Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#210739 - 2015-09-12 03:40 AM Re: Drives not showing on some computers [Re: MNTechy]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
On a computer that isn't working start cmd.exe as administrator. And do net use. Do the same drives show up if you then just run cmd.exe and issue net use?

This sounds so like token issue and that is the easiest way I can think of to check.

download KiXnet

#210743 - 2015-09-16 02:53 PM Re: Drives not showing on some computers [Re: MNTechy]
MNTechy Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Minnesota
Ok, I sat with a consultant yesterday and we had two machines, one that my script was working on, and one that it wasn't. I don't remember how exactly we got to it, but we were talking and googling about user context, and I decided to try an elevated command prompt on the computer that wasn't working. In the elevated prompt, I could see my drives, but in the non-elevated one I couldn't. On the machine that worked, my command prompt was always elevated? Hmmmm, so we double check UAC, the slider is off on both machines.

So we find the article about EnableLinkedConnections and figure that should solve the problem. So we dig into the registry on the non-working computer and put in the DWord EnableLinkedConnections. Sure enough it works. However, the consultant noticed that the setting EnableLUA was set to 1 on the computer that wasn't working! He said that's the setting for UAC! So we removed EnableLinkedConnections, set EnableLUA to 0 and rebooted. Now the computer works fine.

It looks like the UAC slider doesn't change this setting back to 0 once its on.

So, I've added a line to my script to set EnableLUA to 0 and everything is back to "normal" again!

It's been a fun three weeks! Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Mike

#210744 - 2015-09-16 04:42 PM Re: Drives not showing on some computers [Re: MNTechy]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
The EnableLUA is one of the most idiotic settings ever. As you have found, the slider can be all the way to the bottom, but the UAC still works. With this RegSetting it is "REALLY REALLY" off.

If you are disabling LinkedConnections you are at the very least getting yourself back to being in an environment that MS approves of. And, with Windows 10, having that EnableLUA on, apps like Edge will not work, so again it looks like you are going in the right direction.

#210748 - 2015-09-17 12:54 AM Re: Drives not showing on some computers [Re: Allen]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
So it was token issue. Yeah!!

download KiXnet

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 515 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org