#81982 - 2002-11-27 02:37 PM
Loc: Tigard, OR
These should all be freeware
- Regshot v1.7
- Aezay Registry Commander
- RegEditX 1.31
- Registry Pruner
- Easy Cleaner
!!! CAUTION - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE "TEA TIME" ENABLED FOR SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY AS THIS PAGE WILL TRY TO HIJAK YOUR HOMEPAGE!!!
What is REGSHOT? - Version 1.7 (now includes source code too!)
RegShot is a small registry compare utility that allows you to quickly take a snapshot of your registry and then compare it with a second one - done after doing system changes or installing a new software product. The changes report can be produced in text or HTML format and contains a list of all modifications that have taken place between snapshot1 and snapshot2. In addition, you can also specify folders (with sub filders) to be scanned for changes as well.
What can I do with REGSHOT?
If you are a knowledge seeker,you may be curious about following things:
Windows itself or some system optimize programs consealed the changes they made to the registry.
"Suspicious" programs left "trashes" in the system without notification.
RegShot can reveal what they have done and give you a detailed report.
Further more,if you want to Undo the changes they made, maybe you will interest in UNDOreg--Which you can download at Davide '!bAsH' 's Page (Current is only for the English section of Regshot)
This one looks pretty doggone good!
Aezay Registry Commander
Major Geeks Link (Alternate Link)
- Use this application as a replacement for the registry editor that comes with windows (REGEDIT.EXE).
- Registry Commander can do what all other registry editors can't such as cut/copy/paste, advanced search, change value type (string => binary), bookmark of keys and values, support of other types than just strings, dword and binary values.
- A thing I never understood is why no registration database editors showed the size of the value data, this is properly one of the things that made me create this application!
Features in Registry Commander v1.02
- Registry Commander uses some standard shortcuts defined from back in the DOS days in applications such as Norton Commander.
- A column always displays the size of a values data.
- Supports all 11 data types in the registry, defined in the "winnt.h" header file. Most other registry editors only handles Strings, Binary, DWord & Expanded Strings sometimes even MultiString, that's only 5.
- Copy or Rename/Move entire keys and values from one key to another.
- A history list has been added to quickly jump from current key to a previously key.
- Cut or Copy keys and values from one key and paste them into another, using the clipboard.
- Able to change a value's data type. E.g. you can change a string into a binary value without changing the contents of the data.
- Search part of or the entire registry database, not only can you search by a keyword, but you can also search by size or data type.
- Registry Commander allows you to bookmark keys or values so you can access them more quickly.
RegCool < Just tested and this app appears out-of-date
is a full-featured Registry editor and manager. It allows you to cut, copy, paste, move, delete, and rename keys and values. It offers an explorer style; interface remote Registry editing; .reg and hive (Regedit and RegEdt32 compatible) file editing; import, export, backup, and restore functionality; and flexible property pages for setting keys and values. An addressbar allows you to access registry keys and values quicly. Especially practical is the option to compare various registries
RegEditX 2.0 Adds an "editable" combo box to Regedit.
Other Registry tools..
Clean up your Registry's SharedDLLs key. Orphaned entries can cause install and uninstall programs to misbehave. And can even trigger bogus Registry Corrupted error messages. The program can also removed "ghosts", entries in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list that remain even after a program has been uninstalled.
EasyCleaner is a small program which searches Windows' registry for entries that are pointing nowhere. EasyCleaner also lets you delete all kinds of unnecessary files like temps, backups etc. You can search for duplicate files and you can view some intresting info about your disk space usage! You are also able to manage startup programs, invalid shortcuts and add/remove software list.
Added by NTDOC
Here are some links to other Registry Tools found during Google search.
Tools are untested and are not specifcally recommended but are simply listed to help those who were unable to find a specific tool.
Registrar Lite v2.x
Freeware flexible registry editor
Download Registrar Lite
Multi-Remote Registry Change v4.x
Multi-Remote Registry Change
Registry Workshop 2.x
- RegFind is a command-line tool with which you can search the Windows 2000 registry for arbitrary data, key names, or value names and optionally replace any of these with new values.
Download - Regfind
Edited by Kdyer (2008-06-16 11:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Link Updates
#81983 - 2002-11-27 03:46 PM
Re: Registry Tools
...on the topic of registry tools and more.
Regmon is a Registry monitoring utility that will show you which applications are accessing your Registry, which keys they are accessing, and the Registry data that they are reading and writing - all in real-time. This advanced utility takes you one step beyond what static Registry tools can do, to let you see and understand exactly how programs use the Registry. With static tools you might be able to see what Registry values and keys changed. With Regmon you'll see how the values and keys changed..
(not a registry tool but like RegMon, monitors file actions)
Filemon monitors and displays file system activity on a system in real-time. Its advanced capabilities make it a powerful tool for exploring the way Windows works, seeing how applications use the files and DLLs, or tracking down problems in system or application file configurations. Filemon's timestamping feature will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens, and its status column tells you the outcome. Filemon is so easy to use that you'll be an expert within minutes. It begins monitoring when you start it, and its output window can be saved to a file for off-line viewing. It has full search capability, and if you find that you're getting information overload, simply set up one or more filters.
Both of these tools are useful for analyzing how programs manipulate the registry and files so that those manipulations can then be scripted.
Give a man a fish and he will be back for more. Slap him with a fish and he will go away forever.
Moderator: Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Arend_, ShaneEP, Mart
and 201 anonymous users online.