pansac
(Fresh Scripter)
2002-11-21 03:41 AM
XP's Failure to run Login script

Has anybody experienced issues with Windows XP clients failing to run the login script from the netlogon share?

We are using Windows 2000 Active directory & the kix32 is entered into the Logon script box under the profile tab as outlined in the Kixtart manual.

I've noticed if the user logs in straight after XP starts the script dosent run, if XP is given some time to finish booting the script is found & executed.

Has anybody experienced this & if so whats was the fix..

Thanks
Simon

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-11-21 03:46 AM
Re: XP's Failure to run Login script

The most likely cause is the use of '%0\..\' inside your login script which is interpreted incorrectly under Windows XP. This has been discussed a lot on this board. A search for 'Windows XP %0' will retrieve those discussions.

It is recommended to use the '%0\..\' only for Windows 9x. Windows NT/2000/XP don't require it. An example login.bat compatible with Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP is here: Mixed Win9x, W2K, WinXP Workstations

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-21 03:59 AM

Jens,
He did say "kix32 is entered into the Logon script box under the profile tab" so my take would be that there is no logon.bat involved.

If waiting for the boot to complete before logon works then there has to be some other underlying issue like WINS or DNS name resolution.

pansac
(Fresh Scripter)
2002-11-21 04:27 AM

Hi all,

kix32.exe is entered in the Logon script box as stated before. We have been using Windows 2000 clients for a while with no problems, semms only related to XP clients.

We are running DHCP which allocates the internal DNS & WINNS servers.

Like I stated in my first post if the PC is given more time to start the script loads no problem, it's only when the user's logon as soon as the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen is available that it fails to load.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Simon

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-21 04:33 AM

Are you running H-node? I'm just guessing here as have no XP on my LAN.

pansac
(Fresh Scripter)
2002-11-21 05:49 AM

Yes we are..

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pansac
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : abc.com.au
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : abc.com.au
com.au

Simon

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-21 05:56 AM

Are you running any other protocols besides TCPIP?
Any other providers like NetWare, IBM CLient Access, etc.?

Also check the DNS for valid PTR records.

pansac
(Fresh Scripter)
2002-11-21 06:21 AM

No we are only using TCP/IP & both of the Domain
servers have PTR records.

Its strange if the machine is given 10 to 15 seconds after the logon prompt comes up the kix32.exe is run.

Simon

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-21 02:45 PM

Simon,

I am using XP at work with no issues..

Have you tried the /f switch when launching your KiX script?

I went through a bit of an exercise to get our clients KiXtart versions updated.

Deployment of Kix Scripts

HTH,

Kent

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-21 04:02 PM

It would appear that a local service does not start in time. Is this an issue on just one machine or several?

My initial thoughts were to point a finger at name resolution. Either the local WINS or DNS client is not ready early enough or the browse list hadn't built in time. If it's just one machine you may just have to scrub and rebuild.

Kent,
I can't see where the group cache would have a bearing on this. By simply delaying the logon, it works.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-21 04:10 PM

I have one xp (my boss) and he hasn't said anything about having problems

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-21 04:13 PM

Maybe he's happy your script doesn't run and wants to keep quiet about it. [Big Grin]

I've seen lots of bosses that only use their computer for games, internet, and email.

Rocco Capra
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-21 09:25 PM

All,

With the way XP loads things a boot now it may not have loaded the needed services to run the login script as you login.

I have specially noticed this when I login right away after a boot or reboot. If I wait a couple minutes the login Script runs fine.

HTH,

Rocco

pansac
(Fresh Scripter)
2002-11-21 10:33 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.

This is a problem with all the clients (4) that are running XP on our domain. I suspect with the way XP boots (which is allot faster) it allows the user to logon before all services have loaded properly.

A work around is to load a script on the client & delay it but after testing it needs at least 45 seconds to find the netlogon share.

Any suggestions?

Simon

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-21 10:40 PM

pansac, my suggestion is to send e-mail to ms.

we have had some other dudes complaining about that and most likely there will be others.

I haven't had such issues so I can't e-mail about this, but you could. maybe even you are the 1000 person who complains about that and they get knowledge page article and hotfix done... or something.

your quess on the timing issue is correct as heard that already on the summer and it was from some source which I don't remember...

les, he complained that it didn't work when had the bat running with %0 so yes, it is sure it works.

pansac
(Fresh Scripter)
2002-11-21 10:59 PM

Lurenko,

Your right but MS will probably take forever to resolve the issue, I've checked there knowledge base & they have a reference to the %0 issue with XP & batch files but nothing about XP not running the Logon batch file. I don't think it’s related to Kitart more to do with the client not seeing the netlogon share if the users logons to early.

Will send them an email.

Thanks
Simon

Rocco Capra
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-22 02:55 PM

All,

I just found this article that gives this pointer...

"To revert back to the Win2k 'synchronos' behavior, set a Group Policy (preferably at the domain level) to enable the 'Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon' policy which can be found in the Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Logon branch of Group Policy."

Havn't tried it yet cause I'm not in the office this week.

HTH,

Rocco

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-22 03:50 PM

Rocco,
Nice find... looks promising...

Could you provide a link to the atricle?

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-22 04:00 PM

this looks pretty close, what you think?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;305293&

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-11-22 04:05 PM

Don't you hate these games Microsoft is playing? Pure marketing crap so they can clain that "Windows XP now starts up twice as fast as Windows 2000". Yeah, right! [Mad]

Rocco Capra
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-22 04:07 PM

Les,

IO got that out of the Nov 2002 issue of MCP magazine.

Rocco

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-22 04:13 PM

might be worth of faq...

never one should try the latest first.
I remember someone saying that xp os not .0 release as it's 5.1
yes, true, but that should make everyone think does that marketing talk really take place.
same os, little changes/"improvements"...

this is just stupid, do they think that they can play like this without reducing of income?
the ones that are suffering are admins of networks, not the ones with less $ behind them.

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-22 04:30 PM

Jens, IKWYM [Mad]

Pure marketing crap! The suits with the wallets eat this crap up and then us admins get blamed for slowing down the systems.

The article seems to hint that if RunLogonScriptSync is set that the fast logon is disabled. I would like to see some test results before making this into an FAQ. Anyone willing to run some tests and publish the results?

I've banned XP from my net so I'm out.