Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#182551 - 2007-11-13 09:48 AM AddPrinterConnection vs. rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry
mps581 Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hello All,

I've been wondering if anyone can give me a good comparison of using AddPrinterConnection in KiXtart or the rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry method explained in MSKB article 189105.

Right now I'm using AddPrinterConnection in KiXtart with a unc path to a location on an existing print server to add new printers when a user logs on.

However, the method in Microsoft's article shows an example of how to directly add an IP printer to a workstation, with the creation of the respective IP_192.168.X.X port on the workstation.

Does anyone out there have a lot of experience using the Microsoft method?
If so, some pros and cons would be helpful.

Thanks again.

- Mark

#182564 - 2007-11-13 03:46 PM Re: AddPrinterConnection vs. rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry [Re: mps581]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Please see... Addprinter() - http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=84165#Post84165

Addprinterconnection is the way to connect to NT Based print servers, and in most cases is the preferred way of doing things. Once the printer is shared correctly, the print drivers come over when you add the connection.

Addprinter(printui.dll,PrintUIEntry) is a way to add a Local printer (including IP, LPT, COM) to a workstation, and it requires the print drivers be available to install.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org