted effort to build a 100% fully functional ComboBox in the next release ... and maybe I can convince you to try forms for your next project. Regardless, would still love to hear more of your ideas and feedback. Not just for forms, but for this whole GUI business (that goes for you too Jooel) ! [Wink]

[ 19 July 2002, 00:42: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#86885 - 2002-07-19 01:20 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Lonkero,

The reg data is not really dynamic and does not populate based on the network. Entries are made manually and stored there for future reference and use. That's a great idea though. Poll all active boxes on the network and populate a menu. That can be stored in an temp array. I think I ask Alex to incorporate a WIN32 Network Browser method, don't remember the outcome?

Shawn,
Sorry to keep adding, but tack that on list too. File, Folder, and Network browsers.

No convinving necessary, I was thoroughly impressed with KixLander and Light brite. I was also working on a user manager when you submitted yours. We used Enterprise Administrator until the W2K active directory came along and then sent us NetIQ's DRA tool which is SOOOOOOOOOOO slow. The project got dropped indefinitely. Recreate what wheel I said? [Smile] See pic below.

However, this project will be rewritten for Forms as soon as the combo is ready. That was the original intent due to optionbox issue and read-only combo in KixGUI. Also from what I remember, Alex was taking a break on kixgui development for a while.

Speaking of SCSI, can you believe that Seagate shipped me a $5000 external Viper Ultrium LTO today, and didn't include a frickin' $10 terminator??? [Mad] Throw me a frickin' bone here. I'd love to meet the accountant who made that call...

...the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

#86886 - 2002-07-19 07:12 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

where you need a terminator?

haven't used since -00 when found out that it's not needed as card can determinate where the terminator should be...

download KiXnet

#86887 - 2002-07-19 07:40 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

and shawn, what can I say.
I want to see after some development kix "TQ" shipped or even incorporated to kix.
latter is just dream, but having a qui takes as really away from comparing kix to novel's logonscript processor.

It surely gives some wind under kix's wings as it's flying at the moment.

there is no such amount of programmers as fully functional scripting languages might have, but as it fast and reliable, it's the best.

I don't know what I'm talking here. maybe just the early wakening...

download KiXnet

#86888 - 2002-07-19 06:18 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Jim:
quote:
Speaking of SCSI, can you believe that Seagate shipped me a $5000 external Viper Ultrium LTO today
I'm interested in one or two of those, too. Would you mind giving me a user experience once you got those thingies up and running? What's the realistic backup speed that you achive?

#86889 - 2002-07-19 08:12 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Houston TX
Shawn, how about the ability to change the default icon that is being used.

Bryce

#86890 - 2002-07-19 08:57 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Bryce,

Sure thing - will be coming out with a maint. build on the weekend. Will have the revamped hide/show enablement. As well, will include a new property for the Form object:

$Form.Icon = ".\fraggers.ico"

-Shawn

ps. Not too sure if you already have a cool .ico file to use. Might want to check-out some of the freebie icon editors, available on the web.

[ 19 July 2002, 20:58: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#86891 - 2002-07-19 09:17 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Lonkero,

You were right! Someone or something unplugged the internal ribbon cable to the onboard SCSI... [Wink] Oddly enough the manual calls for the terminator and all of the Quantum DLTs ship with one as well? Learn something every day! Makes sense considering I can't remember the last time I had to fuss with HDD termination. I need to get under the hood more often... Thanks!

Jens,

Unfortunately we're not running it on an Ultra160 bus which is where I think they were claiming was required to really see the boost. I'll let you know next week how it compares to the DLT 40/80's. IMHO, Compaq (Jim shivers) has a nice single drive rack SDLT 110/220 library that holds 26 tapes for $8k that can be upgraded to two drives for another $4k. Definitely worth the money! I HATE DOING TAPES! Can someone please write a script that changes tapes for me? In fact this may merit a .dll [Smile] Or even better, my own personal mini-me!

1st bad impression is that LTO tapes use stickers... Probably to jive with barcode stickers? I like the cards DLTs use. Not sure what SDLT is using, but knowing the DLT IV can be read by SDLT drives, I'd bet they haven't changed.

Bryce, what'ch you got there?

#86892 - 2002-07-20 10:22 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Thanks Shawn!

quote:

Bryce, what'ch you got there?

Well... do to a lack of challenging admin projects... can't really do to much kix when all you are doing is a mind numbing PC tech work...

I started playing around and this side project that I have been working on, and this was born...... (thanks to kixforms)

Version 1.0 was nothing more than an exercise in pulling web page data and printing it in a dos screen....

http://isorg.net/~jumpgate

You can find the code here http://isorg.net/~jumpgate/BIN

#86893 - 2002-07-20 06:55 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Bryce,

Build 22 of Kixforms (a maint build) is available here:

Kixforms Build 22

The syntax for setting the FORM ICON is:

$Form.Icon = "FullPathToICO"

Caveat: the next major version of Kixforms will have a new method for doing this:

$Form.Icon = $Form.LoadIcon("FullPathToICO")

Also fixed that show(0) thingy.

All: I have to devise another versioning scheme for Kixforms, think I move to Lonkero's suggestion. Or maybe just make it like Kixtart's scheme, ie: 1.22 and then 2.0 kinda thingy

#86894 - 2002-07-20 09:20 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Thanks Shawn!!

has win9x been fixed yet? [Big Grin]

#86895 - 2002-07-21 10:03 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear,

We have also add on the main page a direct URL link to your package. So everybody can
easy get the latest release from original source.

Current version on our site 1.0.0.22

Some wishes for the package
- can you add your examples to the package. so members doesn't need a copy-n-paste action.
- can you add release notes to the package. currently we had to read this topic to
get the possible changes you have made.
greetings.
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#86896 - 2002-07-23 01:00 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
rclarke Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Oxfordshire, United Kingdom.
I originally decided to develop with KiXGUI as opposed to Kixforms due to differences in functionality (comboboxes, progress bars etc.). However, times have changed and due to Shawn’s dedication, Kixforms has marched on and most issues have either been already addressed or are currently being worked on. The only problem remaining is the out of date documentation.

Therefore, rather than wait for Shawn to do everything for us [Wink] I would like to suggest the creation of a web site listing all the Kixform commands and their syntax. I would be more than happy to create and host (via a free ISP) the content, however I would need a little help in compiling the up-to-date command list. At the end of the day, Kixforms is Shawn’s baby and therefore the decision is ultimately his, however I would be interested in other KiXtarter’s opinions. Please note that if this does get the green light, the web-site would not appear tomorrow as there would be a significant amount of work involved.

Rod.

#86897 - 2002-07-23 01:13 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Hi there Shawn,

did I mention already that it would be nice to have something similar with picturebox() as in KiXbgi with Setactivepage() , Setvisualpage() (without the memory leak of course [Big Grin] )

Am about to port this hearts thingie from bgi and it really sucks w/o this functionality

thanx

Jochen

#86898 - 2002-07-23 03:24 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Will Hetrick Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
Hey Shawn
What about adding the ability to talk to the computer and it will do all the coding for us! [Big Grin]

#86899 - 2002-07-23 09:13 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Will, hehee - maybe we could employ MS Agents for that task, eh ? Think they got some speech regognition in there - although admittedly, the very first thing I disable in word is that freak'n "Springy" the paper clip thingy.

Jochen, agreed, multiple (switchable) bitmaps is a very neat thing to have. BGI supported 16 of them - will add it to the list of things to do ...

-Shawn

#86900 - 2002-07-23 09:19 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Rod,

Almost missed your post there. Your offer is very much appreciated, I think I will take you up on it. My time is running short here at work right now, but I do have some specific thoughts on this. Lets discuss later tonight ?

Thanks again,

-Shawn

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Shawn, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 382 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.235 seconds in which 0.181 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org