Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#205925 - 2012-10-08 03:58 AM Pull a registry value into an environment variable
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Houston, TX
I'm trying to read a registry value, and place it into an environment variable. (I have had absolutely zero luck even reading the value).

Once I get that, I'd like to try and find a way to fire a wm_changenotify message (probably through .net?). I'm a decent vbscripter, and a pretty good winbatch scripter.. I'm picking kix32 back up now..

Any help would be appreciate it..

#205926 - 2012-10-08 06:04 AM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: David_Figueroa]
ShaneEP Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Which registry key? You would want to use the ReadValue() function to read the value, you can then use one of the Set commands to set the environment variable.
#205927 - 2012-10-08 06:09 AM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: ShaneEP]
MM club member

Here is a short example...
 Code:
$value = ReadValue("HKCU\Volatile Environment","HOMEDRIVE")

Set "NewEnvVarName = "+$value

#205934 - 2012-10-08 02:19 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: ShaneEP]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Just be aware that you can't pass an environment var back to the program that called the Kix script..

You can set a variable in:
  • the LOCAL environment that will be visible to any child process started by SHELL or RUN (SETL Command);
  • the SYSTEM environment that will be visible to any new process started by any user (SETM Comand);
  • the USER environment that will be visible to any new process started by the current user. (SET command). This will send a notify command to the environment and be updated by applications that support it.
If you want to pass a value back, you'll need to output the value or write it to a file that can be read by the parent process. The variable you set will not be visible to the currently running Kix script either.

Glenn

#205936 - 2012-10-08 03:42 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: Glenn Barnas]
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

I'm trying to pull the CLIENTNAME information out of HKLM\Software\Citrix\ICA\Session.
So, my commands I'm trying to use are:

DIM $ClientName
$CLIENTNAME = READVALUE("HKLM\Software\Citrix\ICA\Session", "ClientName")

As a test, I tried to just write it to another part of the registry...

WriteValue("HKCU\Software\Test", "KixTest", $CLIENTNAME, "REG_SZ")

The value gets created properly, but the actual data in the value isn't written. If I manually set $CLIENTNAME before the WriteValue, then it works properly.

The flip side of this, is I wanted to get a "permanent" environment variable set with this data for subsequent processes. I know it will not be visible in the current environment, so my hope was to find a way to write it to the registry (to create a system level environment variable - {easy}) a fire off a wm_changenotify system message in order to force windows to revaluate the environment {hard}.

My preference is to stick with Kix, because this is going to be a pre-flight execution script for Desktop Authority.

#205937 - 2012-10-08 04:18 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: David_Figueroa]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Have you verified that $ClientName contains data after the registry read? (Display to screen)
Display the @SERROR value after the WriteValue - what do you get?

The SetM() command will create a machine (System) for all users.

Glenn

#205938 - 2012-10-08 04:32 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Are you sure that reg value exists? It does not on the version of Citrix I use. Also, teh enviro var %CLIENTNAME% is set by the client on my system.

#205941 - 2012-10-08 05:42 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: Les]
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

This is for XenDesktop. By default, it does not set ClientName.. you have to use the SessionStateMonitor for that, and I need that information *before* SSM runs.

I *know* the key/value contains data - I have triple checked it with regedt32.exe. I'm not really sure how to display it to the screen.. I have tried calling it directly, using MessageBox (the box comes up with my text, but not the variable information for $CLIENTNAME). I've tried using the debug mode..

I'm hoping that setm will work as I hope.. but until I get some good data to put into it I can't be sure that I'm doing any of this correctly.

(again, thanks for the help.. :-)

#205942 - 2012-10-08 05:43 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: David_Figueroa]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Here is a function that never fully got tested. If it works for you and or your situation, might you follow up in the other thread.

Clientname() -
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=204608#Post204608

#205945 - 2012-10-08 06:02 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: Allen]
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

I looked at the function, and it won't work for XD. For XA it works (at least in Win2k8 or Win2k8R2) because the sessionID is part of %temp% (i.e. if my session ID is 23, then my temp variable really points to %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\23).

In XD, this is not valid. :-\ The CLIENTNAME is absolutely in the registry for XD (It is for XA also, but it is also predicated on sessionID (hklm\software\citrix\ica\session\\clientname.

I'll login from another machine, and I can post some screenshots.

Again, I really appreciate the help.. I have been racking my brains for 3 days on this.

#205946 - 2012-10-08 06:03 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: Allen]
MM club member

Putting this line should display what you read from the registry.
 Code:
$null = messagebox($CLIENTNAME,"",0)

#205947 - 2012-10-08 06:42 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: ShaneEP]
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

That is what I thought ShaneEP.. I tried it and got nothing, and I tried it again after this morning and got nothing.

Attachments
IcaSessionData.png (276 downloads)
Description:

#205948 - 2012-10-08 06:53 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: David_Figueroa]
KiX Supporter

Just a thought... is this a 64bit OS?

At the top of the script, try...
 Code:
$RC=setoption("WOW64AlternateRegView","On")

#205958 - 2012-10-09 03:52 AM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: Allen]
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

It is a 64bit that I'm developing and testing on. I'll try it and post the results.. if it is it, then I will feel like an idiot :-D

Thanks!

#205959 - 2012-10-09 04:04 AM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: David_Figueroa]
David_Figueroa Offline
Fresh Scripter

That was definitely part of it. I am now getting a registry value when I read.. It never even occurred to me to look for an option to do that. :-)

My issue during testing now is I can't seem to write that value to HKCU (this is just a test.. )

I can't thank everyone enough :-)

#205964 - 2012-10-09 03:07 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: David_Figueroa]
MM club member

I tried it on my 64 bit Win7 laptop. The following reads and writes the registry value once I added Allen's suggestion. Can you check the error code after you try the write?

Code:
$nul = setoption("WOW64AlternateRegView","On")

$CLIENTNAME = READVALUE("HKLM\Software\Citrix\ICA\Session", "ClientName") 

$nul = WriteValue("HKCU\Software\Test", "KixTest", $CLIENTNAME, "REG_SZ")

$nul = MessageBox("Error Number: "+@Error+@CRLF+"Error Text: "+@SError,"status",0)

#205966 - 2012-10-09 04:33 PM Re: Pull a registry value into an environment variable [Re: ShaneEP]
KiX Supporter

David, would you mind trying the clientname() udf again? I added your reg setting to it, and it would be good to know if it at least works for your environment.

http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=205965#Post205965

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org