Page 5 of 15 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#115000 - 2004-09-10 04:43 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Ohio
To all,

Kixtarter 1.97 Beta has been released. A full description of the changes and the download is available here: http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/beta/. You must have Windows 98 or higher and the Microsoft Dot Net v1.1 Framework for it to run correctly. Here are the major changes:

• The old coloring routine has been scraped for one that colors as you type. Coloring is instantaneous while writing a script. Also strings (single and double quoted) are now highlighted.
  • The debug has been modified to start and stop running quicker.
  • The application itself is now written under the Dot Net Framework, making the install file and support files much smaller (as they use the framework instead of installing additional files which was causing issues with the old version (i.e. MSINet.ocx issues)).
  • Misc program enhancements and fixes to make it run faster.

If you test out the new version please let me know what you think. The old software, version 1.89, will no longer be updated from this point on. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, concerns, etc please let me know. Thanks!

Allan.

#115001 - 2004-09-10 04:51 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
Should one do a full uninstall or does this go in as an update?

#115002 - 2004-09-10 07:17 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

It will install to another directory so as long as you do the "Reset to defaults" under "Settings" in your old version, or manually delete the Kixtarter key under "HKey_Current_Users" you should be able to install side by side, and technically other then having to resize the forms, run both version when you want. The main difference is VB6 did sizes in twips, which was a odd number like a maximized window at 1024x768 in twips was 14000x10000 or something. VB.Net uses pixels, so if you run the beta and close it, then run the old version the size will be real small.

Allan.

#115003 - 2004-09-16 04:31 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

To all,

A new beta, 1.99, is up. This one fixes a whole lot of bugs in the last beta, speeds up debugging to the same speed as KiXtart would normally run at, and a couple little changes in the coloring routine to make it faster also. The entire debug section has been gutted and replaced by a .Net equivelent, which means no more "Debug Helper" window...its a call to the system just like Kix32 or WKix32 would be. Also the help file and updater are included in this one. The updater is functional but will not be used until the final version is out and I make a couple more changes. But you can see how it will operate.

Please download it and let me know what you think, I've gotten lots of downloads of the last beta but very few comments. So if you do download and try it please shoot me a email or fill out the form on the site. Thanks!

Allan.

Beta site: http://www.gardinertrane.com/kixtarter/beta

#115004 - 2004-09-16 05:04 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
will the next beta be 1.100?

download KiXnet

#115005 - 2004-09-16 07:27 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Hopefully if all goes well any remaining bugs will be fixed and I'll do an actual release of 2.00. Then all updates will use the updater again like before. Hopefully. If too many bugs come up I'll put out a 1.99.1 or something.

Allan.

#115006 - 2004-09-16 08:22 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
KiX Master Guru

ja, it was ment to be sarcastic
back to the version numbering you have.
the same weirdness that ruud has been "commented" about too.

download KiXnet

#115007 - 2004-09-19 11:11 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
An architectural switch to .NET would justify a full version increase.

#115008 - 2004-09-20 12:29 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
KiX Master Guru

yep, but his 1.9* betas already have that stuff.
basically, with this style of version numbering, version 1.99 and 2.00 have nothing changed even though the version number says it's totally different version.

download KiXnet

#115009 - 2004-09-20 05:59 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Quote:

An architectural switch to .NET would justify a full version increase.

True, but I'm of the programming logic that says you do your versioning based on percent of program change. So a 1.98 to 1.99 change means 1% of your programming has ben modified, add, deleted, etc. There wasn't a lot that really "changed" from the 1.8* to 1.9*, menu structurs, a lot of the programming, etc stayed and I've been modifying since. In retrospect I should have started the betas with a new 0.* version under .Net and moved form there but I decided since I upgraded the code and didn't start fresh to just continue numbering. Speaking of the next beta will be done this week....fixed a bunch of reported bugs.

On another subject what do you guys think of only coloring decleared variables instead of all variables?

Allan.

#115010 - 2004-09-21 01:58 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
By that account, how did we ever end up with Microsoft Windows 5.1 ? ;-)

#115011 - 2004-09-21 09:20 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Quote:

On another subject what do you guys think of only coloring decleared variables instead of all variables?

Allan.

Allan,

that would be a feature I wish to have for example in UEdit since a long time now

But what would that mean ... If using Explicit it should be simple (All vars declared by DIM and GLOBAL), but what when I insist on implicit declaration ?
Then it had to be colored if the implicit declaration is valid

If you manage to implement this, consider me as a happy user

#115012 - 2004-09-21 09:44 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
Quote:

Interesting idea. You won't be able to catch all of them - GLOBALs declared in a parent script for instance.

You will also have to be very aware of scope. Take the following example:
Code:
If "FOO" <> "BAR"
Dim $s
$s="FOO NOT BAR"
End If
"Answer: "+$s

In this case the $s inside the IF construct is declared, the one outside is not.

Variables may also be declared later in the script from the point that they are used, so you cannot rely on the variable declaration being at a physically earlier point in the script.

As an even more useful solution, perhaps you could offer:
  • Jump to next undeclared variable
  • Automatically declare undeclared variables here
  • A meta-tag to ignore variables which are falsely detected as undeclared.

#115013 - 2004-09-22 08:23 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

To all,

The next beta, 1.99.3, is up. I added in label and variable coloring (variables will color like the used to...theres no other easy way) and fixed all bugs that have been emailed to me. Speaking of, thank-you to those that have been sending in bugs and comments, there extremely helpful. Theres a couple very minor issues left to be worked out (see the website) but hopefully within the next couple weeks I will have an actual release of 2.00. Again please keep the feedback coming...

Allan.

#115014 - 2004-09-24 04:41 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Quote:

Interesting idea. You won't be able to catch all of them - GLOBALs declared in a parent script for instance.

You will also have to be very aware of scope.

The more I thought of this the worse of an idea it became. I really would hate to muck up scripts with meta tags, which other then having a seperate "declared variables" window or searching for every dim/global, is what I would have had to have. Speaking of can someone with the 1.99.3 beta verify I am correctly coloring variables? Our company is still running KiXtart 3.45 and our scripts are relativly simple so I've relied heavily on the 3.63 and 4.21 manuals for everything which may cause more complicated scripts coloring to be off.

Also what does everyone think about the new coloring routine: speed, options (personally I like and use the italicized comments...), etc. Or if your running it have you had to do a manual recolor for any reason? I've been putting everything through its paces trying to track down bugs and there getting less and less frequent, the coloring routine is the highlight of the program though so I want to make extra sure its solid.

Allan.

#115015 - 2004-10-04 03:23 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Well, my website logs show a bunch of downloads of th beta and I haven't gotten any bug reports in a week so I guess thats a good sign. I'm going to put out a small update available through the updater in the next couple days. If anyone has any issues downlaoding the update with the beta updater let me know.

Allan.

#115016 - 2004-10-14 02:19 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Another small update is available for the beta through the updater. Fixed a couple little bugs and added a couple things. Look for a release by the end of the month.

Allan.

#115017 - 2004-10-14 02:25 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
DaoGakhann Offline
Fresh Scripter

Major Difference Between the 1.85 and the future 1.90?
Labels Colorized will be very UseFull

#115018 - 2004-10-20 05:26 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

To all,

I've released Kixtarter 2.00. I've gotten 0 bug reports since 1.99.3 and according to my website stats there were almost 100 downloads of the betas so I think thats a real good sign there wasn't very many bugs left. The 1.x series is officially no longer supported, however I did repackage the last updated version, 1.89, and posted it on the website for anyone still running Windows 95 or a slower computer. Otherwise please check out the website for the new one and as usual if you have any comments or feedback please let me know. Thanks.

Allan

#115019 - 2004-11-12 03:01 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

I've had one bug report that I can't duplicate and every other problem has been fixed by deleteing the registry setttings, uninstalling and reinstalling. Most are caused by the old settings from the 1.x series. So it sounds like the new .Net version is a lot mroe stable then the old one. I'm still working on keeping the debug window open after a KiXtart error or searching the results to find the error but I'm not having much luck. Thanks for the feedback from everyone on the program.

Allan.

Page 5 of 15 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 339 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.081 seconds in which 0.028 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org