Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#201950 - 2011-04-27 03:48 PM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: Mart]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
@Ruud - here is a link from someone using legacy os's:
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196568#Post196568

I confirmed it in another post regarding the same problem:
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=197610#Post197610

I agree with You, Mart and Brad though... time to move on from that old stuff. I guess we just need your direction to make it official.

Edited by Allen (2011-04-27 10:26 PM)

#201963 - 2011-04-29 08:19 AM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: Allen]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I would put my vote on .NET integration as being the most important development that I desire. Add the ability to access the .NET framework would really future proof KiXtart as a language. Long live KiXtart!
#201965 - 2011-04-29 06:19 PM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: It_took_my_meds]
sixdoubleo Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: California, US
One thing that isn't being discussed, which I feel is the true issue, is simply the title of this thread. What is the future of Kixtart?

Yes, I know it currently works with Windows 7. Yes, I know it currently works with Server 2008 R2. And yes, I know that the 32-bit version of Kixtart works fine on 64-bit operating systems. Those statements all address the "now". The question is what is the future.

Windows 8 is around the corner, as is the next version of server. Active directory will likely see an upgrade as well. We can't just automatically assume that Kix 4.61 will work with those things. If I were using Kix for my own personal needs, I probably wouldn't care, but as somebody who manages a large enterprise, I need to know that there is a roadmap...a desire to continue development of Kix alongside future changes in Windows, AD, or any other components that might affect it.

Knowing that there is at least an intent to keep Kix current with future versions of operating systems would greatly help ease my own comfort level as well as give me something to tell management, consultants, colleagues when they ask why I've decided to base all of our scripts on a defunct language.

#201970 - 2011-05-01 07:19 AM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: sixdoubleo]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I agree.

I have put many years worth of work in kixtart/kixforms scripts. (it's pretty much what I do all day every work day.) One script in particular is over 15,000 lines (not including comments) and is part of a larger business critical system I developed for our organisation. I am very worried about the future of both KiXtart and KiXforms and that I may have burdened my organisation with something that may not be supportable going forward.

I know, I know, a lot of that is my fault. But in my defence, I didn't initially intend on my little app I wrote for fun becoming what it is now.

I would therefore very much like to hear not only what Ruud's intentions are for KiXtart, but also what Shawn's intentions are for KiXforms. I would love for KiXtart to support accessing the .NET framework as COM seems to be on the way out, and I would also very much like to be able to extend the properties, methods and events supported by KiXforms. I have desperately suggested that maybe KiXforms be made open source but regrettably I didn't get a response.

A response would go a long way to easing my worries.

#202035 - 2011-05-03 05:15 PM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: It_took_my_meds]
Ruud van Velsen Moderator Offline
Developer

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Very valid questions!

First of all, on KiXtart and Windows vNext: it is absolutely my intention to test and if needed, fix, KiXtart such that it can run on future versions of Windows. Note that this does not necessarily mean KiXtart will run on all platforms that may be supported by Windows (eg: ARM), as it remains to be seen what that will involve (and whether or not it makes sense at all).

As for .Net: point taken. Looking at ways to integrate with .Net is top of the list.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

Ruud

#202038 - 2011-05-03 05:38 PM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: Ruud van Velsen]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
BIG Thumbs up!
#202047 - 2011-05-04 12:56 AM Re: Future of KiXtart? [Re: Allen]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Absolutely! Thanks Ruud.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Lonkero, ShaneEP, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.019 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org