USE p: "\\SERVERNAME\data1\projects"
USE o: "\\SERVERNAME\data1\open"

SELECT

CASE InGroup("IT Dept")
USE w: "\\SERVERNAME\data1\workgroup\it"
CASE InGroup("Accounting Dept")
USE w: "\\SERVERNAME\data1\workgroup\accounting"

ENDSELECT

The u: and w: drives depend on the active directory user id and group membership. This works great on our local network.

In order for users to connect to our file server remotely, they must use VPN, which doesn't use windows authentication. Once the VPN connection is established, I can go to start, run, then type \\SERVERNAME\data1\... , I'm prompted for the AD ID and password and if I enter them correctly I can access the file server. If I run the above script, only o: and p: map while u: and w: fail. How can I get the user id and group membership passed to the login script so u: and w: map?

Thanks!

#195599 - 2009-08-26 12:27 AM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Aaron T Granberg]
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Houston TX
sounds like the workstations are not authenticating to the AD.

can you try ingroup('\\DC\groupname') perhaps?

#195604 - 2009-08-26 06:51 AM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Bryce]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
not knowing your type of vpn or network settings, but one thing to try without knowing those, try to connect with FQDN.
depending on your vpn/firewall setup, you might need to allow some additional traffic in the filters...

download KiXnet

#195611 - 2009-08-26 03:28 PM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Lonkero]
Aaron T Granberg Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: MN
Thank you for the replies. Perhaps more background info will help.

The workstations connecting remotely are not part of the domain. They are employees' personal computers from home.

Only certain IP subnets can access the domain, so remote users must use VPN. Once the VPN is established, the remote workstation is on a subnet that can access the domain. The VPN ID and Password are independent of the domain.

This works correctly, as I can authenticate and access our file server once the VPN is established. However I can not get the login script to map drives based on the domain userid and group membership. It will map drives with static paths using the USE command only.

Thanks again for your help!

#195616 - 2009-08-26 06:20 PM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Aaron T Granberg]
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
you will need to RUNAS the script file

#195619 - 2009-08-26 09:38 PM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Radimus]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
uhm.
not really needing runas...
change the vpn user script to ask for user info.
once you know the username and password, you can use:
use \\server\ipc$ /user:username passwd

download KiXnet

#195637 - 2009-08-27 05:13 PM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Lonkero]
Aaron T Granberg Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: MN
Thanks again for the replies.

Lonkero, regarding the VPN user script, are you referring to a kixtart script that can be initiated after the VPN is established (my VPN doesn't use the active directory domain ID and password)? If so, would you please explain how to make a kixtart scipt ask for user info? An example would be great, or anything to point me in the right direction (I'm definately not a kix master guru).

I appreciate everyone's help on this!

#195647 - 2009-08-28 10:05 AM Re: Mapping drives after VPN connection established [Re: Aaron T Granberg]
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
There are three common ways of doing it:
  1. Use the built-in KiXtart commands and prompt at the console. This is the simplest and lightest method, but some people freak out when they can't use a mouse in a dialogue.
  2. Create an Internet Explorer form. Search the site for examples of this. It doesn't require any local installation but can be difficult to control and is subject to MS changing the security model.
  3. Use KiXforms to create a bespoke form. This is the most felixible solution, but requires the KiXforms DLL to be installed / registered on every client.

If you use the KiXtart built-ins for a console solution then search the UDF forum for an alternative to GetS for the password prompt.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.136 seconds in which 0.067 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org