Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#33235 - 2002-11-22 05:03 PM curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
nephilim Offline
Fresh Scripter

the hypothetical scenario:

machine x and machine y have the same directory structure (for argument's sake; the directory contains 20 subdirs, which may or may not contain sub-subdirs, etc).

machine y is used as an everyday machine, making changes frequently to the materials contained within the dir structure. machine x is treated as a repository- a safe file server of sorts to keep copies of the materials within the dir.

how would you recommended constructing an automated sync at logon using kix (and other small utilites if necessary) so that every dir and subdir were examined at logon- and only the latest (newest, most recent that is) files were transfered from machine y to machine x?

(MCA: extend subject)

[ 08. December 2002, 23:46: Message edited by: MCA ]

#33236 - 2002-11-22 05:04 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Type
code:
xcopy /?

at the command prompt and take a look at the /D parameter.

[ 22. November 2002, 17:05: Message edited by: sealeopard ]

#33237 - 2002-11-22 05:06 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Look at the RK util, ROBOCOPY.

#33238 - 2002-11-22 05:08 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
The simplest solution would be to use "XCOPY /D /E", but that is could fail is the client date/time were to be set backward somehow.

#33239 - 2002-11-22 06:34 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

Loc: Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
I would probably use Robocopy for NT/2000/XP & XXCOPY for Win9x but there have been several pure kix solutions posted & discussed in the past. Try checking out the UDF forum (or better still use Howard's link above). It may contain components of the solution you need.

[ 22. November 2002, 18:36: Message edited by: Jack Lothian ]

#33240 - 2002-11-22 06:49 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Les Offline
KiX Master

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't XCOPY only work in one direction? If a file is deleted, the deletion won't be replicated, meaning the replica will still have the file.

ROBOCOPY will delete the replica as well.

#33241 - 2002-11-22 06:58 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
Yes Les you are correct. XCOPY does not remove files from the destination like Robocopy's /Mirror switch.

But quick and dirty XCOPY...gives you the added benefit of backup when the user accidentally deletes something and does not know it for two days.

Personally if I want to sync, I probably would configure the OS to do that since it is now a feature.

#33242 - 2002-11-22 07:38 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
nephilim Offline
Fresh Scripter

great thoughts everyone. thanks.

as everyone has collectively stated, i've seen 3 possible solutions:

xcopy
robocpy
OS native

personally, i am partial to the first two...for my taste, they are less cumbersome and feel more flexible. However, I will check out Howard and Jack's suggestion to peruse the UDF as well. Nice to see that everyone has different ways of doing the same things- great to collect all the options first than figure out what works best for the given scenario.

thanks again everyone. and other comments/thoughts are welcome. i'll post my end solution soon.

#33243 - 2002-12-08 11:44 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear kdyer, lligetfa,

Possible it can be very interesting to create a FAQ item, which handles about
- copying files and directories
- copying it with or without rights
- copying only files which already exist
- copying only the files of last seven days

We are thinking about the different commands like
- XCOPY
- XXCOPY
- ROBOCOPY
greetings.
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#33244 - 2002-12-08 11:58 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Les Offline
KiX Master

MCA,
You are more than welcome to compose such a FAQ.

#33245 - 2002-12-08 11:59 PM Re: curious (how automated sync between two machine at logon?)
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
[Wink]

download KiXnet

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 557 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org