Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#140766 - 2006-02-28 01:27 AM Re: BrightStor 11.1 TapeCopy
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Allen forgot he used to work at a Hospital that had to comply as well.

Les, I guess bottom line is that one would sort of need to interpret the law to some degree. I'm no lawyer by any means, but as I recall reading the law it did not specify down to that exact level so I'm thinking your auditor is trying to be tough in this area to satisfy his own policies either by himself or his Company.

If you're management can't or won't fight back on the issue then you don't really have much of a choice in the matter. I know though that from experience if you can't get the auditor to see things your way then I doubt your Management will fight the battle for you unless they can see in BLACK & WHITE the actual cost difference between doing it your way and the auditors way.

#140767 - 2006-02-28 02:50 AM Re: BrightStor 11.1 TapeCopy
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
LOL... I haven't forgotten. Believe me... One of the many reasons I left the hospital was HIPPA... it was bleeding into every part of the operations, and quite frankly it was driving me crazy. But I have not heard of this SOX thing until this evening.
#140768 - 2006-02-28 03:17 AM Re: BrightStor 11.1 TapeCopy
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
In re-reading my post, I made an inaccurate statement:
Quote:

...the physical LTO tape is then read and merged into the catalog DB. All this is then logged to a tpcopyxxxx.log file...

In actuality, the tpcopyxxxx.log file only shows that the merge job was inserted into the job queue. The actual merge job is logged to BrightStor.log, the horking big file that I won't retain two years of data. When I look in the log now, it only goes back six months.

If I am to retain the log results for two years, I need to manually export the specific merge job detail to a separate file that won't get pruned. I don't think I can script that. The same would hold true for an actual test restore except that it would be even more manually intensive.

You would think that with so many companies having to be SOX compliant, that CA would have thought this through. A verify option on the tapecopy command that logged to tpcopyxxxx.log would have been nice.

#140769 - 2006-02-28 05:28 AM Re: BrightStor 11.1 TapeCopy
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Your SOX auditor is a little bit on the over-the-top side. I'll ask our Compliance guys what they think about this.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 557 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org