Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#213679 - 2019-05-15 09:32 PM printers not showing on first login
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: London, England
Running Windows 10. Logon script mostly runs perfectly on first login and I can see that all the settings are being applied even @domain coding, but half the time the printers are not installed on first login, so user has to logout and log back in again.

Is there anything to either shorten the Windows 10 Setting up Profile time (as its way longer than Windows 7) or how can I tell the script to wait for whatever to load before installing the printers as I presume that something is not loaded in time on the first loging.

I have made the printers the very last item to run and am using the addprinterconnection command.

I will also see if I can't investigate shortening the Windows Profile Creation time as its significantly longer than Windows 7 Creation time.

#213680 - 2019-05-16 01:25 AM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Robdutoit]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Are you logging the results or displaying the error codes to the screen to see what is happening? And/Or do you see the logon script cmd box appear during this profile creation that you mention?

Are you running a Startup Script or Logon Script?

When the printers fail to install, do the mapped drives fail as well?

I can't say I have seen this though. I do have Wait for Network policy, Run logon scripts synchronously policy and use a traditional Logon Script for Mapping Drives and adding Printers.

#213681 - 2019-05-16 01:40 AM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Allen]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Just happened to do a search and found another thread you started very similar to this one.

http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=206481#Post206481

If you haven't made these GPO changes yet, I think it's pretty solid bet, the answer is now in both threads.

#213682 - 2019-05-16 07:06 PM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Allen]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Hi Allen,

I have Computer GPO defined that enables "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" and the issue is not the @domain issue because I am using the @domain setting to apply other settings because we are now using DFS. Everything else in the script is working perfectly except for the printers on first login. The script is definitely running. This is the logon script I am talking about not the startup script. Printers are assigned by logon script, not startup script although perhaps I should review that policy.

We are not using mapped drives anymore. Just windows libraries redirected to DFS Links. These are being setup on first login no problem.

How do you log the results? That would help to identify what the cause is. I can't use the screen because if I run the script manually it will work as the windows profile will have by that time loaded.

I have not seen the problem before myself. Printers have always installed on first login. If I can log the results that would help identify the cause.

#213683 - 2019-05-17 03:25 AM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Robdutoit]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Rob,

My Universal Login Script is still available, and can be downloaded from http://www.mspbuilder.com. Still free for 1-2 domain controllers. Logging is, well, intense - that might shed some light on the problem.

Glenn

#213684 - 2019-05-18 01:25 PM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I think that what I will do first is compare my Windows 7 script with my windows 10 script and see what is different. The W10 script was based on W7 script, I just edited out W7 specific things and added W10 and 64 bit specific things. However, I may have remmed out something that was in W7 because I never had this issue with printers not installing before.

Having said that, I think the issue is because the W7 new login is much faster than the W10 login and I don't think the W10 system is completely loaded by the time the script gets to the printer install section. I think that something needs to be loaded in the profile before you can install the printers.

Perhaps all I need to do is remove the active setup in W10 as this improved the W7 login speed, but I thought that this was not relevant for W10. But other articles indicate that it is still relevant. That could shave off ten seconds for a new login.

#213685 - 2019-05-18 01:31 PM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Robdutoit]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Wait - You have O/S specific login scripts???

#213686 - 2019-05-18 04:13 PM Re: printers not showing on first login [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

In a general way no. It's more that the W7 script was written from the ground up in 2012 and obviously edited over the years. So it was over 5 years old and I wanted to get rid of some legacy coding from the original script. I was also moving away from drives mapped to a server and using Windows Libraries mapped to DFS.

I upgraded a client from Windows Server 2008 32 bit and Windows 7 32 bit to Windows Server 2016 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit. I took the W7 script that I had designed in 2012 and updated over the years and applied it to the new system.

However, I had to make a lot of changes for 64 bit clients and because W10 also prevented quite a lot of registry entries. In addition, I removed W7 specific settings that were not relevant in W10. Also the new netowrk design is very different from the ones that I setup in 2012.

I am upgrading all my other clients to Server 2019 and W10 this year. So they are running on the old script. I saw no value in changing their scripts to run the new OS as they don't have W10 yet and I don't want the new script to have legacy W7 or 32 bit coding as well as legacy network configs.

So in a general way I don't have OS specific scripts. But the new system is very different - GDPR Compliant, 64 bit, DFS, Windows Libraries Drives and many other changes like that. So a lot of legacy coding was removed.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 47 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Romanc, Neurosine, Mads_H, Michael78, PaulBesafeglobal
17664 Registered Users

Generated in 0.035 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org