Schuliebug
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-01 09:28 AM
Icon from .exe in KixForms

Is it possible to use icons from .exe files instead or next to from .dll files ? I try to achieve something as in KixForms wish list, item Remote Management Utility. I can add an icon from a .dll in a $Form.Image, but what i want is to add icons from eventvwr.exe ..

Is it also possible to automatically resize the icons added to the form ?? [Confused]

[ 01. November 2002, 11:14: Message edited by: Schuliebug ]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 02:24 PM
Re: Icon from .exe in KixForms

schulie, you might want to "create" the icons by yourself.
tools like irfanview can open exe's and dll's showing their icons and saving them in whatever format you want (including .ico)

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 02:26 PM

Jan, will look into this asap.

Schuliebug
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-01 03:27 PM

Lonkero,

I solved this with .ico files, but still it would be nice that:
  • you could get icons form whatever file (.dll, .exe, .ico)
  • and that it would be automatically be resized to the size of the object.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 05:29 PM

the resize is ok and missed that when did button with image.
needed to resize (modify) the image to get it fit there...

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 05:59 PM

What is it about Images and Icons that can't be resized ?

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 06:02 PM

autoresize, auto...

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 06:05 PM

You mean, for exmaple, if you created an icon image that is 16x16 pixels - then if you load the image with another icon that is 32x32, the image control would automatically resize to 32x32 ?

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 06:26 PM

or, if you have a image of 800x1024 and button for 20x20 the image gets automatically to that size.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 06:35 PM

Well, if you create an image icon that is 32x32 - then set the width and height to 200x200 - you will get an icon that is 200x200, albiet very grainy - same with a bitmap, if you compress a bmp from 500x500 down to 50x50 - something is going to get lost in the translation. ie: would one really want to do this ?

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 06:42 PM

well, if one has that sized image and wants it smaller, it has to be resized anyway.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 06:59 PM

Well, I don't think icons were really meant to be stretched and resized too much - the developer would choose to use either small (16x16) or large (32x32) and simply size the image accordingly. Could see maybe deviating from this "standard" a little bit (+/- 10%) but then the icons start to look grainy and loose the standard Windows look-nd-feel. Bitmaps are a different story ...

It has always been stated (even with VB6) that one shouldn't use the compiler to as an imaging studio (tool) - that is to say - if one wants to change the appearance (size/effects/tone) of a bitmap, the developer should use free or commercially available software to do this ahead of time - and ship the revised bitmap in pretty much the state the he/she would render it in.

This is because Kixforms (or VB6 or anything like it) wasn't engineered to be on the same level as PhotoShop or the like. Im not an expert to be sure, but I think dedicated software like this is much, much more adept at compressing a bitmap then VB6 is - plus add to that the fact that one really wouldn't want to be doing this at "run time" anyways - it would just take up more time and cycles than are needed - why not just ship bitmap in its rendered state and size and be done with it. The size you would know ahead of time so you could properly construct it ahead of time.

As an example of all this - might want to check out how the KIX-LANDER script was built and shipped.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 07:14 PM

shawn, I know I know.
just, that it would be awesome.
but even with real editor (like the irfanview, which did better quality than photoshop) the image resize reduces the outerlook.
and hasn't many webpages in the link page the smaller image as link to the same image in fullsize?

scretching image is one thing that I can't understand for programmatic usage... unless someone is coding image editor.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 07:32 PM

You know what Jooel - I know you know this - my comments aren't directed toward you or Jan ... Im just making some statements here. And to be honest, once an icon or bitmap has been sized ahead of time - why would one need to dynamically chnage the size of it (while the app is running). Unless one is coding some kind of funky game or imaging software itself ... how many Windows apps have you seen that dynamically change the size of a bitmap. One very rarely see this, even (like you say) when using the webbrowser.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 07:36 PM

now came to mind...
I new to find a way to create bitmaps...
with kix!
man, this is stupid thing this friday, coding only.

{edit}
actually, I made photogallery some 1,5 year ago that loaded dynamically the files and created the java code to point to those images which were automatically resized to client width.
even when user resized the ie window...
lot of code and after 6 months it was abandoned.
I quess I would have needed to take more money so it would be still there [Big Grin]

[ 01. November 2002, 19:38: Message edited by: Lonkero ]

Schuliebug
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-01 10:12 PM

Shawn,

I read your opinion about autoresize, and after thinking about it and looking into some other .dll files i have to agree with you. I saw that in some .dll files there are three versions of icons: 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48. If we want to display icons from files (.exe, .dll or .ico) we just have to point to the right resolution [Wink]

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-11-01 10:25 PM

What your wanting "auto resize" requires that the object be written in vector format, not bitmap.

In vector (such as AutoCAD or similar) an object that is so small it can fit 1,000 times on the head of a needle can be blown up to the size of football field and still have the same appearance of detail because it is all done proportionally with mathmatics. A bitmap is not handled in the same manner.

Here are a couple links to further describe this.

http://www.mustek.com/class/bit_vec.html

http://tuts.cit.nih.gov/dtpcourse_vargas/A04-bitmapvsvector.html

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-01 10:32 PM

doc, I know what you are after but autoresize is not after perfect.
you can resize gif and jpg... can't you?

the meaning of resize is when it comes to bmp, to calculate the closest available true.
so to pixels saying:
comes to one:

4 pixels saying:
comes to:

or somewhat similar...
I know you didn't miss the point but someone might had.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 11:32 PM

Luv yeah doc - think you hit the nail on the head for flawless resizable graphics - can't remember the name of the file format though ... eh ... WMF ? Windows Meta Format/File ? We can support that if we want but not a very popular format. They scale well and are very (very) sml.

Jan,

At the end of day here, I think I can squeeze .EXE icon extraction in for this weekend. I have another change lined-up for krabourn do do with deleting ListView cols, plus a couple of misc fixes ...

[ 01. November 2002, 23:34: Message edited by: Shawn ]

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-01 11:44 PM

Noticed eventvwr.exe only has one icon [Frown]

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-02 12:00 AM

ps. When I rip icons I always use a little proggy called IconRipper. Looks as if there is a new version out now, freeware of course:

IconRipper2

Version 1 was very tiny and lightweight - just checking-out version two now.

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-02 02:51 AM

In the past I used MicroAngelo, but that goes back a long way. It was pretty good for its time. It would not only rip icons from EXEs and DLLs but you would even edit them in place. The first thing I edited with it was the open manilla folder icon in regedit that represents the currently open key. The default open icon is hard to distiguish from the closed one. I wonder how far they've come along.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-02 02:56 AM

so, am I only regular who has found irfanview?
to see the list of supported format you can scroll the list in:
http://www.irfanview.com/main1.html

eh, I actually use it to play my music nowadays as weirdly mediaplayer has finally crashed itself.
wont start...

Schuliebug
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-03 03:23 PM

Love to test the new version of kiXforms !!

krabourn
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-03 09:04 PM

Did I see a new version coming? Yea!!!

Lonkero:
IrfanView is usually the first graphical program I load when I have to reload an OS. I didn't know there was anything better? [Wink]