Jose
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-04 11:36 PM
Free Nt memory if possible.

Hello:
Actually I work with Nt 4.0 terminals (Pent 200 - 32 ram, very low and nothing to do about it!) every now and then users have to restart the computer to refresh their memory so as to keep on working with an Oracle database executed with a software buil up with Visual Basic.
I am wondering if it is possible to have a script that can free Nt memory instead of restarting the computer every time. If not IŽll keep on wondering.
Thank you very much.

kholm
(Korg Regular)
2002-11-04 11:53 PM
Re: Free Nt memory if possible.

If you have a oracle client installed on the the local NT terminal, you can try stopping the client and start it again.

If this frees the memory you can make a script to do the same job:

This is not a tested script, but an idea:
code:
Break On
Shell '%COMSPEC% /C Net Stop "Oracle Client"'
Shell '%COMSPEC% /C Net Start "Oracle Client"'

You have to check the name of the service in the service manager !!

-Erik

[ 04. November 2002, 23:54: Message edited by: kholm ]

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-05 02:11 AM

More often than not, the problem also includes memory fragmentation. There are memory defraggers but with the very limited amount of memory, anything you run would be detrimental.

RAM is cheap, so why not add more?

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-05 03:27 AM

Can I ask a silly question?

What does this have to do with COM (or Component Object Model)? I did not see a DLL, GETOBJECT, or CREATEOBJECT around here.

This would be better suited in the "General Category."

Kent

Jose
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-05 05:42 AM

I guess the point is to update and you are wright, the thing is that simm memory is not easy to find and economy had changed so I was only wondering....., sorry If posted in the wrong place. Thank all.