Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#45582 - 2003-10-07 06:20 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
operez Offline
Getting the hang of it

Maybe this is one of those mysteries that can’t and shouldn’t be explained.

The fist statement showed 12 files copied to the Desktop.
The second showed 12 files copied to the Programs folder.
The third showed 5 filed copied to the Accessories folder.
And the fourth showed 0 files copied to the Startup folder.

Well, I think I’ve wasted enough of everybody time. Although, it might be a timing issue as someone suggested. I added a SLEEP 500, mapped a drive to the server running the script and looked at the Programs folder for the user I logged in as. I saw that the icons did get copied and they were showing up in the Programs folder and then they disappeared. The script was still in SLEEP, so I know that I am not deleting them somewhere farther down the script, so it must be the system logon process. Although, what kills me is that this same script works on another set of Citrix servers. Both are NT 4.0 SP6 Terminal Server with Citrix MetaFrame SP3.

#45583 - 2003-10-07 07:05 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Tigard, OR
quote:

Although, what kills me is that this same script works on another set of Citrix servers. Both are NT 4.0 SP6 Terminal Server with Citrix MetaFrame SP3.

How many boxes are on your new Citrix Farm?

From what we have talked about, you indicate that this works fine on another Farm.

Let's take for example, it does not work for you on this new farm. It does work on the "old" farm. OK.. So, login to the console and verify the perms using XCACLS from -

M:\WTSRV\PROFILES under NT 4/MetaFrame 1.8
M:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS under 2K/MetaFrame XP

Once you run this, you can compare the two and remedy any discrepencies.

If memory serves, you users need rights at the "parent" to the profile directory.

HTH,

Kent

[ 07. October 2003, 19:08: Message edited by: kdyer ]

#45584 - 2003-10-07 07:28 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
operez Offline
Getting the hang of it

We only have one farm with 80 Citrix servers, but different pools. 70 servers are from the same image and 10 are from another image. The 10 that are from a different image are the ones experiencing this problem. As I explained earlier in this thread, the first 70 servers were upgraded to NT 4.0 SP6 MetaFrame 1.8 SP3 from NT 3.51 WinFrame 1.8 SP2. The 10 servers from with the different image were setup from scratch as NT 4.0 SP6 MetaFrame 1.8 SP3 servers. My first thoughts were that the permissions to files or folders were different, so I matched every file and folder on the first set of servers to match the second set. I even though that permissions to the registry might be the problem so I have matched up the permissions in the registry.

Don’t know what else to check. Should we just give this one up?

#45585 - 2003-10-07 07:39 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

No..

Registry Perms maybe part of the issue..

I would check parent to %USERPROFILE% directory perms.

Kent

#45586 - 2003-10-07 09:48 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
operez Offline
Getting the hang of it

Permissions to the Profile folder on both images are:

Domain Admin Full
Everyone Read
SYSTEM Full
Local\Administrator Full

Permissions to my Profile folder on both servers are:

My Logon ID Full
Local\Administrator Full
SYSTEM Full

#45587 - 2003-10-07 10:13 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

operez,

Think this is the strangest oddball problem I have ever seen, btw where abouts are you (generally) North America ? Europe ? ...

Are you struggling with this problem alone, has anybody there (at your work) given an opinion or at least offered to be a second pair eyes ? Have you engaged any of the vendors ? How about other specialty sites ?

-Shawn

#45588 - 2003-10-07 10:15 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

We have the Profiles Folder (Citrix MetaFrame 1.8 - NT4) to Everyone "full". We have cleanup routine to remove @USERID, @USERID.000, @USERID.001, and @USERID.nnn and the client can re-create their profile on the fly.

Kent

#45589 - 2003-10-07 11:05 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear,

We agree with Shawn that it is one of those strange problem.
All many years we are copying/deleting/replacing icons on the clients without the
need that users should wait before all scripts has been finished. This happens in
our situation without any problem, because during the first initial phase all kind
of unwanted shortcuts were removed and now the shortcuts list contains only the
acceptable shortcuts in our environment.
Shanw's link confirm above experience.

The Citrix part isn't an element in our environment and we were missing the Citrix note.
So, we handle your problem as a more common problem. Citrix environments require some
special action.
When a scripts works correctly it is mostly something with authorizations and
permissions.
greetings.

[ 07. October 2003, 23:05: Message edited by: MCA ]
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#45590 - 2003-10-08 02:24 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

As you may have noticed, we have tried to stick with you on resolution for this. The main reason being, is that this may come up again and the resolution may prove helpful for that person.

Kent

#45591 - 2003-10-08 02:59 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
operez Offline
Getting the hang of it

Shawn, I’m from here in the good ol’ USA, Texas that is. San Antonio, to be exact. Hometown of the San Antonio Spurs, 2003 NBA Champions.

And I did consult with the original creator of our logon script and we went round and round for about three days before I decided to post to this web site. And, prior to talking to him I had already tried several things, so when he would ask “Have you tried this”, I would answer “Yes” and when he would ask “Have you checked that”, I would answer “Yes”. We checked permissions on files, folders and registry and couldn’t come up with anything.

I then decided to post to this web site, in the hopes that I could incorporate the knowledge and experience from several other people. I did not consult Citrix, since support was costing us $60K a year and we only called them 4-5 times a year and we received better responses to questions from Thin Planet and the like. Since this seemed to be a Kixtart issue I only posted to this web site, maybe I should post to Thin Planet. Are there other Kixtart BBSs?

Kent, thanks for sticking with this issue.

#45592 - 2003-10-08 05:47 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
To be honest, I don't think it's actually a KiXtart issue. As in: KiXtart or the script is not to blame for the icons not getting copied.

And this is the premier KiXtart BBS, a.k.a The Mothership. [Big Grin]

#45593 - 2003-10-08 07:01 PM Re: Icons don't get copied
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

I am in agreement with Jens on this one.

Maybe go back and look at the following:

"Back to basics"
(1) Does this work under your login (assuming you are a Domain Admin)? Anybody working?
(2) Rights - Does the parent folder need to be granted rights for the new users logging in?
(3) Rights - Do the rights pick up from the "parent" or have they been disconnected?
(4) KiXtart - If this works on another Citrix Server/Farm, this point of the topic is moot.

Anything else? Maybe an IP/subnet/DNS/etc. issue?

Hope I am not beating too much of a dead horse here. [Wink]

Kent

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.063 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org