Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#78454 - 2001-10-03 09:21 PM Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there,

I've spent some time to trace the error down: When a Windows NT Client (SP6a En) logs on to a Windows 2000 domain using the legacy logon script defined on the user, kix2001.rc3 fails when the script makes use of the 'USE "*" /DELETE' command. Kix crashes immediately ("IN_PAGE_ERROR"). According to the documentation, the connection to the netlogon-share should then *not* be dropped. I think that this could be due the way Windows 2000 handles its netlogon-share. When Active Directory is installed, the script is actually stored in \\<Servername>\SYSVOL\<Domainname>\Scripts-directory which might be a redirection and therefore causing the application error.

Workaround:
Make deletion of the mapped drives explicit.

Environment info:
- Client: Windows NT 4.0 Workstation SP6a (En), member of the Windows 2000 domain; there are no Kix-files locally
- Logon-User: Member of the Windows 2000 domain
- Server: Windows 2000 Server SP2 (En) with AD installed
- Logon-Script is set on the user account ("Logon script: kix32")
- the script is named "kixtart.scr" and is in the same directory as the .EXE
to Windows 2000 Server (SP2 En)
- Kix-version: 2001rc3

Please note that I also tried the %0\..\-notation to invoke the script out of a batch-File (.bat for compatibility reasons).

Kind regards,
Marc Staudacher

#78455 - 2001-10-05 07:25 PM Re: Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Marc,

welcome to the board !
Well, and another bug spotted in RC3 ...
Are you willing to test this behaviour with the previous build (49) , known as RC2(private build)???

If yes , I'll email it to you.

Can't test this , because of the lack of W2K Domain Controllers ...

Jochen

#78456 - 2001-10-05 07:57 PM Re: Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
I have seen two usages of that command both on this board and in the docs.

USE * /DELETE
USE "*" /DELETE

Are both considered acceptable? Is there an official position on this?

Does it make any difference if you leave out the quotes. I too, don't have AD to test.

#78457 - 2001-10-05 08:31 PM Re: Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Ruud van Velsen Moderator Offline
Developer

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Very good call. This seems very much like an issue related to the location of scripts on Win2000 domain controllers. I will look into this, and expect to fix this in the final build.

Thanks for the report!

Ruud

#78458 - 2001-10-08 09:29 AM Re: Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there,

First of all, I want to thank you for all your replies.

LLigetfa: Yes, i tried possible notations. As Kix has been a loose formatted language for long, several "equal" syntactical notations are possible as long as it is clear to the parser what it means. I think that explicit declaration can help to work it better.

jpol: Just send me the privat build. I will look into this and give you a short feedback. The issue has become non-critical to me as I've found a workaround. But if I can help to make kixtart an even better tool, I will.

Regarding the W2k-thing, I can't help either as I have no time for digging into it. What seems obvious to me is that Microsoft has a rather complex directory structure which maps the AD-database-layout. The reason behind this is to store (larger) binary objects not within the AD-database. As script files are external to the AD, FRS (aks "file replication services") is used to synchronize among DCs. It may be probable that they use mechanisms used before in DFS to redirect the script locations for legacy ("downlevel") clients (this is: NT and 9x).

Regards,
Marc

#78459 - 2001-10-12 06:31 PM Re: Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Ruud van Velsen Moderator Offline
Developer

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Just to confirm that this issue is related to the way Windows NT 4.0 SP6 handles the connections during the logon sequence. The final build of KiXtart 2001 will have a workaround to prevent the problem from occuring at all.

Regards,

Ruud

#78460 - 2001-10-14 01:08 AM Re: Bug Report: USE "*" /DELETE does not work when invoked as legacy script
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any idea on timeframe for Final Build?
I've delayed rollout to 190 schools so would appreciate a rough guess.

Kixtart is very highly valued in Warwickshire schools (in use since '95), thanks for all your excellent work Ruud.

[ 14 October 2001: Message edited by: Chris Page ]

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  ShaneEP, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.