NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-10-08 09:59 AM
Not so Tough

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2007-10-08 11:15 AM
Re: Not so Tough

D#mn \:o they must have been going fast.

Maybe the original Hummer (the army version) is a better choice then.

Björn
(Korg Regular)
2007-10-08 12:52 PM

Mart, well - yes and no. If you still want a hummer -yes indeed, if you want something safe - get something else ;\)

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-10-08 12:56 PM

A Volvo perhaps?

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-10-08 09:15 PM

Well I know that when I worked for Volvo USA as a mechanic we had a customer that got into a head on collision at 70MPH / 112kph he walked away without a scratch.
Bruised from seat belts and air bag but otherwise unharmed.

Witto
(MM club member)
2007-10-08 09:35 PM

Maybe Volvo gets good results in crash tests, but in an accident like on the photo with a Hummer, I want don't want to drive that Volvo...

Alistair
(Fresh Scripter)
2007-10-09 12:35 PM

Look again people. The debris is not scattered all over the place and the "typical American pickup truck" is less bent than the Hummer. Therefore I think it was a relatively low speed crash and the Hummer came off much worse than the pickup (but both passenger compartments appear quite intact). I'll continue to drive my Volvo V70.

Alistair

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2007-10-09 09:24 PM

Well having been a mechanic for them and having seen some of the accidents and been able to speak with the drivers as well does give one faith that they are rather safe vehicles.

I'm not saying they are the best but they sure do well in most testing and in real life situations.

Yes, I had similar thoughts about the Hummer crash. Have not looked at one recently but a couple years ago when I looked at them there sure is a LOT of plastic to one of them.