Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#148767 - 2005-09-29 08:26 PM Re: SetDefaultPrinter() Overrides User Set Default Printer
tjcarst Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: USA
I use getdefaultprinter.udf in my user login script. I record the printer to a file on a server so that I can look up the default printer for computers if needed. This way if someone new signs onto a computer and wants a printer installed or if the printer is deleted, I know which one to install. I use this mainly for reference.

For shared computers, I use different scripts to add and set default printers using Active Directory groups of some workstations for specific printers. I don't use this for computers that have only one user.

#148768 - 2005-09-29 08:38 PM Re: SetDefaultPrinter() Overrides User Set Default Printer
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
eh, I thought you said setdefaultprinter overrides the old one?
it still does that.

now, on the next logon your getdefaultprinter would save the one set by your script as the default.

I think you should just simply do:
if not getdefaultprinter ;there is no defaultPrinter yet
setdefaultprinter("\\serverDude\everyonesDefault")
endif

download KiXnet

#148769 - 2005-09-30 01:54 AM Re: SetDefaultPrinter() Overrides User Set Default Printer
tjcarst Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I write the results of default printer to a logfile that includes the date/time, username, and default printer EACH time a user logs into the computer. This isn't really necessary, so it will probably be disabled. I set this up when I was going to migrate from one print server to another (novell to ms).

Now that I've setup the AD computer printer groups, it is simple to add printers to a workstation. The user calls complaining they can't print, I add their computer to appropriate computer group and have them login again. It works very slick for me.

#148770 - 2005-09-30 01:59 AM Re: SetDefaultPrinter() Overrides User Set Default Printer
tjcarst Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I personally don't care if the default printer gets overridden. The users can print where I set them up to print. If they don't like it, they'll call and I can put their workstations in the appropriate default printer group and additional printer groups and they'll be happy. Default printers don't change much unless a new printer is added. The majority of my computers are shared by 20+ nurses or therapists. They print to the closest printer. If they need color, it is an additional printer and they know how to change it. New computers added to the network are put into the same printer groups as the rest of the surrounding computers. Computers that are not shared, do not usually get printers assigned via kixtart and printer groups.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 382 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org