Chris S.
(MM club member)
2004-07-22 05:35 PM
PHP/MySQL Request

Does anybody have a PHP/MySql enabled website that I can try a free Web-based Knowledge Base software on? I've tried some of the free php-enabled sites, but they are limited enough that I can't install what I need to get this going.

Any help is appreciated. There is the possibility of using this knowledge base for KiXtart KB articles, FAQs, and How-to's.

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-07-22 05:43 PM
Re: PHP/MySQL Request

Why don't you set one up yourself?

Apache/PHP/MySQL is pretty simple to set up, and you will benefit from understanding the underlying process.

I'd prefer Linux, but I've installed it on my local Windows XP box for testing and development and the process was painless.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-07-22 06:13 PM

XP. huh.
for speed it could be better to be on w2k, but yes, for development, candyOS is sufficient.

easiest indeed is to build the machine yourself.
apache setup is about 30mins and once you find it's all powers, you might even skip the idea of php.

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-08-02 02:21 PM

Quote:

apache setup is about 30mins and once you find it's all powers, you might even skip the idea of php

Eh? Apache is a webserver, not a programming language. Without a PHP interpreter a PHP application has no way of executing.

If you want dynamic page content and something to handle POSTS and GETS then you need something other than vanilla Apache to handle it.

There are a number of Apache modules available - you can use the CGI module to run external scripts and programs, alternatively you can use internal modules to interpret things like PHP, PERL and others directly in the webserver thread/process. IIRC some database handlers (such as Oracle and MySQL) are also available as modules to provide persistent connections.

However these modules are not Apache itself, they are additional features which can be compiled into a monolithic web server or loaded on demand with an "apxs" style web server.

So, if you want to execute a PHP application you need a PHP interpreter (and MySQL support) whether it is executed as a CGI or as an Apache module.

If you download a binary distribution of Apache rather than the source (and I guess most Windows users will get the binaries) then you will have access to the modules that the binary maintainer decided to compile in. This will usually include PHP and MySQL as together with Apache they form a (the most?) popular database oriented web environment.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-08-02 02:44 PM

well, who said it was?
he asked for a website that handles his PHP&mySQL stuff.
I said, put it up yourself.

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-08-02 03:25 PM

You did

Or at least you implied it:
Quote:

you might even skip the idea of php

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-08-02 04:59 PM

doh, with that I ment that with apache you have so many other options, like Rivet.