Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#11669 - 2001-08-24 03:14 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Anonymous
Unregistered

NTDOC, I did look over those links you posted and they were quite interesting. But since those discussions seemed to be between experts at a higher level than I, I couldn't entirely follow it/absorb it. I do plan on printing them out and rereading them at my leisure. But right now I'm trying to get this thing to just work.

BSTYLES--thanks for the info on ScriptLogic. I'll bookmark it for reference, but there's a fee for it involved, I really can't go that route right now.

NTDOC---Oooooh! Ok, so that for /f "Tokens=*"...etc. line wasn't a Kixtart script step, but something to run in a batch file to turn unshared home directories into shares? Duh! It makes sense to me now.

Maybe I should back up a step here and explain myself clearer. NTDOC, would you say the following statement is true?

"THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE A SCRIPT WITH KIXTART THAT WILL MAP A W9X CLIENT TO HIS HOME DIRECTORY UNLESS THAT DIRECTORY IS A SHARE (OR YOU BUY A 3RD PARTY UTILITY)."

If the above is true then, yes, I have been able to use Kixtart to map a user's home directory that is shared. From everyone's help on here it seems that what I needed to do was use the "USE H: /DELETE" command BEFORE using "USE H: @HOMESHR" command.

However, if it is possible to map to a user's home directory that is NOT a share (but a folder below a share), then I'm still at a loss as to how to do it.

#11670 - 2001-08-24 03:28 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Bill, Bill, Bill - you right man...

I made a false statement..

I have been sharing my folders for 5 years now, so never tried it your way. I just did it and it does work. As for the Root Share, yes it does need one.

i.e. No share, no connect.

\\MYSERVER\USERS shared, access okay
\\MYSERVER no share... no access for any OS.
so might as well be
\\MYSERVER\%USERNAME$% as the shared
half dozen of one/ half dozen of the other

Or you could be the Admin and use
\\MYSERVER\D$\USERS\user - and that would work also for an Admin but not a regular user.

If your code is working then you must be sharing the USERS main folder - True?
Which would mean if U: was mapped to home, you would have something like:
U: user on SERVER\USERS
and mine would look like
U: user$ on SERVER

If not, then hey I'm on another acid trip and I'll catch you when I get back...

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: NTDOC ]

#11671 - 2001-08-24 03:35 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
bleonard Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Loc: Chicago, IL
Thanks for confirming! I'd say you owe me but I've borrowed to much of your coding handiwork...

As for my code, all users drives are under my own structure - \\server\folder\userid
The subfolder is shared as something other than 'users'.

Bill

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: bleonard ]

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: bleonard ]

#11672 - 2001-08-24 03:37 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

I confirmed it. MS and you are right. See my example in the previous reply.

You must map a folder... so for our case, it is just as easy to map a hidden share, but your could do as your example and map USERS and then use a variable for the actual user account name.

#11673 - 2001-08-24 03:40 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
bleonard Offline
Seasoned Scripter

I've been working on this issue because I am rolling out the new login script and I want to remove all the server shares. Once fully operational in our offices I plan on removing all the hidden shares (just as you have) and making things a little more manageable.

Bill

#11674 - 2001-08-24 03:42 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

Bill do you have MSN or AOL chat?

What is your account.

magicmkrdl is my AOL

#11675 - 2001-08-24 05:37 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
bleonard Offline
Seasoned Scripter

NTDOC -
Sorry, no chatting for me. We strictly limit its usage, and before your query I have never had a need for it.

Also, did you see this tidbit shared by pber today - was news to me but very useful.'
http://kixtart.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002994

Bill

#11676 - 2001-08-24 08:18 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

Yes, I saw it and was going to reply, but did not. So I will here.

Bill, Bill, Bill.... ego has to now drop down a notch or two. This is normal Windows behavior and known for many years now by many Administrators. this works in most (not all) Windows applications and applets.

But, thats okay... I guess I'm old too

Yeah, I usually don't chat either, but Kyder was able to help me get some stuff done on the fly using chat... Kinda of made me change my mind a little

#11677 - 2001-08-24 09:49 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok man.

I translate the portuguese parts of the script for you.
Thank's to believe in my solution.

If you have any doubts about the code, tell me and i explain for you.

[s]

code:

;Unmapping User Home Área
? "U:"
Use u: /delete /persistent
If @ERROR = 0
" - OK"
Else
" - Error: @error"
EndIf
; I use the /persistent option to have shure about the integrity of drive map.

? "Mapping @USERID HOME AREA in @WKSTA Workstation"
If (( @WKSTA = "Sultsbase1" ) Or ( @WKSTA = "Sultsbase2") Or ( @WKSTA = "Sultsbase3"))
? "You are connecting to Terminal Server."
? "Your Home Area will be mapped by another process."

Else

Use u: "\\sulfs00\@USERID$$"
If @ERROR = 0
" - OK"
Else
" - Erro: @error"
Endif

EndIf
; In this part i use the following logic. If the user is connecting in the Citrix Metaframe Servers, the User Home Area will be mapped by another batch file, in all other cases the Kix script will map the User Home Area. This script works very well in my entire network.

Ok, that's it.

It's very simple, but work's well.

[s]

VeNoM

#11678 - 2001-08-24 09:49 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
bleonard Offline
Seasoned Scripter

NTDOC -
Sorry to disappoint - ego still big as all Montana

Bill

#11679 - 2001-08-24 10:24 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

Oh! by the way --- Omegawulf are you still with us?

Did/does this answer your questions and or did you get it to work?

and who is Montanna?

I'll get back to my trip now...

#11680 - 2001-08-25 01:59 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Anonymous
Unregistered

NTDOC--I'm still mulling over the thread you guys got going and it's quite interesting.

As far as getting the home directory to map, I've only been able to get it to work when the home folder is shared. If I'm understanding everyone correctly, it doesn't matter if I map to \\SERVER\BSMITH or \\SERVER\USERS\BSMITH or \\SERVER\USERS\ACCOUNTING\THIRD_ROW\LEFT_SIDE\CUBE_TWO\BSMITH, I will NEVER be able to get the user's H: drive to map to BSMITH unless the folder BSMITH on the server is shared. If BSMITH is not a share, then I cannot map to it on W9x clients.

All this is probably moot now, anyway. I was trying to learn kixtart to get this job I wanted. But I just found out today that the job opening at the company I'm working at (I'm a contractor) was given to someone else. Someone with less experience than me(and I don't have that much!). Someone with far less training. With no certification. Someone with bigger boobs. Oh, and it was someone I TRAINED.

#11681 - 2001-08-25 02:44 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
bleonard Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Omega -
Sorry about the job - but this is still good info to take with you.

Your understanding is not entirely correct.

For Win9x clients - you must share a 'root' folder that houses all the user home directories directly below this shared folder.

Next, under User Manager you must define a drive and path under Profile Manager for the Win9x clients that points to this share.

For example,
Server = Server1
Share dir = C:\Home
Share name = HOME$
User id = Omega
User home dir = \\Server1\Home$\%USERNAME% --> a/k/a Server1: C:\Home\Omega

Create share HOME$ --> C:\Home
Edit OMEGA's Profile --> H:=\\Server1\Home$\%USERNAME% --> this will create sub-dir 'Omega' on Server1 under C:\Home
Execute commands:
NET USE H: /DEL --> confirm drive not in use
NET USE H: /HOME --> map drive to home share

You will find 'H:' maps properly to the sub dir.

Bill

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: bleonard ]

#11682 - 2001-08-25 03:06 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

Well, big boobs are a STRONG selling point. Just ask the TV/Movies that have it plastered on almost every show you see.

SEX sells...

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: NTDOC ]

#11683 - 2001-08-25 07:43 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill,
That was very well put and explained. However, my problem is that I've tried that and it doesn't work. What you've described is my set up that I had started with before I posted here.

I originally had the home directory set up that way. That is, the location is C:\users\bsmith on server SERVER. USERS was shared as "users," and BSMITH was not shared. In Active Directory Users and Computers (since this is a W2K server), on BSmith's profile page, I had set his home folder to be: \\server\users\%username%

But when I use NET USE U: /home, I get a mapping to USERS and not the BSMITH subfolder. I checked to see that USERS was shared and permissions were correct. It was. I checked to make sure that the BSMITH subfolder was there and that permissions were correct. They were.

So what I'm getting is a mapping to the share and not the subfolder below the share.

#11684 - 2001-08-25 08:04 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
The is the correct behavior. Windows NT can only map a drive to a share, not to a folder below a share. You will need to use SUBST for this altough it is not recommended. If you want your user to have a drive mapped to his folder, then the folder MUST be shared!

E.G.:

\\SERVER\USER1
\\SERVER\USER2
\\SERVER\USER3

I would even use hidden shares (append a $ after the sharename)

Jens

#11685 - 2001-08-26 12:34 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

Bill, I think I'm back from my ACID Trip now

After some further testing I have to rescind my previous statement about your being correct.

For Windows NT yes the SUBST does work.
For Windows 2000 - NET USE \\anyserver\anypath will map root there.
For Windows 9x - It MUST be shared to get ROOT mapping

i.e. on a Windows 9x
C:\>net use p: /home
Drive p: is now connected to \\sm-cag-fp03\users Your home directory is
p:\fmlast.

p:
p:\users
cd fmlast
p:\fmlast

This is what you get when this is in User Manager:
\\sm-cag-fp03\users\fmlast

The %username% is used for creating or editing multiple entries in User Manager
it does not map a Windows NT or 9X system to this folder unless it is shared.

USING \\SM-CAG-FP03\USERS\%USERNAME% while these three users are selected in User Manager
will give you the follwing results.
FMLAST1
FMLAST2
FMLAST3

\\SM-CAG-FP03\USERS\FMLAST1
\\SM-CAG-FP03\USERS\FMLAST2
\\SM-CAG-FP03\USERS\FMLAST3

But only a Windows 2000 will map directly there without Sharing FMLAST1 FMLAST2 & FMLAST3

Omegawolf,

Yes you can do \\SERVER\USERS\ACCOUNTING\THIRD_ROW\LEFT_SIDE\CUBE_TWO\BSMITH

For it to work you need to do this:

Windows 2000 = No entry needed if placed in User Manager as \\SERVER\USERS\ACCOUNTING\THIRD_ROW\LEFT_SIDE\CUBE_TWO\BSMITH

Windows NT 4.0 = SUBST H: \\SERVER\USERS\ACCOUNTING\THIRD_ROW\LEFT_SIDE\CUBE_TWO\BSMITH

Windows 9x = Will not work you must SHARE BSMITH as either BSMITH or BSMITH$ (or a name of your choosing), but
it must be shared. Otherwise if you only shared CUBE_TWO and used
NET USE H: \\SERVER\CUBE_TWO\BSMITH When you map you will be in CUBE_TWO and need to change directory to BSMITH

So, unless your working Magic Bill -- I have tested this till I'm blue in the face and I can Not get it to map as you say.

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: NTDOC ]

#11686 - 2001-08-26 05:26 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
bleonard Offline
Seasoned Scripter

NTDOC -
Well, ego getting smaller than Monaco...

My tests have all been at the command prompt. When executed there, and then you change drives to the newly mapped drive, you are immediately placed into the users home dir. However, I now understand that within the Windows GUI (Explorer, etc.) this view actually remains at the share level 1 folder up. I do not have an explanation for this discrepency, except to blame MS for all our problems.

Okay - pile on Bill - Gates or Leonard, whichever you prefer.

"Crow-eating-boy for the Northern Hemisphere"

#11687 - 2001-08-26 11:14 AM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Administrator

No big deal Bill...

Between the two of us though I think this is about the longest thread I have seen on this board.

I nominated you for help on another post where you can make it up.

Great to finally get this ironed out.

Cheers

#11688 - 2001-08-26 06:00 PM Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MAPPING HOME DIRECTORY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, now that we got that figured out, I'd like to thank everyone for their help, especially Bill and NTDOC. Although I've learned that I have a lot more to learn, it's good to see that I was doing everything correctly and the problem had more to do with a limitation with MS W9x.

I'll probably post again sometime soon if I can't figure out why my Kixtart script won't even run at all on my W2K client (oddly, it'll run fine if I log onto the W2K server Kixtart resides on--but minimized--but won't run at all from a W2K Pro on the network). I think that has something to do with W2K Group Policies, so I'll check that first.

BILL--I see you reside in the Chicagoland area. Would you happen to know anyone who'd be willing to hire an inexperienced but willing to learn jr. level NT Admin? I think I mentioned before that I was passed over for a job opening I wanted where I work for someone less qualified (and did I mentioned it was I who trained this person??). Just thought I'd ask...
-OMEGA

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.068 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org