Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#199184 - 2010-07-31 07:15 PM Still around...
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Man, it's been a while since I did any serious coding. It sure ain't like riding a bike.

It's also been some time since I've posted here. Life and work getting in the way. Life is good. Work, not so great. Don't recall if I've cried the blues here lately...

Our department of 5 was cut to 3, then to 2 before my boss up and quit on me, leaving me all alone. A coworker from when we were 5 before she moved to another dept, volunteered to help me out.

Anyway... how do you guys feel about a drive-by poster that only comes to shop for a script? I hope well, cuz I'm off to the basic forum to do just that.

Cheers

#199186 - 2010-07-31 09:18 PM Re: Still around... [Re: Les]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
What's up Les... good to hear from you again.

Your staff sounds like here... first there were many regulars... now there only a few.

Drive-by's are a-o-k with me... but thanks for the warning. \:\)

#199196 - 2010-08-01 06:35 PM Re: Still around... [Re: Allen]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Originally Posted By: Allen
...now there only a few.
Sadly, this is the new reality. A wise career advisor once told me "choose something you enjoy and you'll never have to work a day in your life". Well... I've been enjoying this for years but lately, it feels more like work. I'm too old to change careers and too young to retire. Them Enron bastages stole my retirement nest egg, so after they force me out at 65, I'll be looking for other sources of income.

There just isn't time for the fun proactive stuff anymore... just fighting fires with no budget to buy a decent fire extinguisher. We are still in chapter 11 so at least there's no padlock on the gate. I shouldn't complain... at least I still have a job... coworkers were axed and denied any severance pay.

We still have our health and my cat and dog are still happy to see me.

#199209 - 2010-08-02 11:10 AM Re: Still around... [Re: Les]
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Les,

Sorry to hear about the work issues. Worked for a company that filed for chapter 11 (the Dutch version of it) once myself and it sucked they went bankrupt up at the end leaving everyone without a job and some pension savings issues. Lets hope for better times in the near future.

Shopping for a script is not so bad. Stealing , copying, borrowing a script is perfectly ok imho.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#199231 - 2010-08-03 03:30 AM Re: Still around... [Re: Les]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Well look on the bright side Les... at least you and I don't have too many years left here to keep worrying about the hard times. The youth of today has many more years to worry about it than we did.

Best of luck and I hope things do turn out better for you soon.

Would be nice if things would clear up and be better for all of us.

#199252 - 2010-08-03 04:32 PM Re: Still around... [Re: NTDOC]
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I still drive by on occasion as well.

On occasion I even contribute ;\)

#199260 - 2010-08-03 05:04 PM Re: Still around... [Re: Radimus]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Nice to see you're still around, Rad. Whatever happened to Shawn?

#199299 - 2010-08-04 06:17 PM Re: Still around... [Re: Les]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Well... it's official. The coworker that volunteered to help me when my boss quit has been made my new boss. The plan is to hire one more person to make it a 3 person department. Time will tell what skillset this person will bring. It will be nice to share on-call 3 ways and not have to do 24/7 on-call every other week.

#199360 - 2010-08-06 01:30 AM Re: Still around... [Re: Les]
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

I'm here Les. I drive-by lurk quite often, don't post much anymore though.

I switched jobs about 2 1/2 years ago (left a 20+ year career at a huge canadian company for a contract position at another huge cdn company).

That's when my use for scripting went out the window. Don't script at work anymore. Of course every now and then I get the opportunity because Kix fits perfectly.

Sorry to hear about the hard times at your place. Sounds like they want to keep you around though. Good chance to be "the main man" now. Turn lemons into lemonade and all that crap ;-)

-Shawn

#199365 - 2010-08-06 03:29 AM Re: Still around... [Re: Shawn]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Eh Shawn, nice to see you're still around. I still think of you at times when I'm picking up coffee. The company cut out the free coffee so we make daily runs to Tim's. Well... actually, I make the run. The boss doesn't like to go for coffee but likes to drink it.

#199444 - 2010-08-08 10:47 PM Re: Still around... [Re: Les]
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

Loc: Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
God, do I feel old. I am fast approaching the retirement clift & I get the impression everyone I knew on this board is closely following me. It is like work, whenever I see someone I know from the past, I stop & talk, even if we didn't really work together much. Funny thing though, they always want to talk too.

PS: But it still pleasures me to drop by & still see you all here. Cheers

PS2: Les, the dog & cat's well-being definitely counts, the rest doesn't count as much. You seem to be mellowing though - aren't we all.

#199457 - 2010-08-09 05:10 AM Re: Still around... [Re: Jack Lothian]
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
I'm still around as well. Same story, no need for scripting at work (well, ton's of SQL code), spending more time managing and not much time on the ground anymore, and family keeps me busy as well.

#199580 - 2010-08-15 05:41 PM Re: Still around... [Re: Sealeopard]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
awesome thread boys. been wondering what you guys up to lately.

download KiXnet

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.062 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org