vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-01 04:54 PM
kixtart and mapping drives Windows 10 pro x64 - FIXED

So I seem to be having an issue with mapping drives with windows 10 pro x64.

I echo'd out errors to see what was happening, and it would say the drive is already mapped, even after rebooting with only C mapped. So I unmapped all drives prior to the mapping script and it would still not map drives, or throw any errors, just return 0.

I can manually map the drives, and access the shares. It's also only occasionally not working, which makes it the most difficult to troubleshoot. Everything else in KIX completes fine. I have other Windows 10 x64 PC's that map no problem, always.

UPDATED:

Well, I found the fix, my kix32.exe file was set as run as administrator under compatibility mode. I unchecked that, and everything worked as it should!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-01 08:16 PM
Re: kixtart and mapping drives Windows 10 pro x64

Uac? Does win10 have it?

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-01 08:32 PM

UAC disabled, users are local admins.

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2016-06-01 08:50 PM

Have you actually checked that the computer doesn't think the drives are really being used? Maybe run something like this in your script to get a log of what drives it thinks are mapped.
 Code:
shell '%comspec% /c net use > c:\drives.txt'

Or maybe try unmapping all drives right before mapping.
 Code:
USE * /DELETE

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-01 08:57 PM

When I mentioned that I unmapped all the drives, I had this above the mapping portion:

USE * /DELETE

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-01 10:16 PM

Logon script or Startup Script.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-01 10:22 PM

It is a log on script. I can also run it after the log in of course.

Glenn BarnasAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-01 10:52 PM

My login script provides a ton of diagnostic info. If you're willing to download and add it to your Netlogon share, it should provide enough info about the environment to possibly identify the problem without modifying your current script. See the link in my sig and browse to Products / Administrators Toolchest.

PM me with the following info and I'll create a basic config file for you to eliminate the learning curve and provide you with a 30-day demo license key (if needed):
# of domain controllers in your environment (4 or less requires no license).
List of resources to map - drive, UNC Path, Group(s) to control mapping (if any)
Do you want to unmap drives prior to mapping?
Any drives to exclude from the unmapping process?

If you can reproduce this with a specific user, update that user's profile to run the new script. Create a debug file in their user profile folder and debugging will be enabled automatically.

The debug file will identify the system environment, all groups the user is a member of, the OU that the user and computer are in, and much more. Then, for each resource being mapped the status of the authorization logic (group, site, OU, etc. memberships) and result of the mapping command will be logged. If it fails to map, this should point to the cause.

Welcome to KORG, BTW!

Regards,

Glenn

BTW - a client in Australia had an issue with no mapping on 3 of 200+ machines - by running this we were able to determine that the environment was corrupt during logon due to a system fault.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-01 11:00 PM

As an example, I imaged a PC with fresh windows 10, logged in as myself, as a domain admin, and it could not map them, although it completed. But on my other Win 10 PC, worked/mapped fine.

Error 85 "the local device name is already in use"

Then I add USE * /DEL and I get a return of 0 "The operation completed successfully"

but still no mapped drive. I will PM you Glenn.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-01 11:24 PM

try the delete with /persistent

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-01 11:31 PM

I actually did, no luck.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-02 12:46 AM

It clearly mapped them but in different context.

We had similar issues with vista and admin security tokens. I bet this is something similar.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 01:32 AM

Yeah... I was thinking along the lines of a startup script mapping them as system prior to the logon script doing it.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-02 03:27 AM

I don't know if 10 has app isolation. If it does that could explain it. Other than that, I still vote for security context.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 03:50 AM

I've got at least 100 Windows 10 pcs running various logon scripts, with no mapping issues. With and without UAC on.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-02 06:18 AM

Local admin and not?

Without registry linked connections hack?

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 02:26 PM

Both.

No Reghack.

All mapping is done in the logonscript. The only time I ever heard/experienced the issues you are talking about was when mapping was in the startup script.

(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 03:08 PM

I've had no issues with W-10 and my login script. It runs for all users, including admins, with unique mappings for regular vs. admin users. (Admins usually get some extra shares for app installs and the MSDN ISO library.) We avoid granting local admin rights to user's primary accounts as a rule. In my environment, UAC is on, but for admin logins it elevates silently. No "reg-hacks" anywhere.

The script is in service at some clients with thousands of users and I've also had no feedback about missing mappings or similar issues, except for the large law firm in Australia - which turned out to be 3 corrupt system images.

Glenn

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-02 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen
Both.

No Reghack.

All mapping is done in the logonscript. The only time I ever heard/experienced the issues you are talking about was when mapping was in the startup script.

Now that does not make any sense. If someone tries to map a drive for a user in startup script, it's a matter of stupidity vs knowledge.

I have seen the token issue in several places. But since I hate metro and ads, I have no idea would that still pertain to win8, win8.1 or win8.10

What comes to the current persons issue, if it works except on this computer, something clearly isn't normal/right with this system and re-image probably is the best solution.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 06:03 PM

What is the token issue?

We have nothing else mapping, we have used kixtart for mapping for the last 7-8 years.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 07:59 PM

Mapping drives in the startup script under Win XP worked. It wasn't until Vista, that they changed the context of the user/token and hence the need to run the mappings in the logon script (or god forbid the use of the reghack).

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 08:46 PM

Well, it has always been part of our log on script. Only with Windows 10 do we have issues, our Vista and 8/8.1 installs have always been fine.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 09:22 PM

Viv, I don't think anyone questions you are having issues, but Glenn and I are also telling you we run windows 10 too and for the most part have not had issues. It's likely something specific to those machines. Have you checked the Event Viewer? Curious, what does "net view" tell you. I had a windows 10 where I ran the command and NOTHING came back and couldn't add a mapped/redirected printer. So despite it showing that nothing was there I did a net use lpt1 /del and not only did it remove something, now when I did a net view, it came back with results. YRMV.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 09:43 PM

so net view threw an error:
Error 6118: "The List of Servers for This Workgroup..."

the KB article was pretty old: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/139910

So I rejoined the laptop to the domain for fun, the error went away and prints stuff out when I run net view, but still no mapped drives.

I am doing a very basic script now:

USE * /DEL

USE S: \\E500SRV2\SHARE
? @error
? @serror

? "press any key" GET$

with USE * /DEL it throws no error code, and serror prints 'the operation completed successfully' but maps no drives. With USE * /DEL not there it throws error 85 'the local device name is already in use'

What is interesting if I do net use * /del it actually says the S drive is already mapped, I wonder why it is not showing up or accessible though? I can try going to run and typing in S: and hit enter, it doesn't think it is there...very odd.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 09:52 PM

Try right clicking on CMD and choose Run as Admin, and do the net view again. Any different results?

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 10:01 PM

more interesting stuff, I can run net use S: \\e500srv2\share via command line and it will map. I disconnect it, and run kix32.exe test.kix which has the script above, and it completes with 0 error code, but does not actually map it.

I am running it in a normal command, NOT elevated as admin.

Try right clicking on CMD and choose Run as Admin, and do the net view again. Any different results?

throwing error 6118 again, in run as admin or not running as admin.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 10:13 PM

Might have some typos... i just threw this together... post your results.

Code:
? @kix
? @producttype
if exist("S:\")
  ? "S: Exists"
  ? net use s: /delete /persistent
  ? @result
  ? @error
  ? @serror
endif
if not exist("S:\")
  ? "S: Does not Exist"
  ? "Mapping Drive"
  $Path="\\E500SRV2\SHARE"
  if exist($path)
    USE S: $path 
    ? @result
    ? @error
    ? @serror
  else
    ? "Path does not exist"
  endif
endif

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 10:16 PM

copy and paste it again... i forgot the not in the second IF section.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 10:17 PM

one typo, I also added pauses to it as well...but:

Windows 10 Pro
S: Exists

The operation completed succesfully

still no mapped drive. I ran this:

Code:
? @kix
? @producttype
if exist("S:\")
  ? "S: Exists"
  USE s: /delete /persistent
  ? @result
  ? @error
  ? @serror
  ? "press any key" GET$
endif
if not exist("S:\")
  ? "S: Does not Exist"
  ? "Mapping Drive"
  $Path="\\E500SRV2\SHARE"
  ? "press any key" GET$
  if exist($path)
    USE S: $path 
    ? @result
    ? @error
    ? @serror
    ? "press any key" GET$
  else
    ? "Path does not exist"
    ? "press any key" GET$
  endif
endif

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 10:21 PM

So S: is not being deleted because it doesn't try to re-add it. Hmmm

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 10:23 PM

So S: is not being deleted because it doesn't try to re-add it. Hmmm

Here it is with my pauses, the output that is:

Code:
Windows 10 Pro
S: Exists

The operation completed successfully.
press any key
S: Does not Exist
Mapping Drive
press any key
S:
The operation completed successfully.
press any key

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-02 10:28 PM

I just googled "mapped drives not showing in Windows 10" and the hits lit up... Here's one.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/24492-mapped-drives-not-showing-up-explorer.html

Must be more common than we thought. You might dig into that a little.

I gotta run... hope you or someone else can figure it out.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-02 10:48 PM

I just googled "mapped drives not showing in Windows 10" and the hits lit up... Here's one.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/24492-mapped-drives-not-showing-up-explorer.html

Must be more common than we thought. You might dig into that a little.

I gotta run... hope you or someone else can figure it out.

Yeah, I have been reading through them as well, that is where I found you cannot run mapping as admin, but no one has a fix for this situation it seems.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-03 12:15 AM

Mapping drives in the startup script under Win XP worked. It wasn't until Vista, that they changed the context of the user/token and hence the need to run the mappings in the logon script (or god forbid the use of the reghack).

in vista pre sp1 power users and admins required the registry hack. Other option per Microsoft documents was to have your logon script spawn a run once process and run the mappings there. If I don't remember incorrectly, some versions of updates caused the same issue on windows 7 as well.

Now, start up scripts with mapped drives... I won't believe that before I see one in action.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-03 12:24 AM

That elevated prompt posts you saw elsewhere is exactly the token context issue.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-03 03:09 AM

Try logging in as a different user on the same box, maybe an account that has not been used on it before, so that it creates a new profile.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-03 03:11 AM

Good call.
Corrupt profiles are not unheard of.

(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-03 12:48 PM

Careful! That article relates to Windows 3.1 running on MS-DOS 6! Research into the error specifically to Windows 7/8.x/10 seems to point to firewall settings/issues, or DNS resolution.

1. Check your firewall settings and determine which network type windows thinks it's connected to (Domain, Private, or Public). This could be the first clue that the computer isn't detecting the network properly. Proper DNS and firewall settings are crucial for this. (often, add-on firewall products can affect this - the Windows firewall usually won't unless someone has modified the default settings incorrectly.)

2. Temporarily turn off firewall protection and try logging on again. (Don't stop the service! In fact, if the service is off/disabled, this could be the root of your problem.)

3. Verify that the DHCP service is running, which provides DNS helper services.

4. Check the DNS settings on the local computer. Are the DNS servers pointing ONLY to internal servers? A common mistake is to add an external DNS to the list, which will wreak havoc with AD operations, particularly if a system gets a response from the external DNS faster than the internal - it will become the preferred server and then nothing will resolve on your internal network.

5. Get a copy of NetDom (Server 2000 AND 2003 resource kits - 2 versions with different capabilities). Run the Query against the domain and see what it says.

Also, when "running as administrator", just be sure you recognize that they are different contexts and could return different results. Not likely for "net view" but definitely for things like "net use". Just a reminder that when you're deep in the weeds you don't let this stuff mislead your troubleshooting efforts. \:\)

Glenn

(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-03 12:54 PM

Holy cow - Look what I get for typing a response yesterday before leaving work and clicking submit this morning! LOL! The response above was a reply to a post on the prior page. \:\(

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-03 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Lonkero
Good call.
Corrupt profiles are not unheard of.

I reformatted the laptop actually, so it is a new profile. The key thing I think is that the PC's that work 100% of the time in windows 10 upgraded from 7, where as the issues tend to be with those with fresh windows 10 installs.

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-03 04:30 PM

I have a lab setup for the middle school kids at the club I work for, and while those machines are older, they do have a fresh install of Windows 10. They all have a mapped drive to save their work. I'll verify they are not having issues, but I'm pretty sure that has been working for months now.

Maybe try replacing the NIC drivers. I have run into a number of issues with Windows 10 removing the factory drivers and installing the MS versions.

Arend_
(MM club member)
2016-06-03 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: vivithemage
UAC disabled, users are local admins.

Ever since Windows 8/Windows 2012 UAC is never really disabled until you disable it in the registry.
Keep in mind, completely disabling UAC means Microsoft Store and Native Windows 10 apps stop functioning.
 Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-03 06:13 PM

Yeah... even their stupid new Edge browser wont run with that reg hack.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-03 06:39 PM

I actually found that when building hte image Arend, I have tried the registry version of disabling UAC, and just dragging it to the bottom of the slider, no luck each way.

I had tried a different NIC driver, still no luck.

The only thing that confuses me more, is it works if I open command prompt and type out what kix is doing...

net use S: \\e500srv2\share

that works, every time, but kix cannot seem to map it on its own, thinks its mapped still.

(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-03 09:17 PM

This is why you should try my script - it doesn't use native Kix mapping methods, so it may get through and identify the issue.

Glenn

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-03 09:26 PM

Is the kixtart executable located on the network or do you a local copy that you are executing?

Arend_
(MM club member)
2016-06-04 09:15 PM

The only thing I can still think of is enabling Linked Connections:
 Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

Reboot after this.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-04 11:32 PM

Oh, but the registry hack wasn't supposedly needed...

Allen?

Personally I believe this to be the most likely solution

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-05 05:23 AM

I don't use it at all, especially since MS openly says it's not supported. It might fix his problem but opens the doors to others.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-05 08:38 AM

They have said its not supported since vista. Them idiots said logonscripts are not supported. So what? You still use kixtart? Even when it was included in reskit, there was a disclaimer of it being unsupported.

Microsoft support has always been a joke any ways and bears no meaning what so ever.

The point is not to ask for the non-existing support but to make the product we paid for work as promised in the first place.

(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-05 02:01 PM

Microsoft doesn't support anything in the Resource Kits, officially, because they don't perform any security testing on the components, nor do they provide any ongoing updates even if security issues are identified.

Clearly, that's not the exact case with Kixtart, as Ruud has been supporting and updating this since the original release.

As for the reg hack, I've never deployed it at any customer site, nor have I deployed it internally. I've never had issues reported with drive mappings, and my script has been deployed at several large schools as well as several global organizations (the largest having nearly 30,000 users). While I can't attest that admins at sites where the script is in use but I don't support haven't deployed the reg-hack, I'd expect that they would have first reported a failure of the script to map drives, and that has not happened.

Glenn

AllenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-05 06:37 PM

Logonscripts are not supported? I need to look into that.

Regardless, I'm doing nothing out of the ordinary to map drives. I'm doing the same thing I did 16 years ago when Windows 2000 was out.

Arend_
(MM club member)
2016-06-05 10:29 PM

They have said its not supported since vista. Them idiots said logonscripts are not supported. So what? You still use kixtart? Even when it was included in reskit, there was a disclaimer of it being unsupported.

Microsoft support has always been a joke any ways and bears no meaning what so ever.

The point is not to ask for the non-existing support but to make the product we paid for work as promised in the first place.

Apparently it was still a problem in Windows 8.1 so I supposed it still applies to Windows 10.
Besides, I personally think this is exactly what is going on, and if this registry change fixes his problem then he knows where to look.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-06 02:04 AM

True.

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-06 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Glenn Barnas
This is why you should try my script - it doesn't use native Kix mapping methods, so it may get through and identify the issue.

Glenn

Where is your file exactly? I tried looking on your site, didn't see it anywhere obvious.

Is the kixtart executable located on the network or do you a local copy that you are executing?

local and on network, I have been trying both methods.

Originally Posted By: Arend_
The only thing I can still think of is enabling Linked Connections:
 Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

Reboot after this.

no such luck, still not mapping.

Oh, but the registry hack wasn't supposedly needed...

Allen?

Personally I believe this to be the most likely solution

What reg hack was that? same as I tried with Arend?

Logonscripts are not supported? I need to look into that.

Regardless, I'm doing nothing out of the ordinary to map drives. I'm doing the same thing I did 16 years ago when Windows 2000 was out.

So are we, this log on script was here before me, which was 2006ish. But Windows 10 is having issues.

(KiX Supporter)
2016-06-07 02:09 AM

http://www.innotechcg.com - products tab, Universal Login Script is second menu item on left.
You'll need to register to download - I only use the email to notify of bug fixes and major updates.

Glenn

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-16 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Glenn Barnas
www.innotechcg.com - products tab, Universal Login Script is second menu item on left.
You'll need to register to download - I only use the email to notify of bug fixes and major updates.

Glenn

So what is unique about your script that may help me here?

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-16 06:46 PM

well [censored], I think I fixed it. I was looking through differences of those that were always working and those that were sporadic. The kix32.exe file was set to compatibility mode run as admin on those that were NOT working. I unchecked that and it started working, so hopefully that was it.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-17 04:48 AM

So it was the admin token vs. User token! Hah.

Wonder why linked connections didn't fix it then...

Arend_
(MM club member)
2016-06-17 03:20 PM

My thoughts exactly!

vivithemage
(Fresh Scripter)
2016-06-17 04:04 PM

Or why net use was working via cmd line, but when calling a new batch file with the same commands didn't work. How odd.

When you run as admin on a executable, what is different, what changes? Either way, I learned a lot about how the kix script works, more then I need to know probably, haha. I also updated my OP, so nobody has to dig through here if they have the same issue.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2016-06-18 12:22 AM

Net use and kix both work. But due to credential level isolation, non-elevated programs couldn't see the mappings.

Like we commented, the enablelinkedconnections registry hack should have worked.

Compatibility mode being enabled might have added an extra level of isolation though.