Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#173480 - 2007-02-01 12:20 AM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Get rid of %COMSPEC% and the Nul stuff as it does nothing for you.

If the uninstaller supports silent switches it will be silent.

Code:
Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"

Though I can pretty much tell you that it isn't going to work that way.

Just sit there at the command line in a DOS prompt and type in those commands to see if you can get it to uninstall silently or not.

uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu
uninst.exe -s -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu
uninst.exe /y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu
uninst.exe /s -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu

etc... if you can't find a combination that works then KiX can't do it either.

This software, can it be mailed or downloaded and installed as a test? I'm sure it can be removed by brute force as well but one needs to know what all it installs and where first.

#173481 - 2007-02-01 12:27 AM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
for an uninstall, your command will look something like:

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -a -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu" '

The -a option might help... or might not.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q100021

But ultimately it is based on the version of the installshield app that packaed it.

So.. SOME APPS DO NOT HAVE A SILENT UNINSTALL and there is little that can be done short of a brute force removal, del the reg keys, the folder , the shortcuts... not all apps are created equal

#173515 - 2007-02-01 07:08 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Radimus]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

I'm wondering..if i want a silent install.......do i need to include this line in the code then.....

'Press any key to continue ' ?

#173518 - 2007-02-01 09:02 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]

not usually.. it depends on the ininstaller. If it kicks off a second process that does the uninstall

try it and see it it applies to this one.

But usually it isn't necessary

#173527 - 2007-02-01 10:41 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Radimus]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

i'm wondering if i put " /qb- /i" after the unbinst.exe if it will make it a silent uninstall without any prompts to the user??
#173529 - 2007-02-01 11:05 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Wonder no more. Try it and see.
#173530 - 2007-02-01 11:05 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]

OK... This is the last time.

What makes you think the " /qb- /i" will do anything? those are the switches for msiexec, not the switches for installshield's uninst.exe.

So completely ignore all the information that was given to you by people that have done this for years and continue to throw random switches on the command and see what happens.

In fact you aren't even trying them, you are asking us if it ok to try them.

#173536 - 2007-02-02 04:03 AM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Radimus]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

fellows, i ve tried all those suggestion at the DOS prompt and there's still no silence unisntall..howver Radimus did mention suing "brute force removal, del the reg keys, the folder , the shortcuts". i really don't mind doing that so any suggestions to get rid of all with no traces at all even, as long as it's a silent uinstall.....
#173547 - 2007-02-02 05:08 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Björn Offline
Korg Regular

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden.
Erhm.... dude, just work your way thro what switch is the right one to throw with the uninstall-string. And mind, do it on a computer with the program in question, that way you KNOW if it works or not. You got the link a few lines above to the different switches.
edit: just read that you did test it, but alas - didn't work. I must say that you missed something then.

edit: You might wanna check this out as well:

Code:
Discussion

There are two ways in which a silent uninstall can be performed.

Using a Response File

To run an uninstallation using a response file:

1. Prepare a response file for the uninstallation (.iss) by running Setup.exe with the /r argument:

Setup.exe /r
   2. Locate the Setup.iss file generated in the Windows folder and copy it to the desired location.

3. Type the following at the command line (items in Italics represent data that is specific to your product's uninstallation):

IDriver.exe /M{Your Product GUID} /s /f1"<FULLY qualified path>\YourResponseFile.iss"

Note: The /f1 parameter is necessary only if the Setup.iss file is located in a directory other than in the same location as Setup.exe.

Simple Uninstallation

If you do not want to follow the script logic and want to uninstall the product, you can use the following command line:

IDriver.exe /M{Your Product GUID} /uninst

The /uninst parameter causes a forced uninstallation without opening the script. It rolls back the system changes made during the installation, including those from the MSI package and any InstallShield scripting.

Note: For both of these uninstallation options, the /M argument is case sensitive.

Note: By default, the file "IDriver.exe" is located in the following path:

<ProgramFiles>\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\<Version>\Intel 32.

link - http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106685

NOTE: above is more or less only valid depending on your installation, the other and previous link might still be the better and working choice. Welcome to the world of installshield.....

Edited by Björn (2007-02-02 05:17 PM)

#173559 - 2007-02-02 10:40 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Björn]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

Bjorn i am not sur about the GUID line cause what if all the computers running the porgram have different GUID as is recommeded in this line..... and are you saying if i put this line in there the uninstall should be silent.....

IDriver.exe /M{Your Product GUID} /uninst

#173566 - 2007-02-02 11:16 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Witto Offline
MM club member

Loc: Belgium
I presume the GUID Björn is talking about is the programs GUID. Maybe you can find it in the registry under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"
#173567 - 2007-02-02 11:20 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Witto]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

Witto that's the case....however, the GUID may vary from pc to pc.......right??
#173570 - 2007-02-02 11:41 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Witto Offline
MM club member

IMHO, no. Or do you have different versions of the program?
Maybe just take a look at some of your computers?

#173614 - 2007-02-04 03:12 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Witto]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

Good day fellows.....it's me again.....i've tried everything under the sun but the uninstall still prompts users to anser yes or no at prompt before it uninstalls. however i did find the particular file it's asking users to answer YES to. I am wondering if there's a way to(maybe a command line or script) silently or automathically say yes to this file........

LMSYNC.DLL

#173617 - 2007-02-04 04:56 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
No, there is not. This is a safegiuard by Windows ot prevent DLLs to be deleted that could potentially still be in use by other applications.

#173621 - 2007-02-04 10:55 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Sealeopard]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

i've tried all these switches for silent uninstall but without success.... anh other wild guesses would be more than appreciated.....

Shell 'C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe -y -f"C:\Program Files\Pivotal\Relation\DeIsL1.isu"

"/q"
"/qb-"
"/s"
"-a"
"-s"
"-y"

#173622 - 2007-02-04 11:34 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Did you try to record an answer file and then play it back?

#173623 - 2007-02-04 11:45 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Les]
selormquarshie Offline
Getting the hang of it

LES...NO I DIND'T CAUSE I'M NOT SURE HOW TO DO THAT??
#173624 - 2007-02-04 11:48 PM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: selormquarshie]
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
I've told you before not to SHOUT!

#173625 - 2007-02-05 12:01 AM Re: ANY SAVIOUR I N HERE TODAY?? [Re: Les]
Witto Offline
MM club member

Radimus gave a link to the installshield support site. There I read:
 Quote:

-d
Identifies a single file that is to be deleted. The display of user interface elements is the same as when the -a switch is used. The syntax is as follows:
-dC:\Temp\filename.ext.

Could that help you?

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 262 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.28 seconds in which 0.212 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org