Administrator

Loc: CA
Yeah it can, but I don't find CMD.EXE to good at editing script files though
#115121 - 2006-01-20 03:20 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

Loc: Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
Doc,

TextPad works just like Ultraedit but the old IBM mainframe SFP editor (& its later relative ISPF) worked by defining blocks through the use of block markers then you could move the block, replicate it, hide it, delete it. The hide block command was great for temporarly blocking and hiding fixed code blocks. Multiple indented do/end blocks were much easier to figure out. Check out the FAQ section on this page.

Dave's I love SPF page

#115122 - 2006-01-23 01:35 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Wizard Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Bristol, England
Is it just me or is there no option to show/hide line numbers.? Line numbers is a really important feature for me.

Great app btw.
I am looking for a replacement for Kixscript Editor

Thanks

vb | kix | batch | html | cfm | js | english

#115123 - 2006-01-23 02:44 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
Wizard,

Quote:

Quote:

Allen,

Just a small suggestion.
Line numbering would be nice. Maybe an option to turn it on and off in the Tools-->Options section because not everyone is a fan of line numbering I guess.
Do you see any possibilities to incorporate this?

Maybe. The couple examples I've seen in VB.Net on doing this were all different, and all seemed overly complicated. If I can find a decent, simple, freeware example maybe I'll try to impliment it.

Not (yet) implemented.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#115124 - 2006-01-31 04:37 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

Allan,

Small request if possible.

The "old" kixscript editor by iTripoli has an option to add some lines at the top of the scipt when it gets saved.
These lines look like this:

Quote:

;===========================================================================
;**** Last Modified on [date] at [time] by [windows username goes here] ****
;===========================================================================

Would be nice to know who edited the scritp and when. Not a biggie, when possible and if there is time. Been using kixtarter for some time now and like it a lot. Keep up the good work!

Would you overwrite the old comments or would you add an additional line at the begining? I've stayed away from stuff like this because I didn't want to start messing up code with junk (comments just for my program) but I could probably make this a option.

Quote:

Editor coplains about lack of registyr access rights when run under regular user sccount in windows xP SP1
(Error message clipped)
Program then starts up and seems to usable.

I can take a look at my reg reading blocks and see about ignoring those errors. On a similiar note if you go into Options for the same user then do a Save do you get the error again?

Quote:

Is it just me or is there no option to show/hide line numbers.? Line numbers is a really important feature for me.

No, not yet and not in the forseeable future. Unless someone wants to send me a custom RichTextEdit control from VB 03 or 05 with only this feature added and no other modifications.

-Allan.

#115125 - 2006-02-01 09:27 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Quote:

Would you overwrite the old comments or would you add an additional line at the begining? I've stayed away from stuff like this because I didn't want to start messing up code with junk (comments just for my program) but I could probably make this a option.

The old editor overwrites his own comments. Don't know how they did this. The comments one can add when starting a new script in kixtarter are switched off in my case but if possible it could be in that part of the script.
In fact this is a thing we should educate our people in so they will add the name of the person who edited it and they date they did this by default but old habits are hard to change.
Not a biggie but if you find time and a way to do this it would be nice.

#115126 - 2006-02-01 01:58 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
think ase has this feature too.
but to add it in kixtarter, I'd do it properly, like have date macros, so instead of telling in the comments the first date you wrote to the script or the last, it would know, if wanted, all the edited dates.
or just creation date and last edited.
tbh, this kinda script comment is not that easy and will suck a lot of time to get done properly.

download KiXnet

#115127 - 2006-02-02 09:01 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Quote:

think ase has this feature too.
but to add it in kixtarter, I'd do it properly, like have date macros, so instead of telling in the comments the first date you wrote to the script or the last, it would know, if wanted, all the edited dates.
or just creation date and last edited.
tbh, this kinda script comment is not that easy and will suck a lot of time to get done properly.

If I were to do something like this I would want to just put a comment block at the begining that was coded with this type of information:

; DO NOT DELETE - p98f4r2N9nmy68n87cfom0s347p8wsvmye5no8w3mes4t5cr4sd58765d5f3s6f
; DO NOT DELETE - netbr5es862q3n96nt5eoihwsaitve5bfkjdbsjhzvng4alaq3j43goao4ffx4s17sbb3
;*************************************************************************
; Script Name: Test Script

And then you'd have a File -> Properties option whenever this stuff was in a file that would give you creation date, last modified, by who, etc, etc. Also a option to keep track of each edit (although the section may get kinda big with each edit. At least thats how I would want to do it....would that make sense? It of course would be a option that can be turned on and off in the options screen.

-Allan.

#115128 - 2006-02-02 09:12 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
I think that would add unreasonable BLOAT to the editor. There are a ton of version control tools out there if you really need assistance with version control of your scripts.

Many are even free.

#115129 - 2006-02-02 09:20 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Quote:

I think that would add unreasonable BLOAT to the editor. There are a ton of version control tools out there if you really need assistance with version control of your scripts.

It wouldn't add too much in to the editor itself, the additional code would be pretty minimal and the user would choose whether to enable this feature or not. Honestly I wouldn't mind having something like this, either the above example or something simplier like Mart's version where it would just update a single line on each save. Any other opinions?

#115130 - 2006-02-03 11:56 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Quote:

Also a option to keep track of each edit (although the section may get kinda big with each edit.

Just the last edit date/time and who did this (windows logon name?) would be nice. Creation date is of less importance imho.

Quote:

I think that would add unreasonable BLOAT to the editor.

Nobody wants bloat but adding the last edited date/time and who did this would be really nice.
Keeping track of who did what and when would be a case of adding a comment section to the script by the person doing the change. The editor should not have to do this. Educating everybody doing stuff with the company scripts to add a line containing the date/time, username and what they did would be the way to go. No need to add a zillion lines off code that slows down the editor.

#115131 - 2006-02-22 03:41 AM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

The more I think about this the more I like the idea. I haven't had much time to work on it but once I do I will add a "version" option. If you want to turn it on you can, if not you don't have to. I'll probably have two main options: keep track of last edit or keep track of last x edits. Then you'll have a option for saving the versioning in the file as comments (default) or into a seperate version file (either in the Kixtarter directory or in the scripts directory like *.kvr...I'll see whats easiest) and also a option to use the default author name you assign in Kixtarter or use the current logged in users name. A new menu item under File will be Properties and will look for this versioning info when selected to give you a overview of file versioning. If your not using versioning it will still give you created, modified, accessed, and general file details like a normal right click -> properties would give you. Sound good?

-Allan.

Edited by APDynes (2006-02-22 03:43 AM)

#115132 - 2006-02-22 12:23 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Quote:

Sound good?

Sounds great.

#115133 - 2006-02-24 01:24 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Björn Offline
Korg Regular

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden.
Now, any plans to support .net framework 2 ?

#115134 - 2006-03-06 06:14 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Quote:

Now, any plans to support .net framework 2 ?

Yes...I've been slowly preparing for it. In fact the only reason 3.25 was released is because I went through a 03 -> 05 check and did some optimizations of the 03 code so I wouldn't be tripped up converting (as a bonus it made things slightly faster). But I can't see any real advantages of converting over just yet. The installer is a little nicer...I can do things like change the default install type to "Everyone" instead of "Just Me" and little things like that but I don't think htats worth making everyone upgrade there .Net framework. I mean there are a lot of little advantages on the code side but very little that the user would benifit from so its hard to justify.

-Allan.

#115135 - 2006-03-14 07:39 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Kixtarter 3.50 BETA has been released. I've made a bunch of changes per the FXCop program and .Net best practices. Also added a simple versioning component. Its definately not great but its a decent start. Please submit ANY bugs or feedback using the website (Help -> Submit Bug or Freeback).

-Allan.

#115136 - 2006-03-27 03:16 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

3.54 Beta released. More changes per FXCop and a couple bug fixes in the versioning routine. 3.60 should be out soon as a final/non-beta.

-Allan.

#115137 - 2006-04-03 07:41 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Quote:

3.60 should be out soon as a final/non-beta.

3.60 has been released. This is a Release level build and will most likely be the last release of the 3.x series. After a short break from this program I plan on focusing my efforts on version 4.x using Visual Studio 2005 and .Net v2. The source code for v3.60 may also be opened if I have enough request for it.

-Allan

#115138 - 2006-05-10 04:40 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
ADynes Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Just a update for those that are interested. 4.x is going to take longer then expected. Since the program has gone through a couple "upgrades" already and since there have been so many changes between VB6 where it started and VB.Net 2005 I've decided I may just do a complete rewrite. It would be smaller, faster, and more efficient this way but would also take a lot longer. I'm just not sure how many people are out there actually using it. My web logs show downloads of the install up over a thousand and downloads of the updates closely match that but I've gotten very little feedback and even less donations (BTW - I plan on using any donations recieved to first pay off my hosting for another year then to buy a set of XP style icons and png's). Are you guys using it. Do you like how it works, are there things that should be changed?

-Allan

#115139 - 2006-05-10 05:07 PM Re: Kixtarter - KiXtart Script Editor
Gargoyle Offline
MM club member

Loc: Valley of the Sun (Arizona, US...
I use this all of the time. Their are only two features that I would like to see added to the current release, one would be the support of multiple files in the same session and the other would be intellesense (sp). I know that the second is hard to implement, but that is what I would like.

Page 11 of 15 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.152 seconds in which 0.103 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org