(Seasoned Scripter)
2014-07-18 12:14 AM
work is blocking the site

Crap, can't log in from work anymore. Blocked as not mission essential. \:\(

mole
(Getting the hang of it)
2014-07-18 12:30 AM
Re: work is blocking the site

You must work for a 3 letter government agency. ;\)

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2014-07-31 08:54 PM

ROFL - PITA. Could use proxy or VPN but if they're blocking even IT members you might get yourself in trouble over doing that.

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2014-07-31 09:39 PM

Brad - sent you a possible solution via PM - it's worked for me when working in financial orgs including the FED. \:\)

Glenn

BradV
(Seasoned Scripter)
2014-07-31 09:45 PM

Thanks Glenn,

It appears someone else complained since suddenly it is working again to a certain point. \:\)

Regards,

Brad

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2014-08-01 10:44 AM

You can PM me Glenn - interested in your thoughts as anything done to circumvent could be detected and grounds for dismissal I'd think.

(KiX Supporter)
2014-08-01 04:57 PM

Huh? What? I don't know nuttin! \:D

No secret - RDS over HTTPS. Secure RDP connection to a remote workstation. The security auditor at the Fed pointed me to this option. ;\)

Traffic is encrypted/secure. Unlike a VPN, there's no "connection" at the network / NetBIOS level when properly restricted.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2014-08-02 12:34 AM

Yes but does show in the router logs if they want to be a dork about it.

Talk about lock down. The wife went over to China to work for a short trip. Can't run a lot of things out of the hotel connection to common sites here in the US. They also blocked just about every VPN and Proxy out there. Work was able to get unrestricted access back to US though. Glad I don't have to deal with that.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2014-08-02 01:34 AM

Eh... Glenn how does rdp "connection" differ from SSL VPN?
There is a connection just the same.

(KiX Supporter)
2014-08-02 02:39 AM

SSL VPN makes an attachment between the networks - your client is effectively a node on the central network. With RDP (and mapped resources disabled) only the KVM traffic is passed - the remote node isn't connected on the same LAN.

Glenn

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2014-08-02 02:58 AM

But... You can have SSL VPN between two endpoints. That is basically exactly what rdp does. To an outside observer it is same difference. Now, how you setup your VPN and how you use it affect the amount of traffic delivered. But again,for mister snoopy both are the same.

Or maybe I just misunderstood your original argument...