Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#138964 - 2005-05-01 11:53 PM My children spends to much with the computer
mima Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Jönköping, Sweden
Hi
I think I am not the only one with children spending to much time at the computer. I want to write a script that shows a dialog screen when they logon the Windows XP that says "Do your homework !" and then logoff them. I will trigger on time. All this is not a problem. The problem I got is how to do a logoff fron Windows XP. I found a few things, for example Code:
rundll32.exe shell32.dll, SHExitWindowsEx 0  

but it doesnt work on Xp.
Does anyone have a good suggestion on the logoff stuff ?
If this works out fine you can all get the code and all our kids can be out in the fresh air playing football instead sitting at the computer all day, as we do !

/Mima

#138965 - 2005-05-02 12:45 AM Re: My children spends to much with the computer
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Great idea. I'm starting to get worried about my daughter too. She's spending waaaayyy too much time chatting on MSN, with other kids whose parents prolly feel the same way.
#138966 - 2005-05-02 01:07 AM Re: My children spends to much with the computer
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
What's wrong with using the LogOff() function?

#138967 - 2005-05-02 01:13 AM Re: My children spends to much with the computer
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Actually, most of the folk I know that limit computer access for their kids do so through the ROUTER itself. Setting time limits on certain MAC addresses and the like.
#138968 - 2005-05-02 07:37 AM Re: My children spends to much with the computer
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
As the kids get older and smarter and chat with other friends they will easily undo your script.

$35.00 But well worth the price. I've used it in the past for my kids until they got older and ran off to College.

Many options and very difficult to undo unless you have Admin rights and even then you better be pretty well versed with computers to disable it. Not quite as bad as a root kit, but darn close.

ENUFF

Quote:

Controls who uses the computer and individual programs, when and for how long.

- Limits user's time on Internet, games and chatting.

- Eliminates arguments and frees up time for homework, family or exercise.

- Ensures equal time-share for everyone in a multi-user computer environment.

#138969 - 2005-05-02 10:50 AM Re: My children spends to much with the computer
mima Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Jönköping, Sweden
Thanks all
I'v been writing kix for years, and still I dident know that there was an builtin function called Logoff() !!! Thanks Les.
Shawn, your idee about limit in the router is good, but I dont want them to logon and start games...
I shall look into that software Enuff, but probably that is only in English. I want it in Swedish. My girl is only 7 years and dont understand so much English.
I have a windows domain at home so I can use domain logins where i can put my script. So even if they are local admins they cant get past that login script.

Well, I shall do a test, and will be back with some kind of result.

/Mima

#138970 - 2005-05-02 12:45 PM Re: My children spends to much with the computer
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
The only part they see is a small logon screen. Not much to see or know. Either lets you in or it doesn't. Aside from that interface they don't see it.

Quote:

So even if they are local admins they cant get past that login script

Maybe good enough to keep out a 7 yr old, but not someone a little older with a little knowledge or Google experience

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org