A_H
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-08-03 01:32 PM
Windows 8 support

I found Win8 is not supported yet, right?

I use Kix 4.62 on "Windows 8 Release Preview" and @producttype says "Windows 7 Proffessional Edition"

do we have to wait till next Kixtart-release?

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2012-08-03 02:45 PM
Re: Windows 8 support

Hi A_H,

I moved tour post to a separate thread and modified the title so it fits the issue/ question.

I assume Ruud (the developer of kixtart) is working on this and Win8 support will be added soon. He stops by every now and then to check for issues, requests or bugs.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2012-08-03 02:54 PM

yes, the way kixtart does it requires new kixtart version to be released for support of these updated strings to be added.

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2012-08-03 06:15 PM

In the mean time, you may try to use the @DOS macro. Hopefully it will return 6.2 for Windows 8. I don't have a win 8 system to test this on however.

A_H
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-08-07 11:09 AM

Thank you, @DOS reports 6.2 and I use this macro.

Sorry for answering late. I didn't have time because of office issues.

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2012-08-08 09:22 AM

Thanks for the follow-up

Ruud van Velsen
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2012-08-22 08:01 PM

Just to let you know that 4.63 is in the works right now and will support Windows 8.

Ruud

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2012-08-27 01:16 AM

Thanks Ruud, that's great news and glad that you're still with us

Looking forward to it.. Thanks

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-09-21 08:25 PM

I can confirm that 4.63 also supports/works with Windows Server 2012.

Patrick20
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-10-02 10:23 AM

i'm using kix to start drive mapping during the logon process and works fine with windows 7, however I start testing with Windows 8 RC and only the Home drive is mapped , the other mappings aren't done.

Use X: "\\Dataserver.company.LN\ServiceDesk" doesn't map.

What can we do ?

Regards
Patrick

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-02 01:12 PM

Our login script running with Kix 4.62 runs fine and mapps all drives & printers on Win-8 Pro RTM. I've tested several other Kix scripts as well without significant issue. What I've found so far is minor and due to the new interface or command tools.

Our customize script fails to pin the custom command prompt link to the start menu becaue there isn't a traditional start menu. Need to update the command to support the new UI.

Our TSADM task scheduler tool doesn't seem to work - not sure if it's mis-detecting the O/S and installing the XP version or SCHTASKS.EXE has changed (again) and needs a library update. Neither of these are Kix issues.

Glenn

Ruud van Velsen
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2012-10-03 07:09 PM

What is the value of @ERROR after the failed USE?

And have you tried running the script after logon, in a command prompt?

Kind regards,

Ruud

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-03 08:33 PM

FYI - running "USE L: \\server\share" maps the drive after logon without error on Windows 8 / Version 6.2 / Build 9200 - tested with Kix 4.53, 4.60, 4.62, and 4.63, and WKix 4.60 and 4.63.

Our regular script runs using Kix32 v4.62.

Glenn

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2012-10-04 11:12 AM

FYI - 4.63 Release is in the Lounge forum now.

I will ask Jooel to update the main page for the download link.

Patrick20
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-10-04 03:44 PM

Guys,
I tested with version 4.62 on our domain but same story, logon process works but no drives mapped (that's the only issue. when I do it from command prompt , they connect without issues, what is going wrong here? as said, no change and on W7 no issue to map drives....

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-04 03:47 PM

If this is a GPO Startup script or a tradition logon script?

What are the errors after the trying to the mappings? ie @serror

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-04 03:49 PM

Do you have anything in your script that includes @producttype. Win8 is not supported in kix until the just released 4.63.

Patrick20
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-10-04 04:24 PM

It's a a tradition logon script, no errors, it looks like the do the mapping but at the end no mappings...
Yes, I have used kix 4.61/4.62 and @producttype shows me "Windows 8 enterprise"..

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2012-10-04 06:38 PM

that is not really possible. otherwise good info.

Mart
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-04 08:00 PM

4.63 is required for Win8 support.

Like Ruud already asked, what is the error code just after you try to map a drive?

You can put the code below directly after each attempt to map a drive. Just some simple debugging code.

Code:
? @error
? @serror
Sleep 5

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-04 09:45 PM

Quote:
otherwise good info

LOL.

Patrick20
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-10-05 07:20 AM

Here you have the output:

? @error
? @serror
The operation completed successfully.

What can I say, it's stupid I know but have no idea why this happen with W8 , did the test on serveral different machines , new builds...
No mappings , again all the rest of the kix scripting works fine..

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2012-10-05 07:41 PM

there was a time with windows vista that broke all the logonscripts because UAC.
I am thinking this might be something as fun as well.
does the logonscript work right if you run it manually after logon?

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2012-10-05 08:19 PM

Yeah I think he mentioned that before. It may also be the synchronous problem that people have every once in a while. But then again, I would think that would not result in a successful error status.

Quote:
when I do it from command prompt , they connect without issues

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2012-10-05 08:41 PM

It seems a few people are having similar issues (even without kix).

http://www.techplex.net/postst71873_Can-t-Map-Network-Drive-with-Login-Script.aspx?=

Have you tried adding the registry key found on this page? (just a shot in the dark)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

Patrick20
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-10-06 09:02 AM

ShaneEP,
You're right, the registery key solve the issue. however within win7 you do not need to add this , many thanks .

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2012-10-06 04:25 PM

That's strange. That key was originally for Windows 7 with UAC. I'm pretty surprised that it fixed the issue. But glad it did! ;\)

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2012-10-06 06:33 PM

tbh, that doesn't really fix the issue.
but maybe microsoft will fix the UAC in the RTM.

and to anyone reading this thread, only thing this far found that isn't supported by older kixtart versions is @producttype string.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-06 07:20 PM

The issue in the past was UAC WITH a GPO Startup Script(which that reg hack did fix). If his script is a traditional logon script, then there is definitely something worrisome about the way MS has configured Windows 8.

I'm looking forward to getting a RTM copy of Windows 8, just to see what is really going on here.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2012-10-06 09:00 PM

allen, that actually did "fix" the issue with vista logon script.
I don't remember was it a gpo logonscript or the one in the traditional field but that was only way to fix vista logon map when it came out.
now, why would logonscript run in different security context than the actual user session...
well, they surely have some wicked idea behind it and at the time the MS answer was, screw logonscripts, you need to do this stuff with GPO prefs.
which didn't really work either.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2012-10-08 07:35 PM

This may be the answer in the short term:

Change the following value to:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\RequireSecureNegotiate = 0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686098

Quote:

When a Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 based computer attempts to connect to a third-party file server that supports the SMB2 file protocol, you might see a failure to connect. You may get different error messages depending on how you’re accessing the third-party file server. These might include:

When using a DIR command with a UNC path, you get an "Invalid Signature" error.
When executing a NET USE command, you see a message saying that "System error 2148073478 has occurred."
When attempting to browse the to the UNC path, you get a message saying that "an extended error has occurred".

This behavior may be due to the "Secure Negotiate" feature added to SMB 3.0 for Windows Server 2012 and for Windows 8, which relies on the correct signing of error responses by all SMB 2 servers (including those supporting only protocol versions 2.0 and 2.1). Some third-party file servers do not respond with a signed error response causing the connection to fail.

Resolution:
 Quote:
Contact the third-party file server vendor and request an update that will allow the file server to support Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 clients.

Work Around:
 Quote:

Enable signing on the third-party file server.

Require signing on the SMB client or the SMB server by turning on the "RequireSecuritySignature" setting. See your vendor’s documentation for instructions on setting signing to "required" on the vendor’s SMB server.

You can enable signing using PowerShell on a Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 client with this command:

Set-SmbClientConfiguration -RequireSecuritySignature $true
Disable "Secure Negotiate" on the client.
You can do this using PowerShell on a Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 client, using the command:
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force
Note: The command as displayed above may wrap multiple lines in your web browser.

A_H
(Fresh Scripter)
2012-10-17 03:03 PM

@PRODUCTTYPE in Kix4.63 now supports Windows 8 BUT is this behavior intended?

Here is the script (only one line as example):
"Used Kix-Version: " + @kix + " prints Producttype as: " + @producttype

And the Output on Windows 2008 R2 with different Kix-Versions:

Used Kix-Version: 4.61 prints Producttype as: Windows Server 2008 R2
Used Kix-Version: 4.62 prints Producttype as: Windows Server 2008 R2
Used Kix-Version: 4.63 prints Producttype as: Windows 6.1 / 3

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2012-10-18 04:40 AM

no, that is a bug.

Slipknot1
(Just in Town)
2014-07-22 10:15 AM

Hi I have a question. I'd like to know whether the new version 464 supports Windows Server 2012 R2. I havent managed to get the right answer anywhere. Here's a scenario where the customer is using kixtart logon scripts with Windows 2003 Domain Controllers. We have recently upgraded them to Server 2012 R2 Domain Controllers. However the existing 2003 Domain Controllers are still in place. Looks like they are currently using Kix 411. Would i be able to upgrade Kix to a newer version to support Server 2012 R2 when we plan to decommission the older 2003 Servers? Please help..!! Very Urgent..!!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2014-07-22 01:42 PM

411 should also work. Upgrade to 4.6 does bring improvements and should be done.

And if you actually cared to read this thread before posting in it, you already have had your answer \:\)