Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#42769 - 2003-07-11 03:38 PM Need help to streamline my script
LVF Offline
Fresh Scripter

I need to determine the CDROM drive and this is what i've got sofar. The problem is that if the hosts file is copy/backuped the script wants to copy it from every drive. Any suggestions are welcome.

variables:
$host2k = "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc"

Script

$Array=d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z
For Each $element In $Array
Shell 'cmd /c copy "$host2k\hosts" "$host2k\hosts.org"' ; backup original hosts file
Shell 'cmd /c copy "$element:\hosts" "$host2k\hosts"' ; implement new hosts file
Next
GoTo end

#42770 - 2003-07-11 03:42 PM Re: Need help to streamline my script
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Would you mind providing us the 'big picture'? I don't see anything that relates to a CD-ROM drive.

Additionally, please take a look at the UDF Forum as a UDF for determining drives types, like CD-ROM drives, has laready been posted.

Also, please use the build-in COPY command instead of SHELLing out.

Finally, why do you copy the files to all driveletters?

And please do not use variables inside strings and refrain from using GOTOs.

#42771 - 2003-07-11 03:51 PM Re: Need help to streamline my script
LVF Offline
Fresh Scripter

You're absolutly wright! I try to make a script which installs IE6 for the home computer of my users and it's must copy a new hosts file for access to the company network. The problem is that not everyone had the D-drive as his CD-ROM drive. j.meijer@lvf.nl
#42772 - 2003-07-11 03:55 PM Re: Need help to streamline my script
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Well, if you are running the script from the CD drive, @ScriptDir would tell you what it is.

#42773 - 2003-07-11 03:58 PM Re: Need help to streamline my script
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Okay, so let me rephrase wht you try to do.

You provide users with a CD-ROM containing an IE6 install (hopefully prepared with IEAK for completely silent install!). After the IE6 install, you also want to copy over the HOSTS file from the same CD-ROM.

Q: Where is the script being run from?

My solution: KiXtart and the script are included in that CD-ROM. User clicks on an INSTALLME.BAT file which in turn starts the KiXtart script. Thus, the @SCRIPTDIR macro includes the dirveletter of the CD-rOM dirve as it is being started from there. Then LEFT(@SCRIPTDIR,1) will give you the drive letter.

Alternatively, see the following UDFs: WshEnumDrives() - Enumerate drives on your local machine and DriveEnum() - return a list of specific, connected drive types

Finally, there might be a way to include the HOSTS file update into the IE install though the IEAK. I highly recommend to use IEAK for the deployment, giving users choices is a risk!

#42774 - 2003-07-11 04:14 PM Re: Need help to streamline my script
LVF Offline
Fresh Scripter

Indeed @SCRIPTDIR is what i need.
It's an autorun cd which calls a kix script.
The user see a menu to choose his OS and the script will backup/copies the hosts file, next it wil determine which version of IE is used. If it's below version 6 or 128-bits encryption, it's installing IE6 or a patch to 128-bits encryption (W95).

Thanks a lot also for mention IEAK.

Greetz

#42775 - 2003-07-11 04:17 PM Re: Need help to streamline my script
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Automate OS detection with @PRODUCTTYPE or use the OSID() UDF.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 557 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org