Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#19352 - 2002-04-02 07:41 PM searched, but still no good on INGROUP
gintaras Offline
Fresh Scripter

I looked and didn't find anything that would help me. I am trying to run a very somple IF, it goes like this

IF INGROUP("css")=1
CALL "css"
ENDIF

Works fine on Win2K, but not on Windows 95

If I run kix32 logon /d, I stop at the IF statement, looks like the IF statement is not true, but it is, anyone??

#19353 - 2002-04-02 07:46 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
gintaras Offline
Fresh Scripter

actually, I only added the =1 at the end after doing a search. I was using just IF INGROUP("css")...

but it seems to work both ways on 2000, just not on 9x. I don't think I need the =1 anyway because I am after global, domain groups.

#19354 - 2002-04-02 07:50 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
Is this a global or local group? Have you verified that you are indeed executing the same version of Kix32 on each computer? Older versions of KiXtart returned different values.

Is any of the documentation below relevant to your situation?
quote:
KiXtart provides functions to test or enumerate the group-membership of the current user (specifically: InGroup() and EnumGroup()). These functions operate on an in-memory list of groups the user is a member of. This list is filled once during every KiXtart session (in other words: once every time you run KIX32.EXE).

Previous versions of KiXtart always queried the logonserver for the group-membership information. This provided information on both local and global groups in the logondomain. As of KiXtart 2001, KiXtart retrieves group-membership information using the security token of the current user. The benefit of the new method is that KiXtart can now support universal groups as well as nested global groups.

Note: Because a security token is created during the logon of a user and does not change while that user is logged on, changes to the user’s group-membership are not visible to KiXtart until the next time the user logs on.

Group-membership information cache

As both methods of retrieving the group-membership are relatively costly in terms of network traffic and process time the latest update of KiXtart caches the group-membership information in the registry. This means that once the cache is filled, subsequent runs of KIX32.EXE will require much less time to retrieve the group-membership information.

The group-membership cache is stored in the registry hive of the current user and contains security-identifier-to-groupname mappings. Changes to a user's group-membership are automatically handled by KiXtart during the next logon.

Note: If an existing group is renamed, that change will not be visible to KiXtart until the next time the token-cache is refreshed.

The cache is automatically refreshed every 30 days.

A refresh of the cache can also be forced using the new '/f' command line option:

KIX32 /f

Optionally, you can include a date, indicating how old the cache must be for it to be refreshed:

KIX32 /f:2001/12/31

Note: The group-membership cache feature of KiXtart is only available on Windows NT or higher.

[ 02 April 2002, 19:51: Message edited by: Howard Bullock ]

#19355 - 2002-04-02 08:04 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
gintaras Offline
Fresh Scripter

It's Active Directory, the group has Domain Local group scope.
#19356 - 2002-04-02 08:06 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Your domain controllers must run the Kixtart RPC service if you are using Windows 9x computers.

#19357 - 2002-04-02 08:19 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Thanks Jens, that crossed my mind and I even went to verify in the docs, but missed this:
quote:
Note:
Using the KiXtart RPC service is optional. However, without it, extended information, such as local groups, is not available to Windows 9x systems.

I was going there again when he said that the group was a local group.

#19358 - 2002-04-02 08:59 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
gintaras Offline
Fresh Scripter

thanks guys, I was afraid I had to use RPC, but was hoping not too, here's what I did:

run kxrpc -install from the netlogon directory of each of the three domain controllers.

start the KIX RPC service on each server

add "set kxrpc=\\sksfnt1, \\skengnt2, \\skfpnt3" to the logon batch file for the 9x computers.

all is good! Thanks again!

#19359 - 2002-04-02 09:05 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Glad to hear that everything worked out. You really do not need to add the "set KXRPC" if the service is on the DCs of the logon domain. Kix looks there as a default location.

quote:
If the KiXtart RPC service cannot be installed on all logon servers, KiXtart must be directed to locate a specific server running the service. This can be achieved by:

· Setting an environment variable before running KiXtart 95.
· Adding a subkey to the registry of Windows 9x clients.
· Adding an initialisation file to the KiXtart 95 startup directory

#19360 - 2002-04-02 09:56 PM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Gintaras:

You might want to install the Kixtart RPC service correctly. Right now the service runs form the NETLOGON folder whereas the service should rather go to the WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder. The Kixtart download contains a utility to install the RPC service into the WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder. I would not run it from the NETLOGON folder. It's too easy to delete that file accidentally thinking it's not needed.

#19361 - 2002-04-07 01:41 AM Re: searched, but still no good on INGROUP
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear,

We advise to use following structure for group membership.
code:
IF (Ingroup("domain admins") <> 0)
? "member of 'domain admins'"
ELSE
? "no member of 'domain admins'"
ENDIF

explaination:
  • 0 = no member of local/global group
  • kixtart 3.x
    - 1 = member of global group
    - 2 = member of local group
  • kixtart 4.x
    - 1 = member of global or local group
greetings.
email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org