Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#199185 - 2010-07-31 07:24 PM Shopping for a "SendMessage" script
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
I don't know if any of you are familiar with STRCM from SystemTools but I'm looking to do the same sort of thing with the Messenger service to send messages. Essentially the Messenger service is disabled on all computers. I need to start the service, send a message, and then stop/disable the service again. Has anyone a script that does that? How about done in kixforms?

One feature in Hyena from SystemTools is their net send tool allows the sender's name to be spoofed. Anyone have a way using a COM object to do that too?

Am I asking for too much?
Should I have posted to Advanced or COM forum?
Is there really a Santa Claus?

#199187 - 2010-07-31 09:22 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Rad did a drive-by recently asking something similar.
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26831&Number=198521#Post198521

I'm not sure there was a resolution or not. Starting and Stopping services should be easy enough if the Messenger service will work.

#199195 - 2010-08-01 06:10 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Allen]
Les Offline
KiX Master

I read through Rad's thread but didn't see much of anything there. I think that in his case, he might have been able to setup all the recipients with a common message alias so that a single message reaches them all. I need to test that theory...

In my case, my GM wants to send out important announcements as popups. For that, I would want to substitute his computer name with "the General Manager". Aparently there are APIs to do it and lots of freeware out there. I was hoping for something in kixforms I could customize and deal with the starting/stopping of the Messenger service by elevating perms via ASE.

Here is a screenshot of the Hyena Send Message showing how the From: can be changed and delivery errors ignored.

Attachments
204.jpg
Description:

#199198 - 2010-08-01 11:19 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
What's the API look like... maybe we can do it with Dynawrapper or even the PSCom.
#199199 - 2010-08-01 11:31 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Allen]
Les Offline
KiX Master

I've found VB and VBS code but it looks like it does ByVal so not sure KiX can use it. Google for NetMessageBufferSend

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370605(VS.85).aspx

Microsoft has depricated it so I don't see much hope for it in the post XP world. We've stayed away from Vista and it will propapbly be some time before we even look at W7.

#199200 - 2010-08-01 11:42 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Here is a VBS code example.

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77553&postcount=3

#199218 - 2010-08-02 07:33 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Les Offline
KiX Master

I wonder if maybe I should abandon using net send and look at sending messages to the TS console session instead since that's the direction MS has gone with Vista and W7. Anyone come across any code that does that?

Here is the dialog that Hyena uses for that.

Attachments
206.jpg
Description:

#199239 - 2010-08-03 08:31 AM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Les

Thats actually a VB code example. VB.Net to be exact.
If you search the boards, I once did something with net send as well, but so long ago I can't remember anything from it.
Made a gui and all.

#199254 - 2010-08-03 04:35 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Arend_]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Ja, my bad... not VBS.

I'm not sure what direction to go here. My coworker does a bit of VB and could probably write a net send replacement that allows the From to be spoofed and wrap it up in a form. I have a basic kixform that I worked with Shawn on long ago. Given that net send is deprecated, I think that I should go with TS Messaging instead and not use the Messenger service.

I haven't searched for a msg.exe replacement yet that would allow the message title to be changed the way Hyena does it. I found that on XP, I need to add the following registry entry to use TS Messaging:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
Name : AllowRemoteRPC
Type : REG_DWORD
Value : 1

I'll have to research why MS does not to allow remote RPC on XP by default. All my servers allow it by default.

One other approach I'm considering is to put the message into a HTA file so that I can get fancy with formatting and hyperlinks. I could wrap it up into a self extracting exe and push it out. Google LDMsgBox for insight on this approach.

#199255 - 2010-08-03 04:38 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
AceMessaging: http://www.spydaman.com/

#199259 - 2010-08-03 05:01 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Radimus]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Thanks Rad, for the link. Are you using it?

I was searching for canned software but kept getting scared off by the price. We are in chapter 11 and our GM is looking for a free solution. This one seems to be priced reasonably.

License Price Breakdown

ACEmessage (Sending) Licenses
Licenses: 5
Cost Per License: $40
Total: $200
ACE Client (Receiving) Licenses
Number of ACE Client License Packs Required: 3
Max Number of ACE Clients: 300
Cost Per (100) License Pack: $ 50
Total: $ 150

#199291 - 2010-08-04 04:37 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
we were going to use it, but our IT manager has decided just to roll out Office Communicator instead.

I mentioned to him that OC doesn't have a very useful broadcast feature and that we aren't sure if it will even work if the exchange server is down (and they don't want to turn it off to find out)

Sometimes all you can do is hold onto your sent email and wait...

#199298 - 2010-08-04 06:10 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Radimus]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Originally Posted By: Radimus

Sometimes all you can do is hold onto your sent email and wait...
There is CYA and then there is "I told you so". CYA has saved me but "I told you so" usually costs me. I don't much like dealing with upper management that don't want detailed facts and especially don't want it thrown back in their face after the fact.

The person that volunteered to help out when my boss quit has this week been made my new boss. She has more web dev and ASP/VB expertise than I do so after I'm done my research, I will hand it over to her and see if she can find the time to code this up or find the money to buy canned.

#199388 - 2010-08-07 12:24 AM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Les]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
 Quote:
This is a one-way messaging solution which is designed for information to be distributed from a central point (and quickly!).

Well I know the one that Joel and Shawn built did that. Not sure where the code is or if it's even online but I know they were playing with it.

#199557 - 2010-08-14 04:46 PM Re: Shopping for a "SendMessage" script [Re: Radimus]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Originally Posted By: Radimus
I downloaded the free trial version and tested it. I really like that the sender and receiver are separate so that I can setup most to receive only. We demo'd it to management and they really liked it. We will be ordering it soon.

Thanks Rad, for the lead.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.066 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org