Flavien
(Getting the hang of it)
2005-11-25 05:47 PM
Clean TokenCache when computer is renamed

I've spent the afternoon trying to find out why KiXtart did not think that I was in Administrators...

If InGroup("\\" + @WkSta + "\" + SidToName("S-1-5-32-544")) > 0
;User is admin
EndIf

Well, I renamed the computer earlier this week...

Workaround:
If InGroup("\\" + @WkSta + "\" + SidToName("S-1-5-32-544")) = 0
;User should be at least user...
DelTree("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KiXtart\TokenCache")
EndIf

My suggestion to Ruud is to include the computer name in the token cache. If it doesn't match the current @wksta, refresh the cache.

Richard H.Administrator
(KiX Supporter)
2005-11-28 02:52 PM
Re: Clean TokenCache when computer is renamed

Where you are using roaming profiles this would mean that the cache may be removed when it needn't be - not a big issue where your users always use the same computer, but potentially a problem for example in the Citrix environment where your user may rarely log on to the same machine twice in a row.

Including the machine name in the registry path would avoid this problem, but would bloat your HKCU hive as each machine you log onto would create an independant cache.

Flavien
(Getting the hang of it)
2005-11-28 03:17 PM

That is a good point. Clearing the cache too soon would negate its effectiveness.

Maybe only the local SIDs should be refreshed (S-1-5-32-*) when the computer name changes? This would add only one entry in the registry (with the computer name used when doing the last enumeration).

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2005-11-29 03:26 PM

Question - Wouldn't Microsoft's SysPrep take care of this as it has the option to re-generate the Computers SID anyway? That is what we use when we re-image a machine and it works pretty slick.

Kent

Witto
(MM club member)
2005-12-14 01:28 AM

Why sysprep a computer if the SID is unique? Just to clear a KiXtart TokenCache?

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2005-12-14 04:28 AM

If you SysPrep a computer the token cache will be empty anyway with regards to the local SIDs.