Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#198931 - 2010-06-30 06:50 AM questions about setting up Kixtart and the code
Kororo Offline
Just in Town

Loc: Hong Kong
HI, everyone.

My boss has asked me to set up a network that every users can login from different computer in the office and access their own home directory in the server in different computer. Yet, some guys have told me i need to use kixtart to write some logon script to mount the directory because of using window xp.

However,some questions have confused me for the whole morning. Our server is using windows server 2008.

First, i want to ask do i need to install Kixtart to both server and all the computer in my office?

Second, Official Kixtart Manual says the Win XP client need only install Kix32.exe. Is it mean I just need to copy this file to the \windows or \windows\system directory.

Third, i want to ask the code.

If INGROUP("HR")
  Use g: /delete
  Use g: "\\servername\hr"
  EndIf

if g:\ is the drive of my computer's hhd, the above will have a error?

if i am the user belong to IT Group, the above would not help my computer to connect to the "\\servername\hr", right?

Forth, in case it need to mount the directory to the related user(Ex. John in HR). Is the following code correct?

If INGROUP("HR")
If INUSER("John")
Use g: "\\servername\John"
END IF
END IF

Fifth, i find some codes in the other post and don't understand it.

IF INGROUP("ADMINS") = 1
AT (17,9) "Connexion \\SVRXSL02\CONSOLES "

what is the different between IF INGROUP("ADMINS") = 1 and IF INGROUP("ADMINS")?
Also what is the meaning of "AT (17,9) "Connexion \\SVRXSL02\CONSOLES ""?

Sorry for about lots of question.

#198932 - 2010-06-30 09:18 AM Re: questions about setting up Kixtart and the code [Re: Kororo]
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Kororo
HI, everyone.

My boss has asked me to set up a network that every users can login from different computer in the office and access their own home directory in the server in different computer. Yet, some guys have told me i need to use kixtart to write some logon script to mount the directory because of using window xp.

In AD users and computer you can set the home folder for the user. If it is set there it will get mapped each time they login.

However,some questions have confused me for the whole morning. Our server is using windows server 2008.

First, i want to ask do i need to install Kixtart to both server and all the computer in my office?

Second, Official Kixtart Manual says the Win XP client need only install Kix32.exe. Is it mean I just need to copy this file to the \windows or \windows\system directory.

Copying kix32.exe or wkix32.exe is enough. I run it during logon directly from the server. This way you only need to update one location when a new version of kixtart is released.

Third, i want to ask the code.

Code:
If InGroup("HR")
EndIf

if g:\ is the drive of my computer's hhd, the above will have a error?

Yes. You need to pick a letter that is free on all systems.

if i am the user belong to IT Group, the above would not help my computer to connect to the "\\servername\hr", right?

True. You can use more than one ingroup statements in one line.
Like this:

Code:
If InGroup("HR") Or InGroup ("IT")
EndIf

Forth, in case it need to mount the directory to the related user(Ex. John in HR). Is the following code correct?

If INGROUP("HR")
If INUSER("John")
END IF
END IF

Almost. You need to remove the spaces from both EndIf's and InUser is not a kix function. You can check on @userid or use instr(@userid, "John").

Code:
If InGroup("HR")
  If @USERID = "John"
  EndIf
EndIf

Fifth, i find some codes in the other post and don't understand it.

IF INGROUP("ADMINS") = 1
AT (17,9) "Connexion \\SVRXSL02\CONSOLES "

what is the different between IF INGROUP("ADMINS") = 1 and IF INGROUP("ADMINS")?
Also what is the meaning of "AT (17,9) "Connexion \\SVRXSL02\CONSOLES ""?

InGroup returns 1 or 0 if user is a member or not. If Ingroup("test") and If Ingroup("test") = 1 will have the same effect. The code below the If statement will be executed when the user is a member.
The At command shows data on the screen where you say it must be showed. The AT command is explained in the manual as are all other commands and functions.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#198933 - 2010-06-30 11:11 AM Re: questions about setting up Kixtart and the code [Re: Mart]
Kororo Offline
Just in Town

Originally Posted By: Mart

Copying kix32.exe or wkix32.exe is enough. I run it during logon directly from the server. This way you only need to update one location when a new version of kixtart is released.

if do so, i guest i need to follow the instruction of "To install KiXtart on the network" in the manual.But where is the NETLOGON?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Code:
If InGroup("HR")
  If @USERID = "John"
  EndIf
EndIf

Code:
net use g:\\servername\John

once is KiXtart and the another is cmd in windows, what are the different between two of them?

#198934 - 2010-06-30 11:25 AM Re: questions about setting up Kixtart and the code [Re: Kororo]
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
Netlogon is a share name. It is basically the same as the Sysvol share.
You can find the netlogon folder by browsing to \\yourdomaincontroler\netlogon or \\yourdomainname\netlogon

The difference between Kixtart and cmd? Kixtart has a lot of options that batch does not have.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#198936 - 2010-06-30 03:37 PM Re: questions about setting up Kixtart and the code [Re: Mart]
Kororo Offline
Just in Town

Thanks for help me a lot Mart
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 507 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.054 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org