Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#136215 - 2005-03-23 05:03 PM Outlook XP/2003 Exchange configuration
cbrandst Offline
Lurker

I'm trying to use Kent Dyer's guide for setting up Outlook profiles on a new 2003 server. All clients will be either XP or 2003. What I would like to be able to do:

I set up everything accoring to the How To located here:

Kent's How to on Exchange configuration

I followed steps 1,3 and 4. I skipped step 2 since I don't have those clients on my network. I can tell the script is running because I have debug turned on and I can step through it line by line. I can also tell it's populating the profile name because if I delete the profile from the register manually and then log in, when Outlook runs it doesn't ask me for a profile name. If I delete the profile from the registry and just run outlook, it asks for a profile name. But it seems the only thing that is getting created is the profile name. The outlook wizard fires up and asks me for the type of connection (Exchange, POP, etc) and then it asks me for the user name and server name.

I did steps 1,3 and 4 exactly. Nothing more, nothing less. When that didn't work I tried changing the profile.prf file and putting my server name in the HomeServer field. In the past, all I've used KiXtart for is default printer selection and that's very simple. I feel like I'm in over my head with this. Please help dig me out of this hole!

Oh yeah, I also tried just doing "outlook.exe /importprf \\server\share\outlook.prf" since I'm using only Outlook XP/2003, but I couldn't get it to populate the username. There is a document on Microsofts website that says you can't use %username% in the profile.prf file.

Thanks,
CB

#136216 - 2005-03-23 05:09 PM Re: Outlook XP/2003 Exchange configuration
AzzerShaw Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Loc: Cheltenham, England
Quote:

There is a document on Microsofts website that says you can't use %username% in the profile.prf file

Hi,

I was able to include %username% in my prf file i created the other day and it worked a treat.

I did somethin like this

Code:

;----Outlook AutoArchive------
DoAutoArchive=True
AutoArchiveFileName = “c:\Data\%username%.pst”

[Service2]
ConversionProhibited=TRUE
HomeServer=\\server
MailboxName=%username%

Edited by AzzerShaw (2005-03-23 05:11 PM)

#136217 - 2005-03-23 06:13 PM Re: Outlook XP/2003 Exchange configuration
cbrandst Offline
Lurker

It looks like I hade something wrong with my outlook.prf file. I went back and recreated it using the Custom Installation Wizard from the Outlook Resource Kit and it's working now. Now I just have to decide if I want to use one command (outlook.exe /importprf \\server\share\outlook.prf) or the script. I think I'll just use the 1 command since all my clients are Outlook XP/2003. Thanks for the response! It confired the ability to put %username% and got me to really looking at the Outlook.prf.

CB

#136218 - 2005-03-23 06:14 PM Re: Outlook XP/2003 Exchange configuration
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Tigard, OR
Craig,

I just replied to your e-mail to me. Hope this sheds some light as to why or why you would not want to use my script.

Thanks,

Kent

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org