Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#188529 - 2008-07-02 08:38 PM Creating shortcuts with WshShortcut without admin privileges
PetersonEB Offline
Just in Town

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to create shortcuts in the Start Menu when not running the logon script as a local admin? I am using the WshShortcut UDF, which is running fine until I log in as a regular user. I stripped down the code and separated it and it seems to error out when using the CreateShortcut method on line 2...

Code:
$Shell=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
$Shortcut=$Shell.CreateShortcut("c:\test.lnk)
$Shortcut.TargetPath="c:\windows\notepad.exe"
$Shortcut.Save

I tried this same code under VBScript (modified) and it works fine. I am running it on XP, but I get the same results on 2k. Does Kix treat COM objects differently than VBS?

#188530 - 2008-07-02 08:43 PM Re: Creating shortcuts with WshShortcut without admin privileges [Re: PetersonEB]
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
You can use AdminScript Editor (ASE), RunAs, Runn As( note the double n), Kix2EXE and/or the tokenization feature that is build in in kix. This way you can relatively safe include a password and username to use when running the script that creates the shortcuts. If you do a search on one or all of them then you’ll loads of results showing you how to use it.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#188531 - 2008-07-02 10:07 PM Re: Creating shortcuts with WshShortcut without admin privileges [Re: Mart]
PetersonEB Offline
Just in Town

Nevermind. It looks like admin privileges are not required after all. The problem was that I was only creating the folder for the shortcuts to be placed into in some situations. The user account I have been testing happened to bypass all the functions that would have created it first. That doesn't explaining that piece of script bombing with user privileges, but oh well.
#188533 - 2008-07-02 11:07 PM Re: Creating shortcuts with WshShortcut without admin privileges [Re: PetersonEB]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
There are a couple of wshshortcut udfs on this board. Could you provide a link to the one you are using?
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 507 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org