Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9 - 1999-05-24 08:57 AM Protection problem in NT??
Anonymous
Unregistered

For 2 days I have been trying to find the protection that allows my script to change a registry setting, and works for me, as administrator, but not for users. I have reset protections for the key, subkey, hive, etc. and every file that it might write to that I can think of but when I check the protection for users for that key (i.e., PROFILES under hkey current user/software/windows/current version/
it is still READ ONLY. All I want to do is turn off display editing on the control panel on the workstations for all users and they wander all about the lab!! I am using NT 4.0...WHAT AM I MISSING??????????
Thanks--need help soon!!

#10 - 1999-05-26 04:01 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, you want to prevent the users from changing display settings?

------------------
Tony Reno
renoa@rfa.org

#11 - 1999-05-26 04:55 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, and I am sure there is another way (i.e., some generic policy I have to learn how to use) and I know I can do it from policy editor while the user is logged in but that's not any way to do it...I'm sort of in a hurry to get it working and protected...and very new to NT. The script seemed so perfect...

Thanks for any help in advance!

#12 - 1999-05-27 02:19 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, unfortunately I think the best way to secure it is to go in and use the NT profiles on the client's NT box.
IF you can find the registry entry that corresponds, then Kix would do it. But you know that already.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

------------------
Tony Reno
renoa@rfa.org

#13 - 2001-07-24 04:48 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Sorry this post is not Kix-centric. You have a few options.

1. Use something like Fortres to lock down the lab (search for another post on this forum).

2. Use local policies, but you already know this one.

3. Customise the .default user hive that everyone inherits.

For option 3 (Don't try this at home!):

Don't know if this will help. Depends how far along you are with deployment. It only works with local profiles and involves blowing away all the profiles (except those you don't want to lock down.

You simply setup a special temporary default user with local admin rights. Logon as that user and set all your preferences, including reg hacks, etc. Backup the existing Default User profile, then logon as administrator and from My Computer | Properties | User Profiles, Copy To... this special user profile to where Default User is.

Now every new user will inherit this 'special' default user. The key word is 'new'. You need to blow away their existing profile. If you have a lot of users drifting through your lab, you probably already do cleanup of the profiles.

Personally, I use a combination of all three options.

#14 - 2001-07-24 04:53 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Les,

did you notice that this thread is dead since over 2 Years ???

J.

#15 - 2001-07-24 05:06 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry dudes, I dragged it out of it's grave by accident...
Don't worry I washed my hands afterwards!

#16 - 2001-07-24 05:11 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
heh. jpols, isn't it important to help anyways
even thou the person wanting help might be in graveyard too!

download KiXnet

#17 - 2001-07-24 05:16 PM Re: Protection problem in NT??
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
JPOLS,
Yuks! Newby mistake. Not paying attention. Won't happen again. Going to go wash my hands now...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org