Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6540 - 2001-01-29 01:29 PM Drive mapping
kjhoskin Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Plymouth, Devon, UK
I'm running a test w2k and I've got a script mapping some drives which work fine, apart from one drive that doesn't map all the time. All the drives I'm trying to map are on the same box apart from the troublsome one which sits on a Quantum Snap server. This drive is a user scratch area and being on a snap server has the advantage of being easily shared between Mac, Netware, NT and Unix. Trouble is it doesn't always map I'm just doing a basic mapping to it nothing fancy

Use v: \\scratch\scratch1

Has anyone had the same kinda problem???

Kerry

#6541 - 2001-01-29 01:55 PM Re: Drive mapping
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Kerry:

Might want to place the following after your troublesome map...

Use v: \\scratch\scratch1
?"error: @serror (@error)"

What's the value of @error ?

Shawn.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 29 January 2001).]

#6542 - 2001-01-29 02:34 PM Re: Drive mapping
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you tried use v: "\\scrath1\scratch" ??
#6543 - 2001-02-07 04:30 PM Re: Drive mapping
kjhoskin Offline
Fresh Scripter

ok I've stuck an error trap in and I'm getting

error: The specified network name is no longer avaliable (64)

I'm sure this is to do with the share being on a Snap server. The rest of the domain is Win2000, the snap server sort of pretends to be an NT4 member server.

I might try and map the share in a couple of places in the script and see what happens

Kerry

#6544 - 2001-02-09 05:45 PM Re: Drive mapping
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kerry,

We are using Quantum Snap Servers in our lab to mimic the structure of our production environment. As such, I’ve run into the same problem as you have – sometimes the drives just don’t map. To fix it, I created a loop. If the drive fails to map, it informs you of this with a message box.

Of course, you can always delete the message box if your users don’t like it, and you can increase the number of repetitions if you are still having problems. I’ve found, however, that it usually only takes a few tries to get it mapped, and I never see the message box unless the Snap Server is off-line.

Here’s the code for my loop:

$count = 0

;Map X Drive
do
$mapped = "0"
$count = $count + 1
If $count = "10"
$Window = MessageBox("X Drive Server not available or drive is already mapped.", "ERROR.", 0)
$count = 0
$mapped = "1"
Else
use X: \\snaplab\xdrive
If @error = 0
$mapped = "1"
EndIf
EndIf
until $mapped = "1"

Hope that helps,

Ryan

#6545 - 2001-02-09 06:53 PM Re: Drive mapping
kjhoskin Offline
Fresh Scripter

hiya,

Cheers for the reply I'm glad someone else is having the same problem! I've emailed Quantum tech support so I'll wait and see what the say. In the meantime I've been writing a loop in to my script this afternoon and it works fine.

Cheers

Kerry

#6546 - 2001-02-09 07:13 PM Re: Drive mapping
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Houston TX
Just a quick test and I was able to make a connection to my snap server during logon with only 1 try.

my snapserver version is
Quantum Snap! Server v2.4.437

This is a new device for us, we just got 1 month ago. it is configured as a Domain member server.

Not sure if any of this helps.....

Bryce

#6547 - 2001-02-10 12:50 AM Re: Drive mapping
kjhoskin Offline
Fresh Scripter

We have the same version snap Bios on our box. The problem only occurs about 20% of the time, but with only a coupe of hundred users this can actually mean a lot of failed maps. Creating a loop to map the snap server does seem to solve the problem its just a pain!

cheers

Kerry

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0.025 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org