MrMatt
(Lurker)
2002-02-06 05:53 PM
Font register

Hi,

I want to write a script that will deliver and register a font to workstations, without re-booting the machine. The syntax I'm using is: COPY "./HBOS.ttf" "c:\winnt\system32\HBOS.ttf"

WRITEVALUE ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","HBOS (TrueType)","HBOS.ttf", REG_SZ)

However the machine then needs to be rebooted before the font is available in Word etc.

Can this be done without re-booting?

Kdyer
(KiX Supporter)
2002-02-06 10:50 PM
Re: Font register

MrMatt,

Why aren't you doing the following?

code:

COPY "./HBOS.ttf" "%windir%\fonts\HBOS.ttf"

I believe (of course I could be wrong) once you copy to this "magical" folder, the system auto-registers the font(s) for you.

HTH,

- Kent

singk
(Fresh Scripter)
2003-05-28 04:51 PM

I have a code below that worked on Win2k, but it doesn't work on WinXP. I know it's not the permission issues because the copy statement worked and I'm logon as Domain Administrator.

code:
      ; Check if DURA font installed
$Font=ReadValue($HKLMS + "Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Dura (TrueType)")
If @ERROR <> 0
COPY $LogonDrv + "\GOR\BIN\dura____.ttf" "%WINDIR%\FONTS"
$Nul=WriteValue($HKLMS + "Microsoft NT\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Dura (TrueType)","dura____.ttf","REG_SZ")
EndIf

The code ran without any error. The writevalue statement also return zero, so it proves that there's no error, but somehow this key never get added. I also check to see if dura_____.ttf copied to %windir%\fonts, and it did.

Can someone help, please?

Thanks
Singk

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2003-05-28 05:18 PM

Try the InstallFont() - Install Font(s) UDF from the UDF Forum.

singk
(Fresh Scripter)
2003-05-28 07:42 PM

OOPS, I found what was the problem with my code. I somehow write to a wrong key. It must got change when I modified for Windows XP.

BAD coding:
code:
$Font=ReadValue($HKLMS + "Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Dura (TrueType)")
If @ERROR <> 0 COPY $LogonDrv + "\GOR\BIN\dura____.ttf" "%WINDIR%\FONTS"
$Nul=WriteValue($HKLMS + "Microsoft NT\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Dura (TrueType)","dura____.ttf","REG_SZ")
EndIf

Here's the CORRECT coding:
code:
If @ERROR <> 0 COPY $LogonDrv + "\GOR\BIN\dura____.ttf" "%WINDIR%\FONTS"
$Nul=WriteValue($HKLMS + "Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts","Dura (TrueType)","dura____.ttf","REG_SZ")
EndIf

Also, I could use InstallFont() by Lonkero, but since I have only one font to be added, I will use the code above because it's simpler.

Thanks,
Singk

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2003-05-28 07:48 PM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE requires administrative privileges under Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2003-05-28 09:00 PM

singk, dunno what is simple.
if you use udf's in your logonscripts you soon realize that they are darn simple.

they are just kinda extensions to the default kixtart-language.
just like in programming languages [Wink]

once you get a hang of it, you won't stop loving them.