masken
(MM club member)
2003-09-25 11:49 AM
Install Remote Registry Service on 9x machines

I guess the simplest way to reach the registry on 9x machines is to install the Remote registry Service (or can you reach the registry on them using WMI?)?

According to MS, to install this service, you have to set "user level security" on the client prior to installing.

Has anyone written any script to install this?

Solving the INF install for the remote registry service (under Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Remotereg on the 98 CD) could be done with:
code:
$HomeServer = "\\someserver"
IF @INWIN = 2
$RemoteReg = READVALUE("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runservices", "regserv")
IF $RemoteReg <> "regserv.exe"
$INFInstall = READVALUE("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inffile\shell\install\command", "")
$INFInstall = SUBSTR($INFInstall, 1, INSTR($INFInstall, "%1") - 1)
RUN '$INFInstall "$HomeServer\fileserver$$\Files\Win9x\REMOTREG\REGSRV.INF"'
ELSE
? "Remote registry service already installed"
ENDIF
ENDIF

I guess... But this doesn't work. My guess is that I have to set this "user-level security" first?

[ 25. September 2003, 11:49: Message edited by: masken ]

Jack Lothian
(MM club member)
2003-09-25 02:25 PM
Re: Install Remote Registry Service on 9x machines

I presume this is the User share setting in the network setup. Why not manually set it & use regsnap to find out the registry changes created by the setting. Then apply these changes with your your longon script. I suspect this might already be set though.

Why not install the remote registry service locally on a test machine & use an install tracker (cntl5?? is one I think) to register all the changes. Then you can apply them in your script.

masken
(MM club member)
2003-09-25 05:13 PM

Yes it is... but I was wondering if anyone had done this before. It's a tedious work to use registry snapshots etc, there's a rigorous amount of irrelevant stuff to go through using snapshots.

Jack Lothian
(MM club member)
2003-09-25 05:32 PM

Not really, if you do a snapshot just before & immediately after then run the compare function in regsnap it will auto generate a reg file for you. I bet it wouldn't contain more than 4 or 5 entries.

The Install Watchers tends to generate a lot of chaff though.

It is a while since I worked with Win9x but isn't User Level security usually specified in an NT type domain? Also, check out the readmes in the admin folder on the Windows 9x cd.

Jack Lothian
(MM club member)
2003-09-25 05:46 PM

I tried a search for you & the best I could find is this:

http://www.kixtart.org/board/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001777#000002

PS: It appears that Jooel had to resolve this problem in the past maybe you could try asking him directly. Maybe he could remember some of the details.

http://www.jsiinc.com/subb/tip0500/rh0572.htm

[ 25. September 2003, 17:51: Message edited by: Jack Lothian ]