Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#22175 - 2002-05-27 01:31 PM crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Amsterdam
Advice needed:
We work with windows2000 servers on a small domain. When a user logs on, the kix32.exe starts which starts the kixtart.kix script. Normally……
Since a few days it doesn’t work anymore.
You can see that the kix32.exe starts but there is no connection to the kixtart.kix script with all off our necessary mappings.
If I make a mapping to the Netlogon directory and start the kix32.exe, it does start the kixtart.kix script. It does this on both our domain-controllers
How can I make it work for my users again???

(MCA: complete description)

[ 18 June 2002, 12:48: Message edited by: MCA ]

#22176 - 2002-05-27 01:54 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear,

Welcome to the board.

First some questions:
- which kixtart version running?
- what kind of clients you are using?
- where are the kixtart files (kix32.exe, kx16.dll, kx32.dll, kx95.dll) installed on your clients?
- where are the kixtart scripts located?
- how are you calling your scripts? by BATch file? YES, please put BATch file on board.

Suggestions:
  • we suppose you are using simple KIX32.EXE as call without any script specification.
    f.e. kix32.exe & kixtart.kix located in "\\serername\netlogon" directory
    - call from logon BATch file or DOS box
    \\servername\netlogon\kix32.exe \\servername\netlogon\kixtart.kix- call from logon BATch file
    %0\..\kix32.exe %0\..\kixtart.kix
  • KIX32.exe installed on clients in "windows" directory & script in "\\servername\netlogon\" directory
    f.e. kix32.exe located in "c:\winnt" or "c:\windows" directory
    - call from logon BATch file or DOS box
    kix32.exe \\servername\netlogon\kixtart.kix
    - call from logon BATch file
    kix32.exe %0\..\kixtart.kix
Also put as first statement f.e. a MessageBox statement to see kixtart is really starting.
Possible call

MessageBox("KiXtart @kix script starting","KiXtart information")

greetings.
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#22177 - 2002-05-27 03:20 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

Loc: Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
Did you change your server configuration recently? This might be a replication problem. Replicate your scripts & kixtart DLLs to all PDC & BDC.

#22178 - 2002-05-27 03:21 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Nenya:

Please see the following posts for universal LOGIN.BAT scritps:

Kixtart Deployment
Kixtart Starter's Guide
LOGON.BAT (the overkill version)

#22179 - 2002-06-05 02:24 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

My configuration has been changed. So I think there is cause off my problem But I can't find anything they might have changed. so I'm still looking.
We run kix 3.63 on a win2000 domain. the users with an Win98 or Win95 PC have the problems.

Our login procedure is very simple. We use kix32 ase a login script (set by the profile tab in the sctive directory) and that triggers the kixtart script:
;* Definition of variables... *
;******************************

$OLPath = "H:\Mail"

;************************************
;* Specific Windows 9.x settings... *
;************************************

IF @INWIN = 2
USE H: /DEL
USE H: @HOMESHR
Run \\Athene\Norman\NVC\BIN\NVC5W32.Exe
ENDIF

;****************************
;* MAPI Profile creation... *
;****************************

IF EXIST ("$OLPath\outlook.prf") = 1 AND @RAS = 0
MD "$OLPath"
COPY "@LSERVER\NETLOGON\outlook.prf" "$OLPath\"
WRITEPROFILESTRING ("$OLPath\outlook.prf","General","ProfileName","@userid")
WRITEPROFILESTRING ("$OLPath\outlook.prf","SERVICE1","DefaultArchiveFile","$OLPath\archief.pst")
WRITEPROFILESTRING ("$OLPath\outlook.prf","SERVICE2","MailboxName","@userid")
WRITEPROFILESTRING ("$OLPath\outlook.prf","SERVICE4","PathToPersonalAddressBook","$OLPath\@userid.pab")
WRITEPROFILESTRING ("$OLPath\outlook.prf","SERVICE5","PathToPersonalFolders","$OLPath\@userid.pst")
RUN newprof.exe + " -p $OLPath\outlook.prf"
ENDIF

;***********************
;* Network mappings... *
;***********************

USE G: /DEL
USE M: /DEL
USE N: /DEL
USE O: /DEL
USE S: /DEL
USE G: "\\ISIS\GroupDirs"
USE M: "\\EOS\Adlib"
USE N: "\\ISIS\APPS"
USE O: "\\ISIS\GROUPDATA"
USE S: "\\ISIS\EXACT"

;*************************
;Synchronize the time... *
;*************************
SETTIME @LSERVER

The dosbox opens and closes again. The usual zeroos do not appear.
If I start the script trough the run command, it works.

I found a similar problem in the archive but there the script hangs... (kix 95 call febr 2001)

Does anyone know how to set my netlogon rights right again?

#22180 - 2002-06-05 03:17 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Forget your script for a moment and go back to square one.

Create a really simple login script (pure batch file) containing the following lines:
code:
ECHO The batch file is running
PAUSE

Use this as the login script. You should now see the login script window during login and the message on the screen. You might need to implement W2k - Keep the Window visible on login? to see the window. Now, if this works, create a KiXtart file containing the following lines:
code:
? 'This is the KiXtart login script'
? 'Press any key to continue (NO, not the ANY key)'
get $a

Also, use a login.bat file like the ones posted here:
Kixtart Starter's Guide
So, do you see the KiXtart login script running?

If you got this far, try your custom KiXtart scritp again and pepper the whole script with
code:
? 'Error status : '+@ERROR+' - '@SERROR

lines to see where exactly your script is failing.

Aftere you done allthese steps, you can report back on this board and we might be able to help you.

Finally, make sure that you have the KXRPC service running on ALL domain controllers.

[ 05 June 2002, 15:18: Message edited by: sealeopard ]

#22181 - 2002-06-07 11:12 AM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

The login.bat works, So far So good.
But then…. I must say that I’m a complete Kixtart nono. This is what I do: I made a login,bat that has the following command:
%\..\kix32 %\..\logon.kix
and my logon.kix is a copy of your code.
When I logon the the system I get an error.
“C:\windows> \..\logon.kix
Bad command or file name”
Did I do something wrong or is it something else.
I can’t find any KXRPC or KIXRPC service running. Can this be the problem?

Thanks for your patience.
Nenya

#22182 - 2002-06-07 03:00 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Dear,

You call should be something like

%0\..\kix32 %0\..\logon.kix

Also possible

\\servername\netlogon\kix32 \\servername\netlogon\logon.kix

greetings.
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#22183 - 2002-06-07 03:30 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

The KXRPC service not running will not prevent you from starting a KiXtart script but you will not be able to use certain Kixtart functions. Therefore, it is recommended to run the KXRPC service on all domain controllers.

Also, make sure the following files are in the NETLOGON folder of all domain controllers (maybe even enable directory replication):
KIX32.EXE
KX16.DLL
KX32.DLL
KX95.DLL
LOGON.BAT
LOGON.KIX

Then try again.

#22184 - 2002-06-10 11:20 AM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

Found the problem.
I got the script working on my Win2000 pc’s but not on the 98 clients.
I am missing the KX95.DLL I think/know now that is the course but how can I get that part back on my servers?

Nenya

#22185 - 2002-06-10 01:07 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

I was to quick with my reply. I just looked on a backup tape of a while ago when the script was still working and I didn’t have the KX95.DLL then either. So it must be something else.
The script works when I type \\server\netlogon\kix32.exe \\server\netlogon\login.kix in a Run command (win 2000 and Win98).
But when I run the script (with or without using a batch file) it doesn't work on the 98 machines.
Are there any ideas left?
Nenya

#22186 - 2002-06-10 04:46 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Bxn Offline
Getting the hang of it

Loc: Alpha Centauri
According to the error you report to be returned when loggin in :
“C:\windows> \..\logon.kix Bad command or file name”
it seems like the OS did not found and interpret the beginning of the line presumably contained in your launching .Bat :
" %\..\kix32 %\..\logon.kix"
Is this part really in your .Bat ?

#22187 - 2002-06-14 12:59 AM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

I found the course of my problem. It must be something to do with rights on the netlogon directory.
The script stopped working the day after patches where loaded by an external system handler. He says that my problem has nothing to do with his actions so he can’t help me.

If I logon with all my rights, there is nothing wrong BUT when a normal user logs on, the script doesn’t work. (a dosbox opens but the script doesn’t load)
I made a test user with all off my admin and user rights and this user can use the script. After taking away various admin rights, the script can’t be used anymore.
Does anyone know which user-rights the sysvol and/or the script directory needs, to be accessible for all users.
Nenya

#22188 - 2002-06-13 01:39 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
replicator needs full access of course.

and finally, normally in the netlogon share is full control over files to everyone.

this is offcourse not secure as users may change scripts but if replication is working they will be fixed immediately.

cheers,

download KiXnet

#22189 - 2002-06-13 03:39 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

NETLOGON share is READ-ONLY by default and should definitely be kept this way, both on the file permissions and the share permissions.

The Directory Replicator accound requires full access and Domain Administrators should have full access at least to the export directory on the Primary Domain Controller. They do not require full access to NETLOGON since script updates are performed through the export directory.

#22190 - 2002-06-13 03:45 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
hey...
thanks jens.
stupid me. again.

the rights on the files are the same as in the source directory.
but the share is read-only and that disables the changing from even domain admins.

my mistake, jens'es glory [Roll Eyes]

download KiXnet

#22191 - 2002-06-13 03:52 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

No, I'm just a split personality, one part being 'Extremely Paranoid Systems Administrator'.

#22192 - 2002-06-13 04:09 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
one of my win2k instructors made a HUGE effort in describing the 'recommended' method of shares/permissions, which was:

for sake of convenience All SHARES should have "authenticated users" will full permissions, and then use NTFS permissions on the files/folder to secure. The ntfs perms will supersceed the shares, since most restrictive perms will apply. Then you only need to maintain one set of perms and will not have 'conficts' with your logic.

Use that as a basic rule (don't foget to set perms on the shared folder, not just the contents of the folder)

#22193 - 2002-06-19 12:45 AM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Dear,

As additional information for setup your server/client environment:

For an easy upgrade of your clients with f.e. kixtart 4.02 you can use
our installation package kix402update.exe. Always the correct
files will be installed on your clients.

The kix32 call can reduce to f.e. kix32 \\server\netlogon\your_script.kix

At the moment there are six releases:
  • kix362update.exe
  • kix363update.exe
  • kix400update.exe
  • kix401update.exe
  • kix402update.exe (final release)
  • kix410update.exe (beta)
Each time it will verify the correctness of your release. Incorrect
files will be replaced and missing files will be added. Regardless of
file attributes.
To prevent running more times weare using a control files.
You can easily upgrade it with our iexpress package.
Questions: how?

A way of installing/updating kixtart of your clients: with only one additional statement

For the installation of kixtart at your local workstation we see many version of doing it.
Most statements in your BATch file are using for this duty.
But there is also a way of doing it with a single statement, which doesn't only copy
the required files, but also compare file version information. After completion a logfile
will be created at your local workstation.

Another way of installing/updating kixtart on your clients:

For installing or updating of your clients you can download our packages kix363update.exe,
kix400update.exe or kix401update.exe from our site http:\\home.wanadoo.nl\scripting.

Possible calls in your logon procedure can be:

As first line of your logon procedure you can use one of following formats:
  • x:\kixtart\kix402update.exe /q
  • %0\..\kix402update.exe /q
  • if not exist c:\kix402.ok %0\..\kix402update.exe /q
  • \\server\NETLOGON\kix402update.exe /q
Second line can be something like:
  • kix32 %0\..\your_script.kix
  • kix32 \\server\netlogon\your_script.kix
Results of your BATCH can be:
for network environments (= update package will transfer during each logging on)
code:
@echo off
%0\..\kix402update.exe /q
kix32 %0\..\your_script.kix
@echo off

or for dial-up environments (= update package will transfer only once)
code:
@echo off
if not exist c:\kix402.ok %0\..\kix402update.exe /q
@echo off

or
code:
@echo off
if not exist $windir%\kix402.ok %0\..\kix402update.exe /q
@echo off

After using above programs there will be created a control
file c:\kix363.ok, c:\kix400.ok, c:\kix401.ok, c:\kix401.ok or
c:\kix402.ok. So it isn't necessary to run the installation
process again, but we advise to update (or better: verify)
kixtart files always.
Also those control files will put in the %windir% directory.

Reason: a security leak for running kixtart from clients.

remarks: SECURITY LEAK for running kixtart from clients

running kix32.exe from a local workstation can have also unwanted effects. An user
can modify or replace your kix32.exe file. f.e. not to run your script but for
reading your script.
For RAS users it is interesting not to download each time the kixtart required files,
but for other users we advise:
always check the kixtart files and update them when necessary before running your KIX scripts.

FIX for SECURITY LEAK:

In our case the first statement of our default logon procedure for network users is always:
%0\..\kix363update.exe /q
and it will guarantee that kix32.exe file will always the correct one.

remarks: performance

• only 150 KBytes will be transfered to your workstation. the package has been compressed.
  • always the correct set of kixtart files will be used. during the execution of scripts
    the user can already starts working.
  • during installation or updating kixtart you will not get share violation error or busy file
    error. the install.kix scripts runs with his own kixtart version.
  • for RAS users we create additional authorizations which will run minimum set of script code.
    for them the logon procedure containts as statement:
    if not exist c:\kix363.ok %0\..\kix363update.exe /q
greetings.

btw: related kixtart topic http://kixtart.org/board/Forum2/HTML/000583.html

btw: be sure no other kix32.exe and DLLs are active on your clients.

#22194 - 2002-06-24 01:28 PM Re: crashing script?? (kix32 starts, but kixtart.kix script will not starting on W2K env)
Nenya Offline
Fresh Scripter

Thanks for all the help!!!
[Smile] It is working again.. [Smile]
Just before the script stopped working, there where some patches loaded. These caused my kix-files to be hidden (the became protected operating system files and where therefore not visible.)
That is why my users couldn’t “see” the script.
After setting the files to normal files again, the script could be approached and used again.
Thanks again
Nenya

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.073 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org