Les
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 03:59 AM
Colours on www.kixhelp.com

DOC and I have been PMing back and forth on this for a while and basically he says I have a crappy video. Basically, with the colours on http://www.kixhelp.com/links.htm I can't see the text in the right column.

Am I the only guy with lousy video?

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 04:02 AM
Re: Colours on www.kixhelp.com

In the right column ? You mean the white on black ? You cant see that ?

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 04:03 AM

Yeah... I knew it was not me alone.

I sent him a video driver link.

Vodoo 3 Driver Updates

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 04:04 AM

NOPE! For me it's black text on black back. If I drag my cursor over the area it turns white on blue.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 04:05 AM

so, it might be that your browser does not support styles or has scripts disabled.

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 05:09 AM

Looks like I need some other kind of VooDoo! DLd the driver and still black text on black background. [Frown]

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 05:14 AM

Les,

Jooel may be correct. This is using Cascading Style Sheets version 2 which "may" only properly be viewed or supported on Netscape 6 or IE 6

Just a guess as I'm not 100% sure what version of the browser you need to view it. Also you may have some other settings set different in your IE browser.

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 05:16 AM

Doc, I like this page better than the old one [Cool]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 05:20 AM

doc, why don't you Validate the page?

MCA
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 05:26 AM

Dear NTDOC,

On a ASUS video card we see also black-on-black. for the right column.
The color choose from previous site format was very well.
CSS style sheets can work great, but during 'problems' it can be hard to solve.
greetings.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 05:27 AM

mca, what is your browser version?

Jack Lothian
(MM club member)
2002-12-05 05:35 AM

I see it fine but I am IE 6.

MCA
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 05:36 AM

At this moment we have verify it on IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.79 with same black-on-black
result.
greetings.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 05:37 AM

so, doc, any change of using jscript or css1?

MCA
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 05:47 AM

Dear,

After creating a new format we are verifying it also on all kind of other (old) browser.
Sometimes we discover problems with javascripts, which were designed by those STATISTICS
companies.
At this moment we find minor warnings on IE 3.0 and earlier versions acceptable. From
release IE 4.0 we don't want to see any warning. Also we don't want to have a dependecy
of display properties.

So we are always very happy to have very slow computers to detect performance
problems and to see things work in a correct way.
greetings.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 09:05 AM

Hmmm... Seems that it does point to a dependancy on using IE 6 or Navigator 6

I have plenty of older systems and IE 5.01 I can try it on tomorrow when I get back to work.

Lonkero,

Sorry, I stole most of this code and modified it to work on my site. I don't know anything about Java and only just now getting into CSS

I really like CSS2, I can probably round up some code that will check the browser version and redirect to an HTML 4.0 page/s if I really needed to.

I'll have to think about what direction I really want to go in. I do like how I can modify a few lines in one file and have it modify ALL my pages. Very cool, but I know that not everyone is using IE6 either.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 09:15 AM

dear,
all this you can do with jscript.
also, all this you can do with ssi/cgi (cgi-like our board) with Lynx/IE1.0/Netscape0.9 compliancy

it is not hard, just you will need to know the basics.

if you need to know some, just ask.

MCA
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 09:23 AM

Dear Lonkero,

Nice wether forecast as link. Also you have nice temperatures during the days and nights. At
this moment you don't need a deep-freeze cabinet.

We have such temperatures only for a short period and mostly once in ten year.
greetings.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 09:40 AM

yeah, currently it's pretty warm.
I've lived all my life in near of turku until 2 years ago moved here.
this is really cold place. when turku goes to -5 here is normally -15 - -30 [Frown]

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 06:57 PM

Actually Lonkero I would have to disagree with you.

Unless you are an Albert Einstein kind of guy... Java is not simple. i.e. If you enable script debugging in IE you will find that well over 50-60% of all websites you visit that use Java and or Java Script have errors. This includes major sites such as HP/Compaq/Sun/MS/Schools etc...

This would indicate to me that somebody "thinks" they did it correctly, but in fact they have something screwed up in the code. It is also a rather extensive language.

Also, my site is targeted towards NT/2000 Network Administrators, whom I would assume "most" are running IE 6 on their own desktop. Trying to comply with the lowest common denominator is also not what I really want.

As I've said I'm completely new to writing web pages, I don't do it for a living.... I spend many hours at my normal job doing LAN/WAN SAN Network support. In my free time I try to learn and work with other technologies, but I don't have an unlimited amount of time for these tasks either (The family doesn't appreciate me spending my entire night on computing [Eek!] )

For now it is at least useable and viewable by most users so I'll probably leave the site as is while I figure out what direction to really take.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas though.

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 07:10 PM

DOC,
Some of those 'errors' that IE reports may have to do with M$'s implementation of the 'Virtual Machine' but still I have to agree with you that it is not the easiest to master.

As for assuming that admins would be out front with the latest technology, that just isn't so. In my org, we have standards, one of which is IE 5.5 so I am compelled to stay and test within this standard.

Yes we sometimes 'early adopt' on a test bench but on a core machine.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 07:16 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong. Our "standard" is IE 5.5 SP2 as well... but almost everyone I know that is an Admin has IE 6 on their own desktop. [Wink]

As far as the MS VM... in IE 6, well what can you say. Like it or not, if you own 90% of the market, you ARE the standard and the Java should be written to accomodate or work with it.

Also, I'm not saying that I'm not going to modify my page... I'm saying I DON'T KNOW HOW to properly do it yet. I snagged the code and modified it as is. I didn't write it from scratch. If/When I figure out a better way, I'll update accordingly.

TIME, TIME, TIME,.....Shawn ! can KiXForms add more time to the day yet?

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 08:13 PM

Les,

I just checked my site http://www.kixhelp.com on Linux and Mozilla v0.9.2.1 and it views the site just fine. I checked with Netscape v4.8 and it does not view it at all, in fact it looks kind of maybe like what you describe.

I'm gonna go find an IE 5.5 and check with that as well, will update soon.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 08:20 PM

I just tried with Netscrape 4.78 (lol). Got a bit of an issue there for sure ... yikes.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 08:27 PM

Hmmm... You need IE Shawn [Big Grin]

Odd. According to this site here, I don't think I'm doing anything that would prevent IE 5.5 from seeing the site properly.

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/supportkey/syntax.htm

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-12-05 08:35 PM

Probably not adding much value here but same thing with IE 4.2 - black-on-black.

-Shawn

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-05 08:39 PM

Yeah... CSS did not really get started until IE 5 then they slowly started adding to it. I would think that 5.5 would be able to see the site fine, but I still have to get outside our Admin community to get to one of those boxes. Everyone here has updated to IE 6 already.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-05 09:48 PM

I can test with konqueror 3.0.3-13

eh, yep, did not show [Frown]

heh... [Razz]

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-12-06 01:07 PM

Okay,

I've visited a CSS site validator and there are no longer any errors in the code, but Jochen has verified that IE 5.0 can not view it normally on the Link and Download page.

I've added a DISCLAIMER for now till I can really fix the problem.
http://www.kixhelp.com/

Les,

Any change for IE 5.5? That version understands more CSS then 5.0, but not as much as 6.x

I'm away in Las Vegas for a couple days... You guys hold down the fort while I'm away.

Lonkero... Don't go hitting 10,000 while I'm gone. [Big Grin]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-12-06 04:48 PM

no.
I've been slowing down. I even went to sleep last night.

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-12-06 04:50 PM

Yeah Jooel, we missed you. [Wink]

DOC, still the same in 5.5. [Frown]