Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#17641 - 2002-02-19 04:35 PM Variables?
Austin Offline
Seasoned Scripter

If you set a variable in script A and Script B is called from script A will B know the variables that were set in the calling script A?

Thanks

#17642 - 2002-02-19 04:37 PM Re: Variables?
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
yes.

Although, it probably depends on how you call it...

Call "anotherscript.kix" yes it will
shell "some batfile.bat" may or may not...

#17643 - 2002-02-19 04:41 PM Re: Variables?
Austin Offline
Seasoned Scripter

I am using call another.kix

Thank you

#17644 - 2002-02-19 04:55 PM Re: Variables?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Austin,
RTFM re: DIM and GLOBAL as those rules apply.

#17645 - 2002-02-19 05:02 PM Re: Variables?
Austin Offline
Seasoned Scripter

RTFM:

#17646 - 2002-02-19 05:52 PM Re: Variables?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Just a heads up to Read The Fine Manual.

I have to wonder what the real issue is. I mean, you can toss together a couple of lines of code to test and answer your own question so wonder if maybe it's a DIM or GLOBAL issue.

Don't get me wrong, we don't mind simple questions. Just sometimes we have to read between the lines as to what the real issue may be.

#17647 - 2002-02-19 06:54 PM Re: Variables?
Austin Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Considering a reply that I was given on an additional post I will assume that you in fact do not mind simple posts.. however I believe there are those that do. I readily admit that I do not know kix.. I have been using kix for two weeks now and I am stuck in the bat world.. which is compatible while different at the same time... I have gotten some wonderful help on this board but it seems that there are those that enjoy their level of confidence in the language..if you will... and as a result I will refrain from posting to this board unless absolutely necessary. I am sorry to have put anyone out with my posts and I thank you for your help thus far...

#17648 - 2002-02-20 07:45 AM Re: Variables?
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Austin, Austin....from Murfreesboro, TN

Take it easy guy... I think everyone here is quite willing to help. Some times we vent too - Hopefully not too much.

I have no idea whether or not you have read the manual or not, but if not, a good reason for reading it is that it will give you a better overall (global, if you will) understanding of the program. What it can do and in general how to do it or what code to try. I have been on this board now since July 2000 and I'm nearly up to 1,000 posts. Not all those posts are to help people, some are asking for help myself. I still have problems running some code or getting KiXtart to do exactly what I want it to do. That's when I try to suck in my pride some and ask others how to do what it is I'm trying to do.

Hey... StanDaMan posted a real nasty response here.... most of us are still helping him though (I think).
http://kixtart.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001901

Please don't take this stuff to heart as I'm sure no one means too much by it. Also please remmeber that there is a VERY diversified culture here with most Nations of the world represented. Not all of us have the same humor and/or method of verbalizing our thoughts.

I know we are living the life (here in the US anyways) where we are all supposed to be more "Politically Correct" and "Sensitive" to everyone's feelings, but hey... not everyone in the world subscribes to how we do things here in the US.

Bottom Line
Take it easy Austin, we still love ya man...

As Rodney said:
"Can't we all just get along?"

[ 20 February 2002: Message edited by: NTDOC ]

#17649 - 2002-02-20 03:50 PM Re: Variables?
Austin Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Thank you for your reply and I appreciate yor willingness to help.. I mean no disrespect to those that are active posters on this board.. I have the manual on my desk and I am reading through it.. is there a newer version of the manual avaliable? we are at 4.02 but the man is still 3.61? what is up with that?

#17650 - 2002-02-20 04:14 PM Re: Variables?
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Austin,

Might try downloading the 4.02 package from here:

The 4.02 package

The new manual is inside there ... the file is called kix2001.doc ... but like Les says, the manual is a good one time read, but after a while you`ll will want to get yourself the HTML help version, also available from the downloads section of this board.

-Shawn

#17651 - 2002-02-20 04:47 PM Re: Variables?
Les Offline
KiX Master

A quick note... The html version on kixtart.org is out-dated. For the latest and greatest, goto http://www.scriptlogic.com/kixtart/

And keep firing the questions... we like 'em all easy and tough!

#17652 - 2002-02-20 05:31 PM Re: Variables?
New Mexico Mark Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Columbia, SC
Hi Austin:

Speaking of the manual, the KiXtart manual has pretty high information density. This means you won't find a 10,000 page manual that repeats itself dozens of times. Almost every key aspect of KiXtart is covered in a few pages before getting to the actual commands and functions, but it bears reading several times. I've used the language for a couple of years and I still find tidbits of useful information in the manual.

There are areas I'd like to see improved. For instance, I'd like to see more and better code examples in the HTML version of the manual. In programming practice, an example is worth a thousand words.

BTW, don't think you were just getting slammed by the suggestion to try your own examples. While there are some excellent coders here, keep in mind that no one cares about your code more than you do. Creating your own test code not only allows you to prove to yourself for certain how KiXtart behaves, but it helps you get more comfortable with creating good code.

I have a directory called 'test' where I try all my stupid KiXtart tricks. There are lots of junk files there, and occasionally I just delete gobs of files just to clean up. If any code in that directory becomes a project or a good example to keep, I move it to another directory.

I also created a batch file ks.bat in my path to run the executable, so all I have to do at the command line is type 'ks file' to test a kix script. Another shortcut batch file ue.bat allows me to edit that file in UltraEdit with the command 'ue file'. (I also have one for notepad.exe 'np.bat' and wordpad.exe 'wp.bat'. Basically, anything to shorten the edit-run loop will drastically improve your development time.

Another small tip is to put the HTML version of the help file on your desktop for quick reference.

I'm sure there are dozens of tips others could offer to speed/ease development, but I just thought you might find those useful.

New Mexico Mark

#17653 - 2002-02-20 05:35 PM Re: Variables?
Austin Offline
Seasoned Scripter

I have the HTML on the desktop now... it is better than the doc version.. and is up to date!

Thanks again

#17654 - 2002-02-20 05:48 PM Re: Variables?
Les Offline
KiX Master

I too, have a test folder. Within it I have the KIX32.EXE and shortcuts to the folowing:
CMD (DOS box)
NotePad (yeah, I know)
KiXtart.chm (html help)
kix2001.doc
Blank.doc (for the copy/paste/cut/paste thingy)
dozens of "test" scripts.

Rather than have BAT files to automate, I just drag'n'drop. FE, if I want to see the error (yeah, I get a few) that flashes just before the console closes, I open the DOS box, drag KIX32 on it, [space], drag script on it, [enter]. If I need to debug, I add [space, /d] before [enter].

#17655 - 2002-02-20 06:21 PM Re: Variables?
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have a nicely duplexed version of the word doc sitting in a handy blue binder right on my desk.
I have .kix associated with notepad, a double-click away from editing at anytime.
I keep a development folder on my server where I store my UDFs, Code snippets, old out of date routines and procedures...
I regularly blow up my desktop (sometimes) in the testing of code, install routines for apps to deploy, etc. and so have learned not to keep too much local to my PC. Then I blow it away and re-image it to office standard (about 45 minutes of Drive Image doing its dirty work) and then I'm off to the races again.

Iy you look in the UDF section, you'll find a few UDFs that I made that duplicated some built-in functionality of kix 401... that I never noticed until someone mentioned to me that it was already in the manual. I spent 2 days troubleshooting the chopit UDF because it wouldn't use my preferred function name of split... now that was dense.

In fact the only one on this board that hasn't 'dead-headed' something is Shawn... He is so far out ahead of us, we all stand (well, I sit) in awe of his next piece of merlin code :-)

#17656 - 2002-02-22 01:25 AM Re: Variables?
MCA Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Netherlands, EU
Dear Austin,

Be aware that sometimes problems on this board was found which haqs to deal
with incorrect information in f.e. online help file.
Verify the information with the released documentation when you have real
problems with one command or function.
greetings.

email scripting@wanadoo.nl homepage scripting@wanadoo.nl | Links | Summary of Site Site KiXforms FAQ kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | FAQ & UDF help file UDF kixtart.org library collection mirror MCA | mirror USA | mirror europe UDF scriptlogic library collection UDFs | mirror MCA

#17657 - 2002-02-22 02:52 AM Re: Variables?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Or if you run into any discrepancies in the html file, drop a line to our friends at ScriptLogic and they will revise the help file.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.071 seconds in which 0.027 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org