Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#182073 - 2007-10-30 07:57 AM Vist Business and Kix
Ashpoint Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
My client just self installed a Vista Business laptop into their network and comment that the Kix script I wrote for them doesn't seem to be working. It works fine on all the existing WinXP clients.

I'm going to visit the client for other matter including this one.

I didn't think there is an issue with Kix and Vista but thought I would check with the forum - just in case!!!

So, any issues with Kix and Vista?

#182074 - 2007-10-30 09:00 AM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: Ashpoint]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Well lot of things that it may not be able to do if just being ran as a logon script and not as a policy. Don't forget there is now the UAC (User Account Control) that blocks just about everything

Also there are a few minor issues with 64Bit - depends on what you're trying to do with the script.

#182108 - 2007-10-30 06:08 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: NTDOC]
Witto Offline
MM club member

Loc: Belgium
As far as I understood untill now, the user will have problems if he is a local administrator

After you turn on User Account Control in Windows Vista, programs may be unable to access some network locations

#182109 - 2007-10-30 06:18 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: Witto]
Administrator

LOL - Don't remind me of what a flop Vista is for Business and yet there are still many that flocked right to it.
#182111 - 2007-10-30 08:45 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: NTDOC]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Our entire IT dept migrated to Vista last week on our primary systems - although each of us has a secondary laptop system. We needed to prepare for the inevitable.. Only had two issues with the logon script - one was a UDF that didn't query memory properly on 64b systems, but not limited to Vista. The other was that the login script ran "behind the scenes", even though we have Run Visible/Run Synchronously GPOs defined. Needed to define a registry key on the workstation to see the script..

Run Logon Script Visible:
Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Value: DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout
Data: 0
Type: REG_DWORD

So far, very few UAC issues.. <holding_breath>

Glenn

#182112 - 2007-10-30 10:19 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Administrator

But you must be running the logon script as a policy aren't you? Otherwise I would think it would not treat it as an authorized and elevated operation if just calling it as a normal entry in user management.

KIX32.EXE LOGON.KIX

Have not been there and tested it but sure was a slew of complaints on the Web over it I thought.

#182113 - 2007-10-30 10:23 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: NTDOC]
Administrator

Another reason I dislike Vista is that on a Windows 2000, XP, 2003 system even if the system is not in your Domain or Workgroup - if you can supply the local system credentials and the firewall is not on or blocking you - it's possible to connect remotely and perform Administrative tasks. Vista does not allow that and will stop the attempt.
You may be able to do it with a WMI script (have not tried) but a normal

NET USE M: \\MACHINEx\C$ /U:MACHINEx\Administrator

does not work against a Vista box in my experience but does for the other OS versions.

#182114 - 2007-10-30 11:10 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: NTDOC]
KiX Supporter

I do not run scripts as policies.. each user's login script field contains "kix32.exe" - nothing more. (except mine, which contains "kix32.exe kixtart2.kix" - which allows me to test the login script before I unleash it on the populus..

Glenn

#182115 - 2007-10-30 11:20 PM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: NTDOC]
KiX Supporter

Since all our systems are behind the corporate firewall, there are no local firewalls on the workstations. Aside from disabling the firewall, I haven't run into the same issues..

net use x: \\vistapc\c$ /user:vistapc\administrator P@ssw0rd
just worked for me. Of course, the default installation leaves the administrator account disabled. I defined a password and enabled the account as part of the install process. If you don't do that, it won't work.

There are some anomolies, some (I think) due to outdated tools..
pslist \\VistaPC fails, but XNet List \\VistaPC works just fine. SIT 2.0 works well against Vista systems using a combination of remote registry, wmi, and other processes. Version 2.2 uses WMI almost exclusively, and works fine, including managing services, processes, and such.

I'll publish my configuration tasks when they're complete - might be useful to others..

Glenn

#182116 - 2007-10-31 01:59 AM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Administrator

Actually that sounds great Glenn. Maybe the Admin account being disabled was the issue, not sure as I didn't spend the time to work it out I just got the software I needed installed and got the system running on the production line as almost a dumb input terminal off our Domain.

Sound like if it's on the same Domain then most stuff should work as before which is good news.

#182120 - 2007-10-31 02:31 AM Re: Vist Business and Kix [Re: NTDOC]
KiX Supporter

Yeah - the !@@#@ing admin account being disabled caused much gastric distress - caused the Tums stock to rise that week by myself! ;\)

G-

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.064 seconds in which 0.025 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org