Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1103 - 1999-12-06 09:58 AM Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

our network has recently changed over to Windows NT workstations. As a result we needed a logon script to map and deal with everything correctly. Downloaded Kixtart and wrote logon script. Specified in User profiles on the server Kix32.exe and previous to that another logon batch file. However they never seem to get executed. I do not even get an error messege. What ever is specified does not run. I have tried putting these files in both the Netlogon directory and in the WinNT\System32\repl\export\scripts they still do not run. The shares on both of these directories are set up as Everyone (Full). Any ideas why these are not executing and how to solve it.
#1104 - 1999-12-06 11:24 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Dwayne,

First, let me restate a few things I read from your post. Please clarify where wrong. All of your workstations are WinNT. You have at least one NT server. You have put kix32.exe in \winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts and have put "kix32.exe" in the logon script name for each user.

Second, is your kix script also in the same directory? Have you told the system the name of the script? After logging in to a workstation, can you open a command prompt; connect to the netlogon share and try to manually run the script? Have you tried single stepping through the script? Do you have more than one domain controller? If so, is kix loaded on them all?

Answer those questions and we'll be better able to help you.

------------------
Regards,

Brad
Consultant
Net InfraStructure, Inc

#1105 - 1999-12-06 11:34 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

Loc: Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
Are you replicating your netlogon directory to your BDC?

#1106 - 1999-12-06 05:42 PM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks,

Encounterd this problem before.
Just like Brad proposed, place kix32.exe and your kix script(s) in the \winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts directory on your server. However the logon script should be a
command batch file (logon.cmd). This is the file you specify in the profile section of the Usermanager for domain.
I use a cmd-file with the following contents:

@echo off
start /min /realtime %logonserver%\netlogon\kix32.exe %logonserver%\netlogon\logon.kix

This should do the trick. At least it did for me.

If you have any questions and/or remarks, please let me know.

Greetings,

Fabian.

#1107 - 1999-12-07 09:39 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brad,
Thanks for the reply. In confirmation to the questions that you posed yesterday the answers are. All the workstations are NT apart from a couple that i am not to bothered about. We have 3 NT servers. I have put "Kix32.exe" in the logon script name for each user. The Kix script is in the same directory. Do not believe that i have told the system the name of the script. How do i do that? If i log onto an individual workstation and open a commmand prompt and go to the Netlogon share i can open the "Kix32.exe", but then i get an error message saying unable to locate Kixtart.kix. This is a seperate problem i think. At present at logon i am not getting anything. I can single step throught the script and it seems to be fine. There is however a BDC and i have not at present loaded this on to allt eh servers. I hope this is more use than the posting from yesterday.

Thanks,

Dwayne

#1108 - 1999-12-07 10:10 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

If you don't supply a script name the default name is "kixtart.kix" so when you failed to give a script name it went looking for the default which it could not find. Thus the message.

After reading your notes, I think you would gain significantly from a quick reading of the latest kix manual. (The maunal is not that big or challanging. I found I could read it at home in 1 evening.) Your questions show you have some fundamental misunderstandings of the workings of kixtart. You will save yourself many days (maybe weeks) of pain by doing a little prior preparation before you start writing your logon scripts. This suggestion is not a brush off just a suggestion that I think will save you a lot of work.

PS. If you have any BDCs you should replicate your netlogon share from the PDC to the BDCs. This is because some clients may use the BDC for logging in and the scripts need to be on that server also.

#1109 - 1999-12-07 11:48 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Dwayne,

Ask Jack pointed out, reading the manual helps a lot. I'll tell you a few of the things that have worked for me over the years.

If you have multiple domain controllers, get directory replication working and put your master copy of kix and your kix script in the export directory. This will make sure everyone has a copy. Since you only have NT clients, you only need to put in kix32.exe and your script.

Over the years I've had many customers ask, "What is this kix32 thing I see when starting up?" In order to avoid a lot of these, I usually rename kix32.exe to netlogon.exe. For some reason most people seem to have less of a problem seeing "Netlogon" on the top of the command window then "Kix32." This is not needed for kixtart to work!

In the user manager for domains, make sure you specify the name of your startup batch file for each user. Put the batch file in the export directory (assuming you have directory replication working) and make sure it has:

@Echo off
%0\..\kix32 logon.kix

or whatever the name of your logon script is.

You should now be able to logon and the kix script should run. If not, open a command window. Map to the netlogon share (use z: \\pdc\netlogon). Do a dir on z and make sure all of the file are there. If so, run the batch file. It should start kixtart and run your script.

Another thing I usually do is create a user called kixtest with its own kix script and batch file. I test new script commands here, and then move it over to the production script. I put a /d in the batch file for kixtest so that the script is run in single step mode. You might consider trying something similar.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Regards,

Brad
Consultant
Net InfraStructure, Inc

#1110 - 1999-12-07 04:47 PM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

The problem, I've encountered this before. And the problem you all are making this a little more difficult then it really is. =) I think:

Windows NT Workstation does not map NETLOGON as Z: drive temporarily like WIN9X does, this is where the problem is probrably occuring. Just make sure that in your profile login script, the batch file that you are running, YES it can be a batch file it doesn't have to be a CMD file, make sure that you specify the logon server.. for example.. when you run the logon script from the batch file it should read:

\\rsi_phx\netlogon\kix32.exe test.kix

This should solve your problem.
If not, feel free to email me directly I'll try to help you out with it.
ccanevit@rodeer.com

#1111 - 1999-12-07 05:11 PM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

ccanevit,

From Dawyne's description of his problem, it appears that his difficulty is he is using "kix32.exe" (with no kix file as a parameter) as his logon script in the user profile in the user manager. This is an acceptable approach if he adds the the kix script name as a parameter. My prefered method is what you suggest - call a batch script - which in turn calls the kix script.

If I understand his comments, I do not think what he is doing will work with win95 or NT clients.

#1112 - 1999-12-08 12:17 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks,

Because I feel a bit igored regarding my previuos post, I will try again.

Place Kix32.exe, a logon.kix and a logon.cmd in the \winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts directory. Why a .cmd file instead of a .bat file. .cmd is associated with cmd.exe a 32bit appl. .bat is associated with command.com, a 16bit appl. which usses the Windows NT Win16 Application Launcher (wowexec.exe). CMD.exe is faster and more secure (separate memmory space, etc.).

The logon.cmd (or whatever.cmd) should contain the following two lines.
@echo off
start /min /realtime %logonserver%\netlogon\kix32.exe %logonserver%\netlogon\logon.kix

The command start /min /realtime, causes to directly minimize the DOS-box and request a realtime system thread. The %logonserver% is your current logonserver (PDC or one of the BDC's).

For logon on to a WinNT domain with a WinNT workstation, you do not have to mount any netlogon-shares what so ever.

I hope this will get notice, this time.

SeeYa,

Fabian.

#1113 - 1999-12-08 09:12 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there,

I read that you give everyone full access on the netlogon share?

Why I'm telling this....

Several months ago a company hired me in to solve a virus problem.

What happened….

A new virus that wasn't recognised with the virus scanner infected Kix32.exe.
By executing the login script al workstations (several hundreds)get infected.

So never (including the domain_admins) give write access on the netlogon share.
Give only read access to everyone and when you want to change anything do it in
\\nameserver\admin$\system32\repl\import\scripts
or when replication is on
\\nameserver\admin$\system32\repl\export\scripts.

Friendly yours,

Olly V

------------------

#1114 - 1999-12-19 02:41 AM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not clear if you're still having a problem, or about your level of security. Check something simple - do your users have read access to system32\cmd.exe? If not, no command-line based script will execute, nad you won't get any error messages. The script will appear to work perfectly for the developer but won't execute at all for the users. I have caught myself with this one twice! Good luck.
#1115 - 1999-12-20 08:18 PM Re: Logon script no execution problem win NT
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been nailed on the NTFS file permissions one before...

Since everyone else is butting in, I just couldn't resist putting in my two cents! I think native NT directory replication bites the big one! Ever tried using it between lots of multiple domains? What a mess :P
Personally I like robocopy with the /mirror switch and force the updates whenever I pull the trigger. (That way you can also insert netlogon service stops and restarts inbetween domain controllers) How many of you have seen damaged workstations from someone logging on while their scripts are in the middle of copying? :p

But hey, I wouldn't want to stray from the topic.

------------------
K Torkelson
Sys Admin Analyst
ktorkelson@providentfunding.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.06 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org