Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#198514 - 2010-04-30 02:28 AM RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
A while back a thread was posted that revealed a reghack for mapping drives with a GPO Script and UAC on, was not supported by Microsoft.
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26719&Number=197754

The reghack required changing EnableLinkedConnections - http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26424&Number=195765

Since these threads I've been wanting to revisit this. I remembered another post that discussed running your mapped drives via a vbscript called launchapp.wsf.
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=192303

After looking over the script, I decided I would try to convert it for kix purposes. I had to add the ablility to accept arguments and a little error testing. It appears to run for me on my computer, but none of my clients use a GPO Script.

I was wondering if someone with a GPO Script could test it and post back their results. The point of the the function is to map drives and printers in the context of the user with the UAC on (Vista, Win7) while running in a GPO script. Just create a simple mapdrives.kix file to go along with this.

if instr(@producttype,"Vista") or instr(@producttype,"Windows 7")
  $RC=RunAsInteractiveUser(@scriptdir + "\kix32.exe", @scriptdir + "\mapdrives.kix")
  ? @serror
endif

Function RunAsInteractiveUser($FQFN, optional $arguments, optional $workdir, optional $taskname, optional $donotdelete) Dim $service, $rootfolder, $taskdefinition, $triggers,$trigger,$action, $settings Dim $TriggerTypeRegistration, $ActionTypeExectuable,$flagtaskcreate,$logontypeinteractive if $taskname="" $taskname = "Run As Interactive User - " + @ticks endif $TriggerTypeRegistration = 7 $ActionTypeExecutable = 0 $FlagTaskCreate = 2 $LogonTypeInteractive = 3 if exist($fqfn) $service=CreateObject("Schedule.Service") $service.Connect() $rootFolder=$service.GetFolder("\") $rootFolder.DeleteTask($taskname, 0) $taskDefinition = $service.NewTask(0) $triggers = $taskDefinition.Triggers $trigger = $triggers.Create($TriggerTypeRegistration) $settings=$taskDefinition.Settings $settings.DisallowStartIfOnBatteries = not 1 $settings.StopIfGoingOnBatteries = not 1 $Action = $taskDefinition.Actions.Create($ActionTypeExecutable) $Action.Path = $fqfn if exist($arguments) $Action.Arguments = '"' + $arguments + '"' else exit 2 endif if exist($workdir) $action.WorkingDirectory = $workdir else exit 2 endIf $rc=$rootFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition($taskname, $taskDefinition, $FlagTaskCreate,,, $LogonTypeInteractive) if not $donotdelete sleep 1 $rootFolder.DeleteTask($taskname, 0) endif else exit 2 endif endfunction

#198564 - 2010-05-07 04:55 AM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

Got to be kidding me... no one uses a GPO script? \:\(
#199084 - 2010-07-23 07:38 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KIXKicks Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Allen,

What about using it to do something like this?

Instead of:
 Code:
  $RC=RunAsInteractiveUser(@scriptdir + "\kix32.exe", @scriptdir + "\mapdrives.kix")
  ? @serror
endif

Code:
  $RC=RunAsInteractiveUser(shell '%COMSPEC% /C xcopy "\\$ipserver\netlogon\*.bmp" "c:\network" /d /r /y')
  ? @serror
endif

BTW, it seems to work for the original purpose. Thanks!

Edited by KIXKicks (2010-07-23 07:48 PM)

#199092 - 2010-07-23 10:53 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: KIXKicks]
KIXKicks Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Allen,

Would it be possible to run this as another user (one with Admin Rights) if the Interactive User doesn't have Admin Rights?

#199093 - 2010-07-23 11:05 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: KIXKicks]
KiX Supporter

I would say yes... When I was working on this, I got the impression that you could pretty much set up any scheduled task with any user. However, that is not the point of THIS particular UDF.

If you can make it work, post your code and maybe we can work on the UDFs to make it a new UDF that takes both a user and program.

#199932 - 2010-09-16 10:49 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KIXKicks Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Allen,

Fails to run if on a laptop and not plugged in...is there a way to modify this so the power options under the Conditions tab is disabled or not check?

#199934 - 2010-09-17 12:23 AM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: KIXKicks]
KiX Supporter

Interesting... that would have never crossed my mind as something to look out for... the bad news is, I'm not seeing anything obvious to fix it... here is msdn's page on this...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383607%28VS.85%29.aspx

#199935 - 2010-09-17 12:30 AM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

Found it!... heading out for dinner though... will see what I can come up with afterwards...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383480%28v=VS.85%29.aspx
DisallowStartIfOnBatteries
StopIfGoingOnBatteries

#199936 - 2010-09-17 01:04 AM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

You want to talk about a needle in a hay stack... I found, count them, ONE page in my google searches with an example of how to use the SETTINGS, and it was in Chinese. Nothing on MSDN explaining how to use it.

The good news is, the top most post contains the updated function. See if it works any better.

#199939 - 2010-09-17 02:15 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Allen
and it was in Chinese
Wassamatta? * Your Chinese a tad rusty?

* "wassamatta" is North-Jerseyan/Brooklyneese for "What is the matter", since we're talking about foreign languages. \:D

G-

#199944 - 2010-09-17 04:51 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Glenn Barnas]
KIXKicks Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Allen,

It is good to see your Chinese is still good enough to update your code...yes, it is working now. Thanks!

#199945 - 2010-09-17 04:56 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: KIXKicks]
KiX Supporter

Curious, do you use a GPO script with this or something else?
#199946 - 2010-09-17 05:02 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KIXKicks Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Both...

I have a script which updates the GPO and a local folder on the user's computer when they log in. Alot of times they are remote and so they need their drives via VPN connection.

#201611 - 2011-02-16 05:42 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: KIXKicks]
KIXKicks Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Allen,

I have modified your code [adding the important Working Directory setting]:

Code:
Function RunAsInteractiveUser($FQFN, optional $ARGUMENTS, optional $WORKDIR, optional $TASKNAME, optional $DONOTDELETE)
	Dim $SERVICE, $ROOTFOLDER, $TASKDEFINITION, $TRIGGERS, $TRIGGER, $ACTION, $SETTINGS
	Dim $TriggerTypeRegistration, $ActionTypeExecutable, $FlagTaskCreate, $LogonTypeInteractive

? "TASK EXECUTE: " + $FQFN ?
	? "TASK ARGUMENTS: " + $ARGUMENTS ?
	? "TASK WORKING DIRECTORY: " + $WORKDIR ?
	? "TASK NAME: " + $TASKNAME ?
	? "TASK DELETE: " + $DONOTDELETE ?
	? "TASK USERNAME: " + $UPPERUSERNAME ?
	;$NUL = PAUSE(15)

If $TASKNAME = ""
		$TASKNAME = "Run As Interactive User - " + @ticks
	EndIf

$TriggerTypeRegistration = 7
	$ActionTypeExecutable = 0
	$FlagTaskCreate = 2
	$LogonTypeInteractive = 3

If Exist($FQFN)
		$SERVICE = CreateObject("Schedule.Service")
		$SERVICE.Connect()
		$ROOTFOLDER = $SERVICE.GetFolder("\")
		$ROOTFOLDER.DeleteTask($TASKNAME, 0)
		$TASKDEFINITION = $SERVICE.NewTask(0)
		$TRIGGERS = $TASKDEFINITION.Triggers
		$TRIGGER = $TRIGGERS.Create($TriggerTypeRegistration)
		$SETTINGS = $TASKDEFINITION.Settings
		$SETTINGS.DisallowStartIfOnBatteries = NOT 1
		$SETTINGS.StopIfGoingOnBatteries = NOT 1
		$ACTION = $TASKDEFINITION.Actions.Create($ActionTypeExecutable)
		$ACTION.Path = $FQFN

If Exist($ARGUMENTS)
			$Action.Arguments = '"' + $ARGUMENTS + '"'
		Else
			Exit 2
		EndIf

If Exist($WORKDIR)
			$Action.WorkingDirectory = $WORKDIR
		Else
			Exit 2
		EndIf

$RC = $ROOTFOLDER.RegisterTaskDefinition($TASKNAME, $TASKDEFINITION, $FlagTaskCreate,,, $LogonTypeInteractive)

If NOT $DONOTDELETE
			Sleep 1
			$ROOTFOLDER.DeleteTask($TASKNAME, 0)
		EndIf
	Else
		Exit 2
	EndIf
EndFunction

#201631 - 2011-02-22 03:41 AM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: KIXKicks]
KiX Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll update the top post when I get a few spare minutes.
#206132 - 2012-11-07 06:46 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

Top post updated to reflect KIXKicks suggestion.
#208595 - 2014-02-16 08:57 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
CuthbertRumbold Offline
Just in Town

I've just implemented this in order to get away from the aforementioned registry hack - it works great. THANKS!!

One minor comment, the $workdir parameter is marked optional but if you omit it (as in the example) the function will fail ("exit 2").

Edited by CuthbertRumbold (2014-02-16 08:57 PM)

#208596 - 2014-02-16 09:17 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: CuthbertRumbold]
KiX Supporter

Thanks for letting me know you are using it. The working directory setting was added after I initially wrote this, and I see what you mean. I'll see what I can do to fix it.
#208597 - 2014-02-16 09:25 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

Would you mind trying this and see if it takes care of the problem with workdir?

Code:
Function RunAsInteractiveUser($KixPath, optional $kixscript, optional $workdir, optional $taskname, optional $donotdelete)
  Dim $service, $rootfolder, $taskdefinition, $triggers,$trigger,$action, $settings
  Dim $TriggerTypeRegistration, $ActionTypeExectuable,$flagtaskcreate,$logontypeinteractive
  if $taskname=""
    $taskname = "Run As Interactive User - " + @ticks
  endif
  $TriggerTypeRegistration = 7
  $ActionTypeExecutable = 0
  $FlagTaskCreate = 2
  $LogonTypeInteractive = 3
  if exist($KixPath)
    $service=CreateObject("Schedule.Service")
    $service.Connect()
    $rootFolder=$service.GetFolder("\")
    $rootFolder.DeleteTask($taskname, 0)
    $taskDefinition = $service.NewTask(0)
    $triggers = $taskDefinition.Triggers
    $trigger = $triggers.Create($TriggerTypeRegistration)
    $settings=$taskDefinition.Settings
    $settings.DisallowStartIfOnBatteries = not 1
    $settings.StopIfGoingOnBatteries = not 1
    $Action = $taskDefinition.Actions.Create($ActionTypeExecutable)
    $Action.Path = $KixPath
    if $kixscript
      if $exist($kixscript)
        $Action.Arguments = '"' + $kixscript + '"'
      else
        exit 2
      endif
    endif
    if $workdir
      if exist($workdir)
        $action.WorkingDirectory = '"' + $workdir + '"'
      else
        exit 2
      endif
    endif
    $rc=$rootFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition($taskname, $taskDefinition, $FlagTaskCreate,,, $LogonTypeInteractive)
    if not $donotdelete
      sleep 1
      $rootFolder.DeleteTask($taskname, 0)
    endif
  else
    exit 2
  endif
endfunction

#209779 - 2015-01-05 04:44 PM Re: RunAsInteractiveUser / LaunchApp.wsf Conversion Testing [Re: Allen]
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Oi Allen,

I was given the task to create my first logon script in the current millennium ;\)
Your function works a treat, albeit Cuthbert from 3 posts above is right:

You have to provide a $workdir parameter for this to work

So, this one should be REQUIRED ;\)
Care to post this in the udf lib?

Greetz

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 382 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.077 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org