Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2018-08-17 01:42 PM
Windows 10 bug and Kixtart Hopefully

Hello everyone.

I am deploying Windows 10 to my clients and have successfully managed to get Kixtart script to apply all settings bar the CLSID area of the registry:

Code:

;===========================================================================================
;  Shows Libraries in Windows 10 Explorer View - Not working in script
;===========================================================================================

CheckAndSetRegValue("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}", "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree", "0", "REG_DWORD")
CheckAndSetRegValue("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}", "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree", "1", "REG_DWORD")

The second line works - anything I write to the Wow6432 location works beautifully.
The first line fails with key I am trying to edit. If I edit the registry manually, it works, if I use a .reg file it works, but not with the kixtart script.

Using Regshot, I have determined that the first line of coding is not writing to hkey_classes_root\CLSID as expected but is actually writing to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\

I am running 64 bit windows. How do I get Kixtart to write to the non Wow6432 location? I only want to apply the non wow for these registry entries as everything else in the script works as expected.

Thank you

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2018-08-17 02:48 PM
Re: Windows 10 bug and Kixtart Hopefully

Pretty sure its just the redirection getting you.

See this specifically
$RC=setoption("WOW64AlternateRegView","On")

But you should also look into this one too
$RC=setoption("Wow64FileRedirection","on")

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2018-08-17 03:47 PM

Yes you are correct. I managed to find this code by searching the forum. So I fixed that. I may have to go with a GPO for settings here though because I have discovered that I need to reset ownership permissions which can't be done on the user login script and the user profile won't exist until the user logs in - so catch 22 situation.

I didn't realise this earlier as my test machine already had the permissions reset when I manually set libraries to show/hide in W10.

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2018-08-17 06:34 PM

We can close this post.

I managed to redirect to the correct registry location.

In addition, I also changed the registry key from classes_root to current_user\classes and managed to fix the permissions problem as well.

So I now have 99.9% of everything scripted in Kixtart for Windows 10 64 bit.

Thank you

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2018-08-18 05:19 AM

We could lock the topic but not something we typically do. This forum is not as plagued by trolls or spammers that reply to ancient topics. If left open others can continue to reply to add to it or ask questions if not sure about something.

Robdutoit
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2018-08-19 11:20 AM

I have used Kixtart forum a lot in the past, so I am familiar with how it works. I did not mean literally to close the post, I just meant more that the question has been answered and I have got it working. Thanks