Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#141472 - 2005-06-10 07:47 PM Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Huffinagle Offline
Getting the hang of it

Loc: McMinnville, OR, USA
I have a line in my kixtart script for creating a drive mapping on a server that is not a member of my AD domain. So far it has been working fine, but for some reason it stopped working this morning.
Code:
 	use L: /d
use L: "\\web-svr\resources" /user:web-svr\User1 /password:123Access123

My DNS entries and WINS entries for the server are working properly. Passwords have not changed. The local user account on WEB-SVR is not disabled. I was able to manually map a network drive using the exact information from the script.

Does anyone know if this might be a caching issue or syntax issue? Perhaps there is a better way to map a network drive on a server that is outside and AD domain????

Thanks for any help,

Matthew

Edited by Huffinagle (2005-06-10 09:46 PM)

#141473 - 2005-06-10 07:55 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Perhaps it is an alternate creds issue. Be careful not to "touch" that server with any other creds prior to the mapping. As soon as you touch it, it forges an IPC pipe using those creds, forbidding further access with alternate creds.

Edited by Les (2005-06-11 04:11 PM)

#141474 - 2005-06-10 08:57 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Huffinagle Offline
Getting the hang of it

Great info Les. Thanks
#141475 - 2005-06-10 09:42 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Huffinagle Offline
Getting the hang of it

Solved my problem:

I needed to add quotation marks around my domainname\username. I have a '-' in the real server name. I checked the remote server's event log and found that the characters before the '-' were being passed as the user name, not the entire domainname\username combination.

Phew!!

#141476 - 2005-06-10 10:15 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
But you said it was working fine before this morning... how could that be?

#141477 - 2005-06-11 11:30 AM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
I'm little doubtfull.
and have you tried deleting the ipc$ connectiong?
that is the last connection that keeps you stuck with the user's own default credentials.

download KiXnet

#141478 - 2005-06-13 06:12 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Huffinagle Offline
Getting the hang of it

Quick description: There are three domains DomainA, DomainB, DomainC.
No trust relationships between any of the domains.

My users are in DomainA.
Originally this server was in DomainB.
About 6 months ago the server was moved to DomainC. The logon script was not changed at that time but still worked even though it referenced a user from DomainB.
Last week the script stopped working. No obvious network problems were occuring.
I made the changes illustrated in the posts above and the mapping worked again. This time, however, a user account from the local computer was used instead of Domain based user credentials. Also, QUOTES were added around the domain\username due to a unique character being in the server's name.

#141479 - 2005-06-19 07:31 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Might be time to clean up the different domains. Why three domains with the users in one and the servers in another one?

#141480 - 2005-06-20 05:43 PM Re: Drive Mapping Credentials Question
Huffinagle Offline
Getting the hang of it

Hmm.... Interesting story.

My primary user domain existed before any other domains. Another agency existed with their domain but there was never a reason to share resources. The third domain was created because the idea was that, there would be so many outerlying agencies attaching to the new resource that neither of the existing domains wanted the "alien" presence on their systems. Thus, a third domain was created.

However, the project did not mature as planned and no outside agencies joined the project. So, we reengineered the domain structure and moved the resources into the second domain. The third domain is now dismantled and we have to proper communication between the first and second domains now.

... In a nut shell....

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.064 seconds in which 0.027 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org